+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: USB works, WiFi doesn't

is a discussion within the

MyWi

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
I'm trying the trial on a jailbroken 3GS - I downloaded the app via Cydia. The lack of any documentation made things difficult, but I eventually figured out I needed
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default USB works, WiFi doesn't
    I'm trying the trial on a jailbroken 3GS - I downloaded the app via Cydia. The lack of any documentation made things difficult, but I eventually figured out I needed to do a reset after installing in order for the MyWi application to show up.

I could get USB tethering to work fine, but for WiFi, the phone application says "Starting network services", then "Retrying", and about 30 seconds later it turns WiFi tethering back off. On the PC side, the application simply says "Waiting for iPhone connection".

What am I missing?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonat View Post
    I'm trying the trial on a jailbroken 3GS - I downloaded the app via Cydia. The lack of any documentation made things difficult, but I eventually figured out I needed to do a reset after installing in order for the MyWi application to show up.

I could get USB tethering to work fine, but for WiFi, the phone application says "Starting network services", then "Retrying", and about 30 seconds later it turns WiFi tethering back off. On the PC side, the application simply says "Waiting for iPhone connection".

What am I missing?
    Which application on the PC side?
    If I helped you, bang on that 'Thanks' button.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The RockMyPhone application - is there another?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    First, I did not jailbreak my iPhone 3GS, I simply installed the rock your phone app and then MyFi.
    Second, USB tethering works perfectly on my Macbook Pro using Bootcamp Windows XP.
    Third, in order to get the wifi tethering to work I found I had to sometimes first "Prime the pump" by simply using the 3GS to surf the net to any webpage while MyFi is activated. This seems to enable the wifi tethering and I can get my old iPhone 3G to work, tethered wirelessly to the 3GS.
    Fourth, it is definitly faster than PDAnet. Though wifi tethering is not perfect I have no regrets about purchasing this software. Simply amazing to me and those I show it to.
    Last edited by Urrl; 07-21-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Also I was having problems in XP till I got into control panel and did the create network wizard thingy.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonat View Post
    The RockMyPhone application - is there another?
    If you downloaded MyWi through Cydia, then you don't need the PC client for it to work. The RockYourPhone application on the PC side's sole purpose is application syncing and installation, it has nothing to do with application functionality on the phone, except for licensing.

You probably want to install the RockApp on the phone, and install any RockYourPhone applications through that, at least to reduce the variables. It can be found in Cydia, just search for RockApp, or use the PC client to install it. For licensing reasons, you'll probably also want a RockYourPhone account.

Sorry for not checking back earlier in the week.
    If I helped you, bang on that 'Thanks' button.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not sure what I did differently this time, but I got it to work. Good to know that the desktop app is not part of the process - that was very confusing to me.

As I noted originally, I downloaded the RockYourPhone app through Cydia. Once I verified that the WiFi tethering worked, I bought a license.