+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi is really just an ad-hoc network

is a discussion within the

MyWi

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
I was excited about this app since my company has now stopped providing cellular modems for us. Unfortunately, counter to documentation, the app sets up an ad-hoc network rather than
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default MyWi is really just an ad-hoc network
    I was excited about this app since my company has now stopped providing cellular modems for us. Unfortunately, counter to documentation, the app sets up an ad-hoc network rather than emulating an actually wifi router/access point. My company's policies disable connection to ad-hoc networks for security reasons so as I result, I can't connect to MyWi which uses ad-hoc.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

True, I had similar issues connecting a device to my MyWi network. Granted, it was a blackberry and it was just a test, but I can see this being an issue for those using company issued laptops. Hopefully people take advantage of the 10 day trial to see if it will work for their situation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone skeredmobile's Avatar
    Thanks

i think we need somebody to make an app that allows u to tether not only ur 3G connection but also your WiFi connection in case 1. ur laptop doesnt have a wifi card, or more importantly 2. when u are using free WiFi at starbucks on ur iPhone, u can link it to ur laptop and still surf for free.... lol

just a thought

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skeredmobile View Post
    i think we need somebody to make an app that allows u to tether not only ur 3G connection but also your WiFi connection in case 1. ur laptop doesnt have a wifi card, or more importantly 2. when u are using free WiFi at starbucks on ur iPhone, u can link it to ur laptop and still surf for free.... lol

just a thought

Yes, lets waste our time creating a complicated app that will work for the 0.0005% of people that have a laptop without a wifi-card. Dude, its 2009, if your laptop doesnt have wifi you can just buy a USB wifi adapter for less than $5

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
    Yes, lets waste our time creating a complicated app that will work for the 0.0005% of people that have a laptop without a wifi-card. Dude, its 2009, if your laptop doesnt have wifi you can just buy a USB wifi adapter for less than $5
    What's this "wifi" thing you guys keep talking about?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Everyone knows they can plug their phones into their computers through the USB cable and turn on USB tethering from within MyWi, right?. The phone installs itself as a network device. And you don't have to worry about wifi or anything like that. Your computer will even use the free internet at Starbucks through the USB tether to your phone (at least in my experience, the phone uses the fastest connection available to it for any network access, which in the case of internet, is wifi).
    Last edited by diablo_man5666; 07-14-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: additional info

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diablo_man5666 View Post
    Everyone knows they can plug their phones into their computers through the USB cable and turn on USB tethering from within MyWi, right?. The phone installs itself as a network device. And you don't have to worry about wifi or anything like that. Your computer will even use the free internet at Starbucks through the USB tether to your phone (at least in my experience, the phone uses the fastest connection available to it for any network access, which in the case of internet, is wifi).
    The problem with that is the inconvenience of having to carry a cable around and also some companies restrict what USB devices can be plugged in to their notebooks (not mine but some do). The MyWi idea really is a great solution if it just worked like a real access point.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by threeonparfive View Post
    The problem with that is the inconvenience of having to carry a cable around and also some companies restrict what USB devices can be plugged in to their notebooks (not mine but some do). The MyWi idea really is a great solution if it just worked like a real access point.
    I suppose that creates something of an issue. I just throw an extra cable in my backpack. I did have some issues with wifi tethering with MyWi, but they were supposedly fixed in the later versions of the software. I don't really know how well that part works now because I just use the USB tethering.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So is it even technically possible to have this app truly present itself as an access point?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@threeonparfive. Sure it's possible. It's just software. But is it economically feassble? That's the real issue!!

Thanks

You're carrying a laptop around and don't have room for a sync cable? jeez

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    You're carrying a laptop around and don't have room for a sync cable? jeez
    Sure...I'm going to pay $10 for a wifi app that I can only use with a cable. That would make of hell of a lot of sense....especially when that feature will soon be free with built-in features of the phone. Is this purpose of this forum not product improvement and support?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone know if the new version presents as an actual access point now or still just adhoc?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It is still adhoc, with 3.1.10 but you can also your bluetooth to easily tether with this version.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teej1234 View Post
    It is still adhoc, with 3.1.10 but you can also your bluetooth to easily tether with this version.
    Unfortunately, our notebooks were ordered without bluetooth chips in them....also due to security. Apparently it's really challenging to make software like this present itself as a real (infrastructure) access point.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

Update to the latest version, 3.2. Solves the issues.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just downloaded the latest version, and I can confirm it works as an actual router. At least that is how it shows up on my network connections, and it worked great wirelessly. Also, it was very, very fast, and I am still on edge.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nope...just re-installed this morning and it's still adhoc (and blocked by our policies)

I wish they would get this fixed. These replies really got my hopes up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Same problem here. The product description really got my hopes up about this software enabling my iPhone to appear as an access point for my laptop, but in reality it appears as a computer-to-computer connection which is blocked by my company's security policy.

I will have to uninstall for now and check back later to see if this can really do what it claims to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

The product does broadcast as a wifi access point when wifi is enabled. Maybe check how you are setting this up. Just a comment.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to metaserph For This Useful Post:

skeels (11-02-2010)