Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi Release notes

Default Cannot do VPN with AT&T Network Client???
    On a positive note, I was able to get the MiWi app up and running quickly on my iPhone 3GS v3.1.2, and my Windows XP laptop was quickly able to go to popular web pages via the USB connection.

Unfortunately, the AT&T Network Client software cannot complete a VPN connection using this Internet connectivity. So the only real benefit to having this software is eliminated since I can't get back to the corporate network with it.

Is it possible that AT&T is blocking the VPN connectivity?
    Has anyone gotten this to work?

***thanks***
    Rich

Default For bigreddo, AT&T net client VPN
    Had the same problem, could not get through to corporate network.
    I upgraded the AT&T net client to version 7.6.3.3012 and it worked immediately. Hope this helps you.

K2

Had the same problem, could not get through to corporate network.
    I upgraded the AT&T net client to version 7.6.3.3012 and it worked immediately. Hope this helps you.

K2
    Last edited by KikkoKakinni; 12-14-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hello everyone,

i am a new member of this forum and i was hoping some of you guys have solutions for some of my Mywi problems.

i jailbroke my phone using blackra1n, the jailbreak went smoothly and very easily.

i then proceeded to install mywi(norock) through cydia. after the installation process, the phone prompts for a reboot, and unfortunately the reboot killed the phone and i needed to restore the phone to factory settings through itunes. lost all of my downloaded apps.

started the whole process over, and ended up with the same dead phone needing to reboot. after that instead of rebooting, i just pressed the home key to exit. the mywi worked since.

is there a fix for this? because some of the other apps that i want to use require the phone to be restarted to work (winterboard).

my next issue is after using mywi, my phone still detects my home wifi router, but no longer able to use it as an internet source, i since turned off the wifi on the phone so that i can use the internet on my phone through 3g when i am in my house.

lastly, when i turn the mywi off, my phone continues to have the green bar saying that wifi is enabled, i've used the mywi fix button to fix it, but i'd hate to always respring the phone just to get out of mywi.

sorry for the lengthy complaint, but i have browsed through the forum without any luck in finding some answers.

any help would be appreciated.

Can somebody please clarify for me.

If I use MyWi to enable 'USB/Bluetooth' tethering will this funnel tethered data through my 'normal' internet APN? i.e. the network won't know this data going to a tethered laptop (without detailed packet inspection)?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stuartleitch View Post
    Can somebody please clarify for me.

If I use MyWi to enable 'USB/Bluetooth' tethering will this funnel tethered data through my 'normal' internet APN? i.e. the network won't know this data going to a tethered laptop (without detailed packet inspection)?
    It sounds like you are worried that AT&T will discover your tethered phone and shut you down.

I have been using my phone as a tether for 2 years. I spend 9 months of the year on the road and am online 15 hours a day.

If AT&T is monitoring my usage, they either don't care or are too stupid to do anything about it.

That is mean to say. I have no complaints about AT&T [unlike many of my acquaintances]. Their tethered speeds rival slow DSL - which is more than acceptable on a boat off the coast of Los Angeles!

Hi,

I'm on Vodafone in the UK, but it's not really that I'm concerned they detect me tethering. They provide a tethering APN, and a normal on-phone data apn, but without an expensive iPhone tarriff they don't allow access to the tethering apn. So what I need is a solution which has my iPhone send tethering data to the standard apn. Does that make sense?

I don't tether regularly, but it's useful to be able to, so my standard data allowance will dwarf my usage.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The only Apple sanctioned carrier in the U.S. is AT&T - and they don't offer tethering at all on the iPhone.

A couple of jailbreak options exist. I have tried them all and IMHO MyWi is the best. It's the only way I keep from paying for an additional wifi device - which is what AT&T would prefer I do.

I also own iPhone Modem, which is a close second. I was forced to buy it after the 3.0 update when MyWi took too long to upgrade itself and iPhone Modem was out sooner.

Thanks for the info, just to be clear do you use MyWi via wifi or Bluetooth? What I was really asking was "Does MyWi hack bluetooth tethering to look as if the data is being consumed on the phone itself?"

I'm hoping that I can bluetooth tether my iPad to my iPhone later this year (to avoid another data contract) , although MyWi provides an excellent backup option, I believe that doing it that way would murder the iPhone battery quite quickly.

I've just re-jailbroken a phone (after much agony!!) that was accidentally upgraded to 3.1.3, but when I go to install MyWi again it tells me it's incompatible. Will there be a fix for this coming down the pike?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by artopia View Post
    I've just re-jailbroken a phone (after much agony!!) that was accidentally upgraded to 3.1.3, but when I go to install MyWi again it tells me it's incompatible. Will there be a fix for this coming down the pike?

Thanks.
    3.1.3 is a deal killer

You'll have to "back rev" to 3.1.2 or earlier, re jailbreak, and then reinstall Rock/miwi.

Search Cydia for Firmware 3.1.3 spoofer and use it to set your firmware to 3.1.2.

This will not change your firmware but apps intalled will think you are on 3.1.2.

It does mean that if you have apps looking for 3.1.3 they won't install but will run if you install them under 3.1.3.

Hopefully that will work for you. If not, then you may need to downgrade the firmware to 3.1.2.

Good luck.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artopia View Post

Thanks.
    What are the others talking about? I've upgraded to 3.1.3 and am still running MyWi. I use it with my iPad - since I didn't get the 3G model.

Rock has had a hellova lot of upgrades over the past month. Just make sure everything is current.

Why did I upgrade? Sure, there's no new features, but my phone was crashing far too often. It used to be stable as hell. But a couple of months ago it began acting up, not letting me answer calls and taking forever to open and close apps. I was losing business!

So I bit the bullet and let iTunes upgrade me. Then I downloaded Pwnage Tool and re-jailbreaked it. It was PAINLESS!

I always uncheck all my apps and music, etc. when I jailbreak and don't reinstall them all until I'm done. I put Rock back on first and let it reinstall everything. Once my jailbreak apps were up to snuff, I let iTunes fill it back up - and everything's been running great ever since - including MyWi!

Default Same here 3.1.3
    Same here with v3.1.3 on my 3G other than a minor problem with up/down totals when not using WiFi and just USB tethering it works perfectly. Though, I'd like to get that minor problem fixed it doesn't seem to impact being able to tether. I am actually using it right this moment.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by titanshadow View Post
    Same here with v3.1.3 on my 3G other than a minor problem with up/down totals when not using WiFi and just USB tethering it works perfectly. Though, I'd like to get that minor problem fixed it doesn't seem to impact being able to tether. I am actually using it right this moment.
    MyWi has ALWAYS had that problem displaying incorrect throughput totals. I have submitted numerous bug reports.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfu View Post
    MyWi has ALWAYS had that problem displaying incorrect throughput totals. I have submitted numerous bug reports.
    I can't imagine that it isn't correctable either... If a feature is going to be had and forced on (no off switch) then it should be correct. I love the other work done on it but that bugs me. I would rather have it not display anything than display incorrect information.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can't imagine that it isn't correctable either... If a feature is going to be had and forced on (no off switch) then it should be correct. I love the other work done on it but that bugs me. I would rather have it not display anything than display incorrect information.
    It really isn't a feature of MyWi. Its built-in to the iPhone OS. If you lived in any other country in the world - one whose carriers allow tethering - you'd get the same blue banner across the screen while tethered. MyWi is simply "allowing" your phone's built-in tethering.

The other obvious benefit over the built-in tether is being able to do this over wifi - becoming a mobile wifi hot-spot. (USB and Bluetooth are built-in.) This is beginning to be more and more invaluable to me since I bought a wifi-only iPad. (I didn't want to pay another monthly service fee.)

So whatever MyWi is doing to "allow" tethering is activating the native controls. And since the native controls aren't aware that they've been turned on, they display incorrectly. MyWi has to get in between the native controls and the system calls that they reference.

It's probably just as hard to suppress the feedback as it is to fix it. My hat's off to MyWi for what they've been able to do. It works. I can use my laptop and iPad while floating off the coast on a sailboat. Hard to complain about that!

Quote Originally Posted by bdfu View Post
    It really isn't a feature of MyWi. Its built-in to the iPhone OS. If you lived in any other country in the world - one whose carriers allow tethering - you'd get the same blue banner across the screen while tethered. MyWi is simply "allowing" your phone's built-in tethering.

The other obvious benefit over the built-in tether is being able to do this over wifi - becoming a mobile wifi hot-spot. (USB and Bluetooth are built-in.) This is beginning to be more and more invaluable to me since I bought a wifi-only iPad. (I didn't want to pay another monthly service fee.)

So whatever MyWi is doing to "allow" tethering is activating the native controls. And since the native controls aren't aware that they've been turned on, they display incorrectly. MyWi has to get in between the native controls and the system calls that they reference.

It's probably just as hard to suppress the feedback as it is to fix it. My hat's off to MyWi for what they've been able to do. It works. I can use my laptop and iPad while floating off the coast on a sailboat. Hard to complain about that!
    You are correct in all places but one... The up/down totals are not part of the built in OS... Here is a screenshot of a legit tethering user:

And here is the lock screen, which has also been modified...

As you can see the totals are provided by MyWi, it should very much be able to be turned off in my opinion, it doesn't work, and thus while a great idea and very useful when working. It doesn't and it is something MyWi provides, through what you said by standing between the system API calls and the interface to add the data to the tethered blue banner.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You are correct in all places but one... The up/down totals are not part of the built in OS... Here is a screenshot of a legit tethering user:

And here is the lock screen, which has also been modified...

As you can see the totals are provided by MyWi, it should very much be able to be turned off in my opinion, it doesn't work, and thus while a great idea and very useful when working. It doesn't and it is something MyWi provides, through what you said by standing between the system API calls and the interface to add the data to the tethered blue banner.
    They are definitely MyWi's. That's what I meant by having to insert itself into the API. The OS displays the tethering blue banner, but it knows nothing about MyWi so its up to MyWi to inject correct data. In the early incarnation of MyWi it displayed 0 up and 0 down even though it was obvious that bits were being transferred. The OS knew something was going on but it didn't know what.

Does anyone know hot to properly uninstall mywi??I uninstalled it in cydia and Restored my iphone but my iphones wifi still shows up on my laptop and my battery dies super quickly even when mywi is shut off and uninstalled.I have an iphone 3g and 3.1.2 using the cracked version of mywi.Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by coltraver View Post
    Does anyone know hot to properly uninstall mywi??I uninstalled it in cydia and Restored my iphone but my iphones wifi still shows up on my laptop and my battery dies super quickly even when mywi is shut off and uninstalled.I have an iphone 3g and 3.1.2 using the cracked version of mywi.Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    where did you get cracked version of MyWi?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast