Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Install alone?

Banned
    Thanks

Default Install alone?
    So heres the big question... can you install this app without having install that terrible rock your iphone client/installer app which ties itself destructively into a users whole phone causing them to Restore just to remove all traces of it.

Thanks

Which app do you mean exactly?
    I have not heard of another way to do this, to install those apps, you need Rock app installed which is annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
    So heres the big question... can you install this app without having install that terrible rock your iphone client/installer app which ties itself destructively into a users whole phone causing them to Restore just to remove all traces of it.

You need some sort of jailbreak, I'm sure its available through Cydia, but I'm not sure how licensing would work. Simply, you can't run non-Apple or non-Apple-approved software on the phone without jailbreaking in some fashion. Apple apps are signed, and the jailbreak process (someone correct me here if I'm wrong) essentially convinces the device to ignore the fact that jailbreak apps aren't signed.

At least that is my understanding.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diablo_man5666 View Post
    You need some sort of jailbreak, I'm sure its available through Cydia, but I'm not sure how licensing would work. Simply, you can't run non-Apple or non-Apple-approved software on the phone without jailbreaking in some fashion. Apple apps are signed, and the jailbreak process (someone correct me here if I'm wrong) essentially convinces the device to ignore the fact that jailbreak apps aren't signed.

At least that is my understanding.

Thats nice to know,however Jailbreaking has nothing to do with my question.

Ill reiterate
    I want to be able to install these apps without installing the Rock My Iphone client app which totally butchers our systems and ties itself in such a fashion that we're forced to RESTORE to remove the app.
    Which in itself tells you how badly it wraps itself into our file structure.

Thanks

I would say that is going to be the only way you are able to install the app. $9.99 I can go with out it
    iPhone 4 | iMac 24" | MacBook Pro 15" | ATV | iPod Classic | Time Capsule | iPad 16 Gb |

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickh View Post
    I would say that is going to be the only way you are able to install the app. $9.99 I can go with out it
    me too, and the fact that it uses the native portal for tethering is a very bad thing.

ATT in other words will know right off the bat that your absolutely tethering, however when using PDANET they wont-the server could think your streaming a movie or something.

Carrbone - You can uninstall Rock Your Phone at will. The original release couldn't be uninstalled - just like Cydia couldn't be uninstalled. We changed things for the better
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to skeels For This Useful Post:

Carrbone (07-08-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    Carrbone - You can uninstall Rock Your Phone at will. The original release couldn't be uninstalled - just like Cydia couldn't be uninstalled. We changed things for the better
    That is GREAT to hear, psuskeels. That's the primary reason I've been avoiding going back to RYP apps since getting my 3GS.

Now, with respect to MyWi -- forgive me is this is a ridiculous question, but is the point of this app that it creates a WiFi hotspot using the iPhone's 3G connection (i.e., like an aircard)?

eballesq: Yes - it creates a wifi hotspot to use the connection
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE]Carrbone - You can uninstall Rock Your Phone at will. The original release couldn't be uninstalled - just like Cydia couldn't be uninstalled. We changed things for the better[QUOTE]

That's good to hear that's one of the reasons I've avoided it so far. So can I install this app and then uninstal rock your phone leaving just mywi on my iphone?

Thanks in advance.

does mywi have 3gs support?

Thanks

How do you uninstall it? There is no uninstall button on the app itself, and the computer doesn't let you uninstall it either.

Thanks

do you just uninstall it through cydia?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lach View Post
    do you just uninstall it through cydia?
    does cydia remove everything though?
    Last edited by Chase817; 07-08-2009 at 09:51 AM.

Yes - it has 3GS support.

Cydia does not remove RYP completely. Needs to manually delete:
    1. RYP folder in /private/var/mobile/Library
    2. a) com.rockyourphone.rockapp.plist and
    b) com.mywi.plist in /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences

Yes - you are correct - the preferences files are left behind by most apps - in case you want to reinstall them and keep the prefs. it's just a few kb. don't think it's hogging disk space
    Last edited by skeels; 07-10-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    Yes - you are correct - the preferences files are left behind by most apps - in case you want to reinstall them and keep the prefs. it's just a few kb. don't think it's hogging disk space
    Since RYP does some kind of its own jailbreak, is it sufficient to just delete the files you mentioned?

Also, given the nature of most RYP apps, I presume there's a "hooks" system involved, like MobileSubstrate or something. So, again, will we have our phones the way they were just by deleting those files?