+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WiFi Detection Bug Report

is a discussion within the

MyProfiles

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
Hi, I've noticed a couple of bugs in profile selection. The Rules Engine is only intermittently spotting my WiFi network (which has a hidden SSID). If I run "Analyse now"
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default WiFi Detection Bug Report
    Hi,

I've noticed a couple of bugs in profile selection.
    • The Rules Engine is only intermittently spotting my WiFi network (which has a hidden SSID). If I run "Analyse now" from the Engine Log, it then gets the right answer. The logs from the bad analysis say "Checking wifiName: blah", while those from the good analysis say "Checking connected WiFi: blah wanted: blah". I think that what is happening is that the iPhone drops the WiFi connection when the phone is locked, and the analysis therefore fails to spot it. I've done some tests, and the iPhone takes 17 secs from being unlocked to displaying the WiFi icon.
    • When the profile is updated by the above procedure and you return to the "current profile" screen, the profile shown as current is the old profile, not the new one.

Hope this helps,

Richard
    Last edited by Rich_F; 06-01-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Extra Information

Previously known as psuskeels
    Thanks

Hi Richard - Yes - hidden SSID's are not supported as the phone must connect to the WiFi before it's detected (too much battery power). When the phone dims, it disconnects. During the phone being dimmed, MyProfiles will scan (as it's no longer connected). This is the difference between running a manual analysis (it's connected) vs the scan while it's "sleeping".
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response.

Is there any prospect of this being fixed? It feels as though the Rules Engine needs to wake up the WiFi before checking connection to a WiFi network (possibly requiring the user to flag this when setting up the WiFi location - and accepting the consequent battery drain).

Previously known as psuskeels
    Thanks

It could be done - can you go with publishing the SSID for the workaround - or possibly find another published SSID in the same area?
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm afraid that those workarounds won't work - it's an office network, and I don't have control over the configuration.

The only workaround I can think of is to buy a bluetooth dongle for my PC and detect that - but that's not an ideal solution! If I did take that approach, would I need to have bluetooth enabled in any of the profiles, or would it be activated automatically during the profile selection process?

I've also been having a play with the location-based profile selection, and found it not-very-usable - largely, I guess, because I'm trying to use it to detect indoor locations with no GPS coverage.

The first problem is in setting a location when you haven't got a good fix. It would be great if you had the ability to reposition the center and view/modify the size of the area that the location should match. Also need to zoom in/out of the map.

The second problem is in matching against a location when you don't have a good fix. The obvious logic would seem to be that you match a location if there is any intersection between the current area of uncertainty and the area of the location. Is this how it is meant to be working?

I hope I'm not taking up too much of your time with all this. I think that MyProfile is great for a beta release, and will be a must-have application.

Thanks,

Richard
    Last edited by Rich_F; 06-02-2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost