+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MultiFlow causes the "Open In" command to freeze phone

is a discussion within the

multifl0w

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
Hi guys, I noticed a while back that my phone had started freezing whenever I tried using the "Open In" feature (opening any file with the "open in" command, transferring
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Ins0mniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Unhappy MultiFlow causes the "Open In" command to freeze phone
    Hi guys,

I noticed a while back that my phone had started freezing whenever I tried using the "Open In" feature (opening any file with the "open in" command, transferring a file from one app to another). It too me a while to work out what was causing the issue, but I eventually narrowed it down to Multilfl0w.

I noticed other people have had this problem after some googling, and there's even mention of it by Chevy in this thread.

As soon as I uninstall Multifl0w the problem is fixed, but I love Multiflow and use it constantly and would hate to have to lose it and fall back to Apple's default task switcher.

My question is has anyone else here experienced the same problem with Multifl0w installed? If so have you found a solution or workaround?

I tried contacting the developer (Aaron Ash) but he's away at the moment for a few weeks with limited internet access, so no luck there.

I really love Multifl0w, but rely heavily on the "Open In" feature, so I would hate to have to permanently remove Multifl0w to fix this problem.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 850 Posts

What iOS version are you running? If it hasn't been updated for 4.3.1, then all you can do is sit back and wait for Aaron to fix it.

The only problem I ever had with MultiFlow was the option to tap the black area to return to the homescreen. It didn't work for the longest time, but just when I went to write a lengthy email to Aaron asking him if this was a known bug, it decided to start working.

Actually, I'm not sure I understand this "Open In" feature you're talking about. How would I use that? Like in iFile?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    What iOS version are you running? If it hasn't been updated for 4.3.1, then all you can do is sit back and wait for Aaron to fix it.
    I'm using an iPhone 4 on 4.3.1. Jailbroken with Redsn0w.

Actually, I'm not sure I understand this "Open In" feature you're talking about. How would I use that? Like in iFile?
    Yes. But also many other programs like Quick Office Pro, GoodReader, Documents2Go and even just opening a file in email. i.e. if I want to open a video file in VLC, or even just a pdf that's been emailed to me in GoodReader or iBooks. When you select the "Open In" command in any program that supports it, it will bring up a list of programs that support that file type to open it in. It's when selecting from that list of programs that the phone freezes.

When you're in ifile, try the 'open in' command, and try opening a text file etc in another program and see if freezes your phone. I bet you it does because I've disabled every single other mobilesubstrate extension (via SB Settings) except Multifl0w to test it, and it only freezes when Multifl0w is installed/active.

Apparently Aaron has been aware of this problem for about 6 months as another user emailed him about it, but it's still not fixed.

The 'Open In' command was one the best features introduced in IOS4, and I use it all the time. However Multifl0w is probably my favourite jailbreak tweak (I hate Apple's default task switcher) so it's driving me crazy trying to decide between the two. At the moment I'm having to disable Multifl0w via SB Settings and respring my phone before opening any files! Not exactly the slickest of solutions.

I'm going to keep asking for updates from Aaron until this is fixed as it's a pretty major problem. I'm surprised more people haven't noticed it.

Any one else noticed this, or found a solution/work around?

Thanks

Ah, yeah I know what you mean now. That menu always pops up with Goodreader as one of the options.

Ok, I tested it by opening up a random png from a game folder, then sent it to Goodreader. It worked just fine. I'm on a 4.3.1 Touch. Have you only seen this problem on text files? Is there a certain type of file you use more than another?

What if the problem is with the program you're opening the file to? Have you tried uninstalling/ reinstalling the AppStore programs?

Did you download all of these programs legitimately (Cydia and AppStore)? If so, that may be a factor.

Thanks

Have you only seen this problem on text files? Is there a certain type of file you use more than another?
    I tried it with everything from text files to avi's (docs, pdfs, images.. you name it). It freezes every time. Have also tried it with at least 7 or 8 different programs (trying to use the "open in" command from each one) and it freezes with all of them. Every time the phone requires a hard reboot to fix.

What if the problem is with the program you're opening the file to? Have you tried uninstalling/ reinstalling the AppStore programs?
    Yep, tried that with some of them too. But if it were just one program causing the problem, they wouldn't all be affected.

Did you download all of these programs legitimately (Cydia and AppStore)? If so, that may be a factor.
    Yes. I have no cracked apps from either Cydia or the App Store currently on my device.

The thing is it's definitely Mutlfl0w causing the problem, because if I go in and disable every single mobile substrate tweak except Multifl0w it still freezes. However as soon as Multifl0w is disabled, the problem goes away.

Plus other users have reported the same problem with Multifl0w so there's no doubt something to do with it is causing the problem. Just strange that some people have the issue, and others don't.

I'm currently restoring/upgrading to 4.3.3 and re-jailbreaking. (Needed to for other reasons anyway). Hopefully that fixes it.

Thanks

I'm currently restoring/upgrading to 4.3.3 and re-jailbreaking. (Needed to for other reasons anyway). Hopefully that fixes it.
    Yeah, let us know how it turns out!

Oh, I also thought of something else: what about the MultiFlow settings? Have you tried alternating some of the features ON and OFF?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Multifl0w settings
    I have an iPad and iPhone, both with ios 4.3.1, only one of which had this exact same problem! "open in" on email attachments or programs like dropbox would only crash my iphone, but not my iPad!!! Thanks to this post i found out it was multifl0w causing the problem, but my iPad has this installed too without the problem!!!

The previous poster had the clue to the solution: There was a settings difference between my iPad and iPhone. The problem is caused by the "app icon overlays". If you switch this off, it works again!!

Edit: i just switched app icon overlays back on and "open in" keeps on working as normal now. Crazy. Anyhoo, my problem is solved now. Hope this helps you too.

Edit 2: If you respring or reboot, the problem is back again! So best to keep app icon overlays off. Perhaps this is just a 4.3.1 problem, not sure. Not going to update until ios5, but perhaps OP can let us know if 4.3.3 has it too.
    Last edited by jb1299; 06-15-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Further info

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jb1299 For This Useful Post:

Ins0mniac (06-17-2011), Jahooba (06-15-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Same Problem in my iphone4 4.3.3 (jailbreak with RedsnOw)

Disabling all mobile substrates except Multifl0w was useless too.

Only solution is disabling "Overlay App Icons" in Multifl0w setting.
    Last edited by vict78; 06-15-2011 at 05:02 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vict78 For This Useful Post:

Ins0mniac (06-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jb1299 View Post

The previous poster had the clue to the solution: There was a settings difference between my iPad and iPhone. The problem is caused by the "app icon overlays". If you switch this off, it works again!!

Edit: i just switched app icon overlays back on and "open in" keeps on working as normal now. Crazy. Anyhoo, my problem is solved now. Hope this helps you too.
    Thanks so much dude. That fixed the problem immediately! I had tried messing around with the Multifl0w settings previously, but I clearly wasn't thorough enough, as turning off App Icon Overlays definitely fixes the problem. I've beeen transferring all sorts of files from one app to another and not once have I had a crash

It's strange that such an important function of the phone can be completely disabled by such a trivial feature in Multifl0w. I'm surpised the dev has not worried about fixing it given how long he's been aware of it. I quite like the app overlays though so I hope he gets around to it some day.

Thanks again for your help.