+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Goodbye ModMyiF0ne. Hello ModMyi.

is a discussion within the

MMi Site News

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Saturday we told you ModMyiF0ne.com (intentionally misspelled throughout article - we're rewriting the correct spelling, so it wouldn't show up) would be ending. We meant it, kinda. Over the course
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Default Goodbye ModMyiF0ne. Hello ModMyi.

Saturday we told you ModMyiF0ne.com (intentionally misspelled throughout article - we're rewriting the correct spelling, so it wouldn't show up) would be ending. We meant it, kinda.

Over the course of the last year or so, we've been in a constant, quiet legal battle with Apple in regards to the usage of the iPhone trademark in our site name. After over 10 months of back and forth, and a decent sum of legal bills piling up (hopefully for them too - I'm sure their lawyers cost more than ours ), we've settled with Apple and agreed to stop all usage of the ModMyiF0ne (as well as our original ModMyiPhone) name. They, in turn, have agreed to back down.

Some of you may remember October of 2007 when we changed from ModMyiPhone.com to ModMyiF0ne.com. Apple had sent us a letter telling us we had to stop usage of the word iPhone in our name. Not wanting to get in any shindig's with the bigwigs, we quickly agreed and changed domains. Apple, in all their amicable spirits, countered that the word iFone is phonetically similar to iPhone, and thus was still infringing on their trademark. We lawyered up.

Good ol Townsend and Townsend and Crew (Apple Inc.'s legal representatives) and ModMy, LLC have been since tossing punches at each other for a while now, but of course we're no match for Apple - we have neither the time nor the money they do for this kind of stuff. In the end, we wound up with a signed agreement stating if we changed to ModMyi.com and ceased operating under the previous two names, they'd release us of any liability - so here we are. This means no more domain changes - we've got it in writing we're kosher now.

With the move will come a few changes.

You'll notice on the forums home page, we've added tabs at the top.

We're taking this opportunity to broaden our forum discussion areas into all things Apple. Got an iPod Classic? MacBook? Discuss it in our new forums, and watch the front page for all kinds of Apple news now. Of course, our main love is still the iPhone and iPod Touch, and that's what we're all about. We figure, hey, if you guys love Apple products as much as we do, why not talk about 'em?

Also, look for major graphical and structural changes and upgrades to the site all September, as we clean up and organize a ton, add functionality, and tweak stuff that isn't working great a the moment. If there's things you'd like to see at MMi (see, you can still call it MMi ), let us know by commenting in this thread - we're open to suggestions.

ModMyi has grown by leaps and bounds over the past year to become the largest iPhone community on the net. You guys' feedback and participation is what makes us able to offer what we do, and stick around. We started out a year ago running on a single server which a buddy helped us run, and now have a half dozen fully dedicated beefy machines which serve up the ModMy, LLC network of sites. We're dedicated to bringing you the latest in iPhone/iPod Touch modding, tweaking, and customizing (hey, that's why we're here, and what we've been doing since the beginning). We love doing it, and plan on hanging around for a good long while. I don't see Apple stopping production of iPhone's anytime soon - you?

Glad to have you with us, welcome to ModMyi.com.

Oh, and if you've linked to us on any of your sites, blogs, etc, please help us out by changing that link to our new name. This domain change shouldn't be a big deal at all, but we'd still like to have folks pointing to the correct new domain.

Also thanks to the singlehop crew for staying up with us all night helping us get up and running on the new domain name. Props!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

anwar95 (10-07-2008), DoerrFan (09-14-2008), dont (09-14-2008), gafu (09-14-2008), lord1700 (09-14-2008), Poseidon79 (09-14-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Good old Apple lawyers. What's phonetically similar to.........
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Vacuum?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

so this is why the server was down when i was trying to access the page and trying to jailbreak my friends phone. i just told her i will be back tomorrow (today) to continue the jailbreak. ah, well at least all is good with Apple now.

OLD INFO I forgot where to get this again. Link?

Thanks

I can't imagine how much you people would have wasted fighting apple knowing you can't fight them...

Btw, The new name is still short and sweet!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Vacuum?

Thanks

You can call this site whatever you want as long as I still have access to all the great info here! It wouldve been senseless to battle apple.
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

Thanks

Should have changed it to www.ModMyHiphone.com, then they couldn't say a word. lol
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Just a thought that would be a nice to see is in the news section once a topic get old (like a month or so) it be moved into the forums?! Before with over 30 pages of news topics it would be nice to see it kept a little more organized instead of searching through pages of things that could be months old. Just a idea that I would mind seeing. Keep up the good work and this is the only site I get anything for my (i) now LOL

My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

It's all just a bunch of..... on Apples part...
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 09-14-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Thanks

Congrats on the settlement PF. Good to know you guys aren't going anywhere.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Should have changed it to www.ModMyHiphone.com, then they couldn't say a word. lol
    LOL or ModMyEyePhone or ModMyiBone the last one sounds like some pron site.. Yea, I know, they just would of cried about using the "i" term...
    Well at least the war is over and were still here.
    to Apple
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 09-14-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks

im a mod on a few other sites(not phone) and this one in particular is like a second home to me,and after reading the definition of "the end" I knew something was up,but actually thought the wors was going to happen.I was on this site literally all day yesterday trying to save as much information as possible,including downloads,tutorials,etc because I was going to lose a friend,but here you are!!!

cash,p_f,and the rest of the MMI team,thanks for providing a world like this one for us "regular people"that have made a simple telephone a world of wonder -=)

(damn,almost got all emotional and crap)

Thanks

The name of the site doesn't mean squat as long as the search engines pick up the chatter. I'd have "branded" the site all the way and went straight to MMI and pushed it in corporate branding terms from here on.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So glad the site is still here, wan't aware anything was going to happen then BANG it disappeared and all I could find on Google was 'The End'!! Scary stuff.

Are the repos going to be updated as I currently can't get a few apps hosted at the old apt?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Good old Apple lawyers. What's phonetically similar to.........
    Luck Knew Apple wasn't going to beat us down.

Truck a Eue to Apple HQ so it can poo on their lawn.

there you go I even used them in a sentence for you

Green Apple
    Thanks

Figures , more apple nazism. I will never understand why people think the company is so great and cares so much about customers with their constant price gouging and proprietary crap. They are just like any other company. But they do make cool products.

Thanks

What is the issue with using ....ifone. Damn they think there god. How is all the other websites still using all these names and they don't have half the traffic this site does. Apple should be happy this site is here with the name it had. I wouldn't of ever bought a iphone if i didn't see this site first and realize the true potential of the iphone. I wonder what president Apple is going to choose for our country this year, You know since they do have the almighty decision as God....LOL

What's Jailbreak? trumpedup_charges's Avatar
    Thanks
    "Let's go back a year.....look I know why you choose to have your group (cough) therapy sessions in the daytime....what happened? Did your balls fall off?"
    -Joker-

I'm only kidding, most enthusiasts know how to use a search and that's how most have probably found you from the beginning. I believe that if your name was just "mod", you would still have the same amount of people coming through as you do now. I personally have connected a few new loyalists to your great site. By the way, what's wrong with "mmi.com", that's what I have you bookmarked in myphone as.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Nettwerk's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm what is new link for Cydia repository?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast