Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
10-30-2007, 09:50 PM #1
Apple Forces Their Hand on iPhone Trademark. We are changing domains.
Today we received a letter from the friendly legal team of Townsend and Townsend and Crew; Apple Inc.'s legal representatives.
I'll just give you the summary:
- Apple owns, through its Ocean Telecom affiliate numerous U.S. and international filings for the iPhone trademark U.S. Ser. No. 77/007,808.
- Since the services we offer here on MMi are directly related to Apple's iPhone, Apple Inc. believes that ModMyI will inevitably confuse consumers into believing we are associated with Apple Inc., therefore infringing on Apple's Trademark rights.
- Apple is concerned that ModMyI also dilutes and tarnishes the distinctive quality of Apple's famous iPhone mark.
- We are not allowed to use the Apple registered Apple Design Logo No. 2,715,578 that is displayed on our links to several "iPhone Topsites," which are unauthorized third party websites.
- Apple assumes that it is not our intent to create customer confusion. they are correct we are not trying to confuse people
- Apple asks that we abandon the use of all domain names that have iPhone in them on this website and to agree not to use ModMyI or any other mark, name, domain name, logo, tagline, slogan, or anything else that contains iPhone for goods and services related to or competitive with Apple's iPhone or dilutive to Apple's trademark rights.
- Apple further requests that all use of its product photographs and the Apple Design Logo immediately and permanently cease.
We will remain open and continue providing users with the same free services that we currently offer.
The current addresses to different pages on this site will remain the same except the ph will become a f. For example http://modmyi.com/forums/ will become http://modmyi.com/forums/ and so forth.
During our move users may experience short site outages but don't worry, we are not going anywhere and hope you will continue your support of this site under it's new name, ModMyI.
Thank you for your time and support,
Cody Overcash, Kyle Matthews, and the rest of the ModMyI team.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:
10-30-2007, 09:54 PM #2
Just wow man. They are putting the foot down now.
10-30-2007, 09:55 PM #3
They will never stop us. muhaha
I like the new domain name.
You forgot PF. ]:
10-30-2007, 09:56 PM #4
that sux! im ill be @ the new one
id assume the database would carry over so we don't need to resign up
10-30-2007, 09:58 PM #5
10-30-2007, 10:01 PM #6
I will support you all the way.
10-30-2007, 10:03 PM #7
AppSnap has been disabled as well.....
It appears as if Apple has gone thorough and cleaned house today.
Methods, guides, download sites etc. that worked as recently as this morning seem to have been jacked within the last few hours.
AppSnap worked flawlessly for example at around 2PM PST - and now does not.
I find myself in a no-man's-land that I've never seen before in 10+ "iFone" unlocks..
[have an icon on my screen displaying an Apple USB cable connecting to the iTunes icon... can't get past it by any previously successful means].
10-30-2007, 10:06 PM #8
this is ridiculous.
how can a letters be controlled.
thats like "McDonalds" asking everyone with the last name of McDonald Change there name because they dont want the Free advertisement.
cause thats basically what modmyi.com does
aside from helping everyone get the most out of there expensive device
its free advertisement for apple.
can they really become anymore retarded.Johnny Cage is a FAKE
10-30-2007, 10:10 PM #9
lets come back and be bigger and better than ever before!"The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."
10-30-2007, 10:16 PM #10
Apple owns the trademark on the iPhone, and we will respect that.
As far as the jailbreakme.com and others, so far I have seen no reports of this. Jailbreakme could just be hit with heavy traffic, or they could in fact be off at the moment. They have had off hours since they were created, I'd wait for confirmation for that.
We don't need to come back - we're not going anywhere, just changing names..
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
10-30-2007, 10:18 PM #11
wow... apple is ridiculous!
mail them a letter back that says, "F*** off!"
10-30-2007, 10:18 PM #12
What a load of bologna.
32GB iPod Touch 2nd Gen
10-30-2007, 10:19 PM #13
when...did they give you a deadline?
10-30-2007, 10:21 PM #14
yes they did give a deadline, this change will be happening tonight though
10-30-2007, 10:22 PM #15
they are really going overboard now. This means nothing though. Sites name is the smallest part. Content is what defines relevance. Personally I would've tried to go for something away from the iphone name altogether.
That way site can live beyond iphone
10-30-2007, 10:23 PM #16
10-30-2007, 10:26 PM #17
Cmon Apple, Think Different.
10-30-2007, 10:27 PM #18
Thanks Apple...Ur the greatest!!!! You think this will stop us, Just like they thought suing people for downloading music would stop us from doing it.
And why get Free Advertisment when you can pay for it!
Last edited by custom2005altima; 10-30-2007 at 10:44 PM.
10-30-2007, 10:29 PM #19
It's funny how apple has made a total change in direction in recent years, most of you probably know this but Macs used to be the only computers it was ok to mod and remember the Newton I'm pretty sure most of the stuff on that thing was written by random people nowdays you can't even put a new hdd in your mac without killing the warranty (macbooks)- I remember having to install the first airport card in my TiBook, it came with if you got it extra but you had to put it in yourself-
Lost in the sea of data...
Titanium 1ghz 1 gig ram-still chugging along
no usb 2
10-30-2007, 10:31 PM #20
Change the Name to ModmYiphone.com
Quick question technically can't you just say the name of the site is modmyi.com or modmYiphone.com or something along them lines instead of Mod .....my...iphone...dot com....you know what i mean....just say its one word that just so happends to spell out IPHONE at the end of it...
Just figured there is always ways around things and this would technically be a way around the name thing, instead of changing the whole name...
let me know what you think, Please