Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Forces Their Hand on iPhone Trademark. We are changing domains.

is a discussion within the

MMi Site News

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Originally Posted by insanehead Hey folks. I don't want to come off as harsh but Apple HAS to do this sort of thing. It is the issue that came up
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by insanehead View Post
    Hey folks.

I don't want to come off as harsh but Apple HAS to do this sort of thing. It is the issue that came up with the iPod Lounge site. They had to change the name as well.

The reason is trademark law. This bullet point is stating this fact.

"Apple asks that we abandon the use of all domain names that have iPhone in them on this website and to agree not to use ModMyI or any other mark, name, domain name, logo, tagline, slogan, or anything else that contains iPhone for goods and services related to or competitive with Apple's iPhone or dilutive to Apple's trademark rights."

By using the word iPhone and the imagery associated with the product to increase the value of this site, the owner of this site is diluting the value of the iPhone trademark. Not diluting as is making it worth less because that is up to the users to decide and people have shown their affinity for it. It is dilutive in that is decreases its trademark value and if that dilution continues through this site as well as others, Apple would altogether lose the iPhone trademark and anyone could use it on anything. Apple doesn't really care about the content shared on this site outside of what it holds trademark to. If they did, they would issue a full blown cease and desist order to shut down the site altogether, which as far as I know they haven't.

I know the owners of this site are not running this site because they hate the iPhone, they actually like the product, but there is a legit legal issue here. The problem is actually with the Trademark/Copyright/Patent system in the States, not with Apple protecting its trademark.

I hope people will just move on because this is a good resource for folks.
    My oh my, it still boggles my mind how these self-righteous twerps defend Apples' copyrights and principles with their right hand while breaking those very same copyrights and principles by modding their iPhones with their left...

How do you look at yourselves in the mirror everyday and not see a double image?

Thanks

You're calling cash a self-righteous twirp?
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Thanks

PF & Cash: You guys continue to do great work and provide unmatched service regardless of what domain name you operate with. As the Army says, "select, adopt, and exploit". Keep it going gentlemen.

Earl
    Earl

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebentley For This Useful Post:

dooey5 (11-05-2007), Kyle Matthews (11-03-2007)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

Thanks Earl.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,271 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ebentley View Post
    PF & Cash: You guys continue to do great work and provide unmatched service regardless of what domain name you operate with. As the Army says, "select, adopt, and exploit". Keep it going gentlemen.

Earl
    long time no see, of course we will

Green Apple
    Thanks

i thought i was tripping out when i came here and it was "modmyi", well... apple has worked very hard to get to where they are today. It is understandable, they own rights to all there materials. I wouldn't wont my ideas and copyrights to be used without permission. However modmyi is purely community, and sells products for the iphone, which is not a crime at all. i cant believe your site poses a threat to apple. but if you got that letter it must. I wonder if they are going through googles search and threatening everyone? I guess it's competition in selling iphone products. I feel your pain having to update your site and all from the change. I know it sucks, BUT KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! Im sure they will go after everythingiphone.com next.
    Last edited by medafor; 11-03-2007 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    You're calling cash a self-righteous twirp?
    I'm not sure what cash's views are, but (in my view) this isn't cafeteria copyright. Meaning you can't pick and choose which articles of copyright law to respect and which to ignore. It doesn't work that way.

But I do have to jump in and agree with ebentley, without this site I don't think any of us would be enjoying the iPhone to its full potential. And I for one am thankful its here.

Thanks

Default Baseless arguments! - Post merged
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet!

FYI, cash's view is clear from the action he took: to comply. Why? Because Apple has the legal right to make the request they did. His own lawyers advised him to comply. Why do you think we're still here?

Did you just jump in the fray not reading the whole thread? People gave opposite sides of the issue, but hardly anyone resorted to name-calling, like you did.

You didn't notice [1] my post was a question and [2] I had a smiley? So use the -2 degrees there in T.O. and chill, man.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet!

FYI, cash's view is clear from the action he took: to comply. Why? Because Apple has the legal right to make the request they did. His own lawyers advised him to comply. Why do you think we're still here?

Did you just jump in the fray not reading the whole thread? People gave opposite sides of the issue, but hardly anyone resorted to name-calling, like you did.

You didn't notice [1] my post was a question and [2] I had a smiley? So use the -2 degrees there in T.O. and chill, man.
    Thanks for the Canada bashing, typical. And your post wasn't a question, it was sarcasm. So if I said "Go to Hell " that means it's ok to say because I have the smiley face there?

FYI, I'm Canadian. Hence, "true north". Lived in Toronto for 4 years, Calgary for 6 and Ottawa for 17. Just another wrong assumption from you. Where exactly in my statement did I bash Canada? You're out on left field, kiddo.

FYI, I'm Canadian. Hence, "true north". Lived in Toronto for 4 years, Calgary for 6 and Ottawa for 17. Just another wrong assumption from you. Where exactly in my statement did I bash Canada? You're out on left field, kiddo.
    Well, starting with the fact that its 12 degrees here, not -2. And second, I really don't know why I'm wasting my time on you, since you seem to misconstrue every point I make. So, bye bye.
    Last edited by ReVan; 11-04-2007 at 07:40 AM.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,271 Times in 652 Posts

That was fun thread closed

iPhone? More like MyPhone cosmoLV's Avatar
    Thanks

Ou jeah
    Ok, sorry... offtopic, but about changing Domains from modmyiPhone to modmyi
    iTunes Podcast
    -----
    First item and scroll timeline to 6:51
    -----
    Last edited by cosmoLV; 11-20-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    Carrier: LV LMT
    Runing On FW: 2.0 BL 3.9
    -------------------------------------