Closed Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Forces Their Hand on iPhone Trademark. We are changing domains.

is a discussion within the

MMi Site News

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Originally Posted by Eurisko Funny how they haven't gone after iPhoneAlley.com or HacktheiPhone.com I guess you're worth the trouble PF. apple picks off one by one with a few months
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Funny how they haven't gone after iPhoneAlley.com or HacktheiPhone.com

I guess you're worth the trouble PF.
    apple picks off one by one with a few months in between typically starting with the largest

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If the smoke settles and this site turns out to be the lone target will you consider going back?
    1win.1 loss.1 draw

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Funny how they haven't gone after iPhoneAlley.com or HacktheiPhone.com

I guess you're worth the trouble PF.
    Yeah, take it as a compliment!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by listenclose View Post
    If the smoke settles and this site turns out to be the lone target will you consider going back?
    possibly

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Long Live Modmyifone

Thanks

Haven't complied all the way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone zoidberg md's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sogo View Post
    Haven't complied all the way.
    I think you just found your Apple Mole...........

Kidding.
    (Fancy quote from a dead guy...)

Show your appreciation by using the button.

Make.SURE.You.""

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Get Over It
    This seems totally reasonable. Apple owns the trademark to iPhone and I can see how some stupid people could confuse ModMyI with an Apple approved site.

Apple is not trying to shut down ModMyI.com, they are just trying to protect their trademark. Considering they are probably not happy with info this site provides, just having to alter the name doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

...and this situation is nothing like the McDonald's comment above

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm speechless. I really thought you guys were affiliated to Apple

Green Apple
    Thanks

So I guess sites like xbox360fanboy.com will are also breaking the law? What a joke. More bad rep for apple. I love the change to ifone. Its just a slap in their face. This site is going nowhere.

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stefman View Post
    I'm speechless. I really thought you guys were affiliated to Apple ;) :D
    are u freakin serious?!
    mod edit, old signature removed

Thanks
    I knew there was a reason I hate anything Apple before the iPhone, I'm starting to remember and feel that way again. They better come up with those updates that we have been waiting for or it'll be back to a Windows Smartphone for me.

Think about it, the phone IS missing a ton of features and now Steve ***, I mean Jobs locks it even more? Come on! Jobs give us something more than an empty $600 phone, and he had the balls to call it the most advance phone on the planet, I can't even see a flash movie or record a 3 second video, or even text multiple people at the same time.

I'm pissed at Apple!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Well the thing is, as much as I'm frustrated by some of the things that have occurred surrounding the iPhone since its launch, I still like the phone. Its a cool device. Anyway, back on topic...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Ah, you fixed it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey folks.

I don't want to come off as harsh but Apple HAS to do this sort of thing. It is the issue that came up with the iPod Lounge site. They had to change the name as well.

The reason is trademark law. This bullet point is stating this fact.

"Apple asks that we abandon the use of all domain names that have iPhone in them on this website and to agree not to use ModMyI or any other mark, name, domain name, logo, tagline, slogan, or anything else that contains iPhone for goods and services related to or competitive with Apple's iPhone or dilutive to Apple's trademark rights."

By using the word iPhone and the imagery associated with the product to increase the value of this site, the owner of this site is diluting the value of the iPhone trademark. Not diluting as is making it worth less because that is up to the users to decide and people have shown their affinity for it. It is dilutive in that is decreases its trademark value and if that dilution continues through this site as well as others, Apple would altogether lose the iPhone trademark and anyone could use it on anything. Apple doesn't really care about the content shared on this site outside of what it holds trademark to. If they did, they would issue a full blown cease and desist order to shut down the site altogether, which as far as I know they haven't.

I know the owners of this site are not running this site because they hate the iPhone, they actually like the product, but there is a legit legal issue here. The problem is actually with the Trademark/Copyright/Patent system in the States, not with Apple protecting its trademark.

I hope people will just move on because this is a good resource for folks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That is strange considering that Apple is being Sued over iPhone name just type it in google
    Cisco Systems sues Apple over iPhone. Also can that email just been someone just wanting the name of your website. If you can go and run an ip scan over it or something and see where it came from. There are a lot of haters out there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Personally think you have done right thing, Back you all the way, Last thing anybody wants is it to get nasty and cost loadsamoney.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoffl1 View Post
    wow... apple is ridiculous!

mail them a letter back that says, "F*** off!"
    Actually thats 'Phuck off', I believe.

'Phor your inphormation Apple have gone phucking nuts.'

Aaah, the egregious growth of the ugly human ego - a sign that major conflict is on the horizon for humans.

Well done, modmyi, you have made it possible for many of us to run our iFones in all parts of the world.
    Keep on keeping on.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reeze View Post
    That is strange considering that Apple is being Sued over iPhone name just type it in google
    Cisco Systems sues Apple over iPhone. Also can that email just been someone just wanting the name of your website. If you can go and run an ip scan over it or something and see where it came from. There are a lot of haters out there.
    Search Harder

Quote Originally Posted by LesAshmore View Post
    Personally think you have done right thing, Back you all the way, Last thing anybody wants is it to get nasty and cost loadsamoney.
    Thanks for the support

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john_mcpherson View Post
    I, like many others, thought that this was an actual Apple website.

I would like to suggest that Apple suing you is the least of your problems. You should be more worried about all of the users who mistook your website for an Apple website. Now I have installed all of these cool mods thinking you were Apple. I guess I will have to go back to my the old days when my iPod Touch was not nearly as cool.

It's unfortunate that your domain name had to change. The only reason my iPod Touch is as cool as it is is because of sites like this.

Keep up the good work!!
    You have got to be the dumbness-A-S-S I have ever seen in a human being to even say things that you say! what a moron! Get the H3ll out of here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wisecat74 View Post
    I knew there was a reason I hate anything Apple before the iPhone, I'm starting to remember and feel that way again. They better come up with those updates that we have been waiting for or it'll be back to a Windows Smartphone for me.

Think about it, the phone IS missing a ton of features and now Steve ***, I mean Jobs locks it even more? Come on! Jobs give us something more than an empty $600 phone, and he had the balls to call it the most advance phone on the planet, I can't even see a flash movie or record a 3 second video, or even text multiple people at the same time.

I'm pissed at Apple!
    The H3ll Yeah! Steve! Get with damn programs there, would you?
    Last edited by iPhone8G; 11-02-2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost