+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook Defends Steve Jobs on Philanthropy

is a discussion within the

Member Written Mac News

forums, a part of the

Mac News

section;
During the last decade of his fabled run as chief executive officer of Apple, the late Steve Jobs often faced biting criticisms in the press and from others in business
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Tim Cook Defends Steve Jobs on Philanthropy

During the last decade of his fabled run as chief executive officer of Apple, the late Steve Jobs often faced biting criticisms in the press and from others in business and technology for not being more outwardly philanthropic. In other words, Steve Jobs didn't flaunt his charitable gestures as ostentatiously as his many of his contemporaries had.

As a result, Jobs was labeled by some as a billionaire who turned his back on philanthropy.

New Apple CEO Tim Cook, however, is coming to Jobs' defense by speaking for the first time about Apple's generosity toward its own employees and the world beyond. According to a report Thursday in The Verge, Cook's town hall meeting last week brought forward numerous details that have previously never been exposed.

Cook reportedly revealed that Apple has donated approximately $50 million to Stanford's hospitals, "split into $25 million for a new main building and $25 million for a new children's hospital." Mr. Cook also dished on Apple being the "leading contributor" to Product RED, noting that Apple has coughed up another $50 million to help the effort since getting involved.

While it isn't known if its rumor or reality that Steve Jobs once said giving away money is "a waste of time," Tim Cook is clearly taking Apple in a different philanthropic course. And it's also becoming increasingly clear that Jobs wasn't as miserly as critics alleged.

Source: The Verge

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Peanuts compared to Bill Gates. Also, BG's main business never had slave labor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    BGs main business also wasnt primarily reliant on hardware as Apple's business is. Apple manufacturers its own products many times over what Microsoft does. Microsoft does make some of their own stuff and do you think it's all made and assembled without "slave labor"?

However I will agree that bill gates was much more charitable to say the least.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

Microsoft uses the same companies as Apple to make their products. Almost all tech companies do. So you can hop off Bill's nuts now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Microsoft Develops mostly software but all the companies that produce hardware platforms for Microsoft's software. So over all, the machines that uses Microsoft's software far outnumber the number of apple products... so do your math. Not to mention apple is the first company to make efforts to make labor fair and they educate workers about their rights. And they're the first to join the Fair Labor Association.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

For one, it's not a contest. They still gave a ton more than you, so what does that say about you?

Second, Jobs believed that any charitable act should be completely anonymous to be a true charitable act, so there's no telling what he personally gave, and nobody will probably ever know. I also agree with his philosophy. Companies that flaunt their charity aren't really giving to charity, they're buying advertising. And money wasted promoting your charity is money that could have been out towards more charities.

Lastly, most, if not all of the little hardware MS made directly is made by "slave labor" including the millions of Xboxes MS has sold.

Be gone, troll!

Thanks

To all of the fanboys' replies to my comment: stop making excuses. Apple can join any "Fair Labor Association" they want, but that is pure cosmetics. They still employ quasi-slaves, make $400,000/yr in profit per employee and can't manage to give those poor people a good place to work. Fair Labor, yeah, sure. If you want, I can also sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

Thanks

To all of the fanboys' replies to my comment: stop making excuses. Apple can join any "Fair Labor Association" they want, but that is pure cosmetics. They still employ quasi-slaves, make $400,000/yr in profit per employee and can't manage to give those poor people a good place to work. Fair Labor, yeah, sure. If you want, I can also sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.
    Do you really care about fair labor?

Thanks

Oh so you're not mentioning microsofts slave labor this time? Your argument is completely different now. I can see from your response that you agree with what we said.

Thanks

Not defending Apple. They have started to take steps, but it isn't nearly soon or fast enough.

My question for you cpotoso: where was your phone manufactured, and by whom? What about the computer you typed your reply on? What steps are those companies taking?
    Evolution of an iPhone User:
    Pager -> StarTac -> Other Moto Phones -> BlackBerry -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3Gs --> iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4S --> iPhone Implant?

Evolution of a Mac User:
    Apple ][+ -> //e -> IBM PC DOS -> Fat Mac -> Mac SE -> Windows -> Win 95 -> Win 98 -> Win 2000 -> Win XP -> Mac OS X --> Mac OS XI - Someday

iMac 27" Core i7 (2011) - MacBook Air 13" (2011) - iPad 2 32GB WiFi - iPhone 4S 32GB

Thanks

Whoa, $100 million total! Steve was giving away the store…only $99.99 billion left.

Thanks

First of all, they don't own those companies. I think it's a fair bet to say that anyone that works for Apple directly has more than fair working conditions. You're argument to that will surely be, "just because they're removed from those companies doesn't mean that they don't have a responsibility towards them" to which my response would be, "do you own a pair of shoes? Do you own an iPhone (or any electronic device whatsoever)? What's your culpability in this? How do you get a pass? You get to enjoy the fruits of the slave labor while still criticizing where you got it? That sounds like talking out of both sides of your face to me."

P.S. - How can you own the Brooklyn Bridge with a good conscience? Don't you know that the guys that built that thing made next to nothing? You should be giving it to charity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Please keep it a clean debate. Against forum rules to insult or harass other members.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What's it feel like being such a massive hypocrite??

I'll tell you what I tell every moron that complains about Apple's manufacturing: go throw away everything you own that is made in Asian factories and similar working conditions, and then (if you can) come back and tell us how bad of a company Apple is.

Thanks

And the fanboys' responses keep coming... Now *I* am responsible for the poor working condition, I am also a hypocrite and I am responsible for the poor working conditions of the Brooklyn bridge. Good job guys, you are really making my point for me.

As for SJ, he will go down in history as a visionary and a good designer, but also as a small person. Giving away $100M out of his tens of $B does not really impress me that much. There will be no SJ foundation, ot SJ University. BG was no saint, but he is returning a BIG portion of his fortune to society. So did Andrew Carnegie (again, no saint, but his name still resonates after almost 100 years of his death).

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Although I do respect Bill Gates for his philanthropic work, he also had almost 10x larger bank account than that of Steve Jobs; and as fleurya quite rightly pointed out, Steve didn't advertise his philanthropic work where as Bill does, he's even put his name on his charity foundation...

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    For one, it's not a contest. They still gave a ton more than you, so what does that say about you?

Second, Jobs believed that any charitable act should be completely anonymous to be a true charitable act, so there's no telling what he personally gave, and nobody will probably ever know. I also agree with his philosophy. Companies that flaunt their charity aren't really giving to charity, they're buying advertising. And money wasted promoting your charity is money that could have been out towards more charities.

Lastly, most, if not all of the little hardware MS made directly is made by "slave labor" including the millions of Xboxes MS has sold.

Be gone, troll!
    +1

Thanks

this doesn't really address Steve Jobs' charitableness (or lack there of) as much as it seems to focus on Apple the company. I don't think people were criticizing the corporation's use of money as much as the individual.

Thanks

Bill Gates -- $50+ billion, Steve Jobs -- $7-8 billion. That's why Gates can give more.

Thanks

As for SJ, he will go down in history as... a small person. Giving away $100M out of his tens of $B does not really impress me that much.
    I think that's kinda the point: he wasn't doing it to impress you. In fact, this is the first anyone's hearing about their philanthropy. As far as anyone knew, they had none. Until they publish the full extent of their philanthropic activities, you'll never know. As others have mentioned, SJ & Apple didn't slap their name on every charitable act the participated in -- unlike BG, et al. And those that do are typically looking to get something out of it, whether it's free ad space, or face time, or merely trying to atone for their past indiscretions and buy their way to heaven ('camel through eye of a needle' and all.)