+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor: Is the Apple TV being replaced?

is a discussion within the

Member Written Mac News

forums, a part of the

Mac News

section;
We just got an e-mail from an anonymous Apple reseller, stating that they received an e-mail from Apple with instructions to remove all Apple TV displays and literature and to
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Rumor: Is the Apple TV being replaced?
    We just got an e-mail from an anonymous Apple reseller, stating that they received an e-mail from Apple with instructions to remove all Apple TV displays and literature and to destroy them (which I assume means throw away the literature, send back the Apple TVs) by September 30, 2008 at 5 PM. Additionally, the e-mail says that there will be a webcast "kick off" on September 30.

Incidentally, September 30 IS a Tuesday (and the last day of the September quarter), making all of this information, very, very interesting.

So, what does this mean? Could this potentially be the introduction of the Mini/Apple TV hybrid we've all been begging for? Is this related to the rumors of "The Brick?"

EDIT: In the comments and in some subsequent e-mails, we're receiving the impression that the licensing for the shows/images displayed in the literature has run out, and that the actual physical units may not be disappearing. Of course, that still leaves the issue of the webcast event on Tuesday...

TUAW

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I know one thing.... Apple tv is fairly stupid. It's like a tivo but you buy everything you record. What a rip!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Apple tv isn't made to record.

Thanks

I am aware of this... hence its an expensive tivo without the ability to record and every video on it you PAY for. Would be nice for people who don't have cable, but are you really watching movies and HD content if you don't already have cable?

Bottom line... make it record apple! Nobody wants a box that plays itunes movies on your tv. I can do that with my pc for heaven's sake!

EDIT: Insert sateleite, digital cable, etc. where you see cable :P
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Ya I see what you're saying. This has been proven fake anyways.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparblaze View Post
    Ya I see what you're saying. This has been proven fake anyways.
    What has? O.o