+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia packages all gone!

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPod News

forums, a part of the

iPod News

section;
Hey guys my i reinstalled cydia after i installed icy or appbox i guess those 2 apps caused my cydia not to open. But anyways i reinatalled cydia but my
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Cydia packages all gone!
    Hey guys my i reinstalled cydia after i installed icy or appbox i guess those 2 apps caused my cydia not to open. But anyways i reinatalled cydia but my packages r not under packages in cydia! But they are fully functional! I just eant to see them under packages again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

I heard not to install Icy with Cydia. It's a distant memory, but I believe they cause conflict when both installed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

raduga (10-03-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Danm do any1 know how to make my packages re appear its strange their not under packages but they are fully functional

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jofe123 View Post
    Danm do any1 know how to make my packages re appear its strange their not under packages but they are fully functional
    At this point.... that seems unlikely.
    If Cydia is running right now, and shows its own (base) packages, then it's running off a brand-new clean packagedb. Even if you can find the old one, I'm not aware of anything that would re-merge the new and old again.

You DONT want to replace the new packagedb with the old one from before. That would break things massively. Safest thing to do would be to start over from scratch with a clean firmware, re-jailbreak and start loading new packages all over again. If you don't wanna do that, you'll have to live with the semi-broken setup you've got now.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I heard not to install Icy with Cydia. It's a distant memory, but I believe they cause conflict when both installed.
    They DO conflict, and likely step on eachother's toes all over the place.
    They are competing projects started by different developers and quite explicitly do not place nicely.

history:
    Icy is a descendant of Installer, the original package management system for Jailbroken iOS devices. Installer peeps never sat down with Cydia peeps, they got jellis of Saurik's success and felt he ripped off all their hard work, and deliberately set out to make something "better" to prove their point that Saurik was a dumbo-jerk. Icy had some nice eye-candy. Rockapp (Icy next-generation) had some nice features for developers (license tracking and copyprotection, and some support for ad content). But it never really took off, and Cydia remained more stable and was, since the beginning, designed and crafted more carefully.

I feel for Installer peeps who felt they got the dull end of the stick, but after 4 years its sort of hard to go back and undo what's done.
    Last edited by raduga; 10-03-2011 at 10:53 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to raduga For This Useful Post:

Jofe123 (10-03-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks guys i guess ill just restore but i want my music tho... i know the back up will not back up my music any ideas? like a free program that transfers music to cp

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jofe123 View Post
    Hey guys my i reinstalled cydia after i installed icy or appbox i guess those 2 apps caused my cydia not to open. But anyways i reinatalled cydia but my packages r not under packages in cydia! But they are fully functional! I just eant to see them under packages again.
    If you reinstalled Cydia you will need to reinstall all of the packages for them to show up again. I am not sure that Icy caused this problem as I have installed Icy through Cydia just fine in the past. The only thing that has ever caused my packages to be removed was when i rejailbroke my iPhone over the jailbreak already existing. It reinstalled Cydia and thus reset all of its caches. The tweaks will remain functional because the .plist files that point to them are still in place and are not deleted if Cydia's caches are emptied.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I don't believe that they do conflict. Of course, I used them both responsibly and never let them both run at once. I'm not sure how they react when they're both running at once. I could be wrong, but I've never had any conflicts having them both installed simultaneously. It seems that it could be dangerous if they were both installing or removing something at the same time, however I'm not even sure if that's possible.