Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BBM for iPhone Coming This Weekend

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default BBM for iPhone Coming This Weekend

In what is probably the only way BlackBerry will garner any attention on the day iOS 7 drops, the Canadian smartphone maker has just confirmed the looming arrival of the BBM messaging service on iOS and Android.

Although we've all been aware for some time now that the service would land on iOS and Android this year, the company finally confirmed a launch date in a blog post shared with the world on Wednesday.

BBM will reach Android this Saturday, September 21st. The following day, it's the iPhone's turn. BlackBerry says BBM arrives on iOS this Sunday, September 22nd.

Among the announced features of BBM for Android and iPhone are:

• BBM Chat – Enjoy real, immediate conversations with friends on Android, iPhone and BlackBerry smartphones. Not only does BBM let you know that your message has been delivered and read, it also shows you that your friend is responding to the message.
    • More than chat – With BBM you can share files on your phone such as photos and voice notes, all in an instant.
    • Keep your group in the loop – Multi-person chats are a great way to invite contacts to chat together. BBM Groups lets you invite up to 30 friends to chat together, and go a step further than multi-chat by sharing photos and schedules. And, with Broadcast Message, you can send a message out to all your BBM contacts at once.
    • Post Updates and stay in the know – BBM lets you post a personal message, profile picture and your current status, and lets your contacts know instantly in Updates.
    • Your unique PIN – Every BBM user has a unique PIN that maintains your privacy, so you don’t have to give out your phone number or email address to a new or casual contact.
    “BBM is a very engaging messaging service that is simple to use, easy to personalize and has an immediacy that is necessary for mobile communications," recently stated Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President for BBM at BlackBerry. "With more than a billion Android, iOS, and BlackBerry smartphones in the market, and no dominant mobile instant messaging platform, this is absolutely the right time to bring BBM to Android and iPhone customers.”

Source: BlackBerry Blog

Am I the only one that feels the BBM image above is very Un-BlackBerry? Boring, it a suit, sitting in a meeting... no that's more like it!

"...no dominant mobile instant messaging platform" This guy is kidding, right?

Funny it was supposed to be released 2 months ago. I think it may be a bit to late, should have released it sooner I love whatsapp.

This **** sounds like kik messenger smh.. some one pls explain what this app offers that isn't alrrdy out there???

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by REMED1AL View Post
    Am I the only one that feels the BBM image above is very Un-BlackBerry? Boring, it a suit, sitting in a meeting... no that's more like it!
    maybe in the beginning of blackberry..
    it morphed to be the IM of choice for teens and young adults,, as well as business people..

BBM is the only thing BLackberry has left worth anything

most people are agreeing BBM will be the most widely used IM in all platforms within 6 months
    cant beat em join em,, ill be downloading it on sunday, as will millions of others

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    When BB's were big, this was big. Now that everyone has an iPhone or an Android, they have decided to use WhatsApp as the multi platform chatting client. BBM is very late to the party and I don't believe that it will catch on as well as the creators think it will. Sure a lot of businesses use BB and BBM but they have their company phones, which are BB's. There is no need for this now. Like someone said, Kik is out as well as many others. It's just another chatting app to the list.

PS, iPhone has the iMessage within the IOS and OSX so I really dont have to use WhatsApp, plus I don't see a need to. Most people preffer to text with Unlimited messages now so easily and cheaply available to everyone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think that in spite of all the criticism,BBM is still a heavy weight contender in messaging world judging by the vast number of Blackberry users world wide.And now with a universal app,at least they'll remain relevant up to a certain degree.
    But of course their level of relevance will be hinged a lot on what the app brings to table including a possible cost or non, whatever the case maybe.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to underwriter For This Useful Post:

jerry69 (09-18-2013)

Good to hear! but again my question would be BBM would not come for free, one has to subscribe too BBM services... As far as I'm concerned I'm not up for subscribing any BBM service, while the world is used to Whatsapp for free or just yearly subscription.. Well Await for its launch to check out if they are free or....

Thanks

IMO I think there is still a crowd out there that supports BB and BBM, however I do feel that it's way too late for them to make up ground. Now if we could get iMessage support on all smartphone OS's, then of course that would definitely kill skype and the other IM services.

Free or Charged ? Any idea folks ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trey265 View Post
    This **** sounds like kik messenger smh.. some one pls explain what this app offers that isn't alrrdy out there???
    it said it has voice recordings, and videos. and probably a different UI... and maybe a few other things... I'll definately download it and try it though.

Already Launched in NZ Appstore , wondering when its coming to US appstore : https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/bbm/id690046600?mt=8