+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Juniper Says Android is Still Top Magnet for Malware

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPhone News

forums, a part of the

iPhone News

section;
File this one under... "yeah, tell me something I didn't already know." On Wednesday, Juniper Networks pushed to the masses its third annual Mobile Threats Report, which once again shows
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Juniper Says Android is Still Top Magnet for Malware

File this one under... "yeah, tell me something I didn't already know."

On Wednesday, Juniper Networks pushed to the masses its third annual Mobile Threats Report, which once again shows the rapid growth and evolution of mobile malware.

Between March 2012 and March 2013, the Juniper Networks Mobile Threat Center (MTC) found mobile malware threats "growing at a rapid rate of 614 percent to 276,259 total malicious apps." Juniper says this spike clearly demonstrates an exponentially higher cyber criminal interest in exploiting mobile devices.

But we're not just talking about any mobile devices. In particular, these dangers are calling Android home at an alarming pace.

Attackers are maximizing their return on investment by focusing 92 percent of all MTC detected threats at Android, which has a commanding share of the global smartphone market.
    Juniper cites data from analyst firm Canalys to note that Android devices accounted for 67.7 percent of all smartphones shipped in 2012. 1 billion Android-powered smartphones are expected to ship in 2017.

Not surprisingly, the new report confirms, attackers are also leveraging "loosely regulated third-party app marketplaces" to distribute malware and more quickly introduce threats to the marketplace.

Source: Juniper

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Malware creators always pick the platform with the most users, hence Android and Windows

Thanks

Pretty much! Very misleading. Although when that trojan attacks came Apples way a year or so back, it was a big deal when 600,000 users were affected as not as many are on the OS compared to the conglomerates mentioned above.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

They can have Android OS for malware, I could care less. I'll stick with Apple/iOS and avoid it as much as possible.

Thanks

I had spam invites on my Andriod the first hour after I purchased it. Took me less then a day to return it for my 5. I was curious and wanted to try the latest Andriod phone. Ill never do that again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Malware creators always pick the platform with the most users, hence Android and Windows
    Yes, that is technically right. but then andriod in it's infancy also had almost a no holds bar on whoever wanted to develop on their store just to get the app count up...not to mention they are running on a open source platform that only gets updated when the carrier and/or developers for that make decide to release updates that may patch vulnerabilities. still i could just be blowing smoke since i have only had one andriod device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iN2K View Post
    I had spam invites on my Andriod the first hour after I purchased it. Took me less then a day to return it for my 5. I was curious and wanted to try the latest Andriod phone. Ill never do that again.
    WTF is a spam invite?