Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone 5 is a scratch magnet

  1. #1
    Default iPhone 5 is a scratch magnet
    These were just taken tonight at a local Apple store and done with a fingernail. My money isn't going to be spent on shoddy materials.


  2. #2
    Super Duper Moderator blkcadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
     Valley of the Sun, ARIZONA ♥♥♥
    Posts
    31,215
    Thanks
    3,931
    Thanked 10,213 Times in 6,215 Posts

    Wow...

  3. #3
    Over 2 yrs and 3 months and my iPhone 4 has no scratch at all, 6 months w/o case. This iPhone isn't even 1 day old and already is scratched like hell.

  4. #4
    That sucks...I ordered the white one too. Guess I'll have to be extra careful with this one. Kinda wish it was all glass rear now...
    Last edited by xclusiveiphone; 09-20-2012 at 11:29 PM.

  5. #5
    So the back cover of the Iphone 5 is not even glass? That is so much Fail.
    Iphone 4S - T-Mobile Prepaid Plan No Contract

  6. #6
    It has to bits of glass top and bottom but one large soft aluminum piece which is the problem area. I think the glass looked cleaner myself. I'm thinking invisible shields are gonna be a must for the entire body unless apple throws in a back bumper lol.

  7. #7
    wow that really sucks, and I am extremely anal about my iphone 4s..

    when i get mine tomorrow, I'm barely going to use it until I at least have my protectors

    my 4s has a screen protector on bottom of otterbox defender

  8. #8
    First AntennaGate, now ScuffGate... But yea remember back to the 2G, it was easily scratched as well if you aren't careful.

  9. #9
    I've had full body coverage on this one since new and it looks brand new 2 years later.

  10. #10
    meh, the aluminum looks ugly and its less protective than the slick clean looking glass back. meh
    =(

  11. #11
    For what we paid, Apple could at least sprayed a clear coat on the aluminum.

  12. #12
    I think I'm gonna keep my 4S for a while. I just love the sleek look of full glass cover.

    I'm so disappointed on Iphone 5 for 2 reasons...

    1. Nano sim - wont be able to cut my micro sim in to nano...fail
    2. Aluminum back cover - 4S full glass back cover is way better
    Iphone 4S - T-Mobile Prepaid Plan No Contract

  13. #13
    yeah im starting to hate the back cover now that it can be scratched easily but as for the nano sim, your in luck saw this on ebay. i have there standard sim --> micro sim cutter. looks like i may need to upgrade my cutter too.

    -20120913110915_32428.jpg
    -20120914180943_35515.jpg
    -607064141_tp.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by HachiRoku View Post
    I think I'm gonna keep my 4S for a while. I just love the sleek look of full glass cover.

    I'm so disappointed on Iphone 5 for 2 reasons...

    1. Nano sim - wont be able to cut my micro sim in to nano...fail
    2. Aluminum back cover - 4S full glass back cover is way better

  14. #14
    Holy crap that's horrible!

  15. #15
    Super Duper Moderator blkcadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
     Valley of the Sun, ARIZONA ♥♥♥
    Posts
    31,215
    Thanks
    3,931
    Thanked 10,213 Times in 6,215 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    wow that really sucks, and I am extremely anal about my iphone 4s..

    when i get mine tomorrow, I'm barely going to use it until I at least have my protectors

    my 4s has a screen protector on bottom of otterbox defender
    Being forced to use protectors/covers just ticks me off. Bad idea Apple.

  16. #16
    And apple is not a big fan of protectors from the get go. At least they could have made the plate from stainless to make it a bit more durable. IMHO stainless and black would have been a beautiful combination.

  17. #17
    And if the scratches aren't enough read this.

    http://www.iphonealley.com/news/blac...ly-on-iphone-5

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    First AntennaGate, now ScuffGate... But yea remember back to the 2G, it was easily scratched as well if you aren't careful.
    Don't forget MapsGate.

    EDIT: Personally I find this very disappointing. What was a no brainer upgrade for me is now not so clear cut.

    I cannot believe Apple, with their meticulous attention to detail, could have over looked this design flaw.
    Last edited by sand_man; 09-21-2012 at 04:06 AM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by HachiRoku View Post
    I think I'm gonna keep my 4S for a while. I just love the sleek look of full glass cover.

    I'm so disappointed on Iphone 5 for 2 reasons...

    1. Nano sim - wont be able to cut my micro sim in to nano...fail
    2. Aluminum back cover - 4S full glass back cover is way better
    It's easy to cut a MicroSim to a Nano on your own. Or there are cutters you can buy on market.

    And those of you that think you have no scratches after running 'naked iPhone' think again.. Look at your iPhone in standby mode in sunlight tipping the phone slightly right or left. This will show you the 'real' surface of your phone... And it will be 'scratched as hell' I assure you. Minor mini scratches.. But I only ever have my iPhone 4S in my hand or in my soft pocket with nothing else in my pocket and still scores of little scratches on the glass.

    But this aluminum back will make me go back to Invisishield even though I HATE that rubbery feeling..

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    It's easy to cut a MicroSim to a Nano on your own. Or there are cutters you can buy on market.

    And those of you that think you have no scratches after running 'naked iPhone' think again.. Look at your iPhone in standby mode in sunlight tipping the phone slightly right or left. This will show you the 'real' surface of your phone... And it will be 'scratched as hell' I assure you. Minor mini scratches.. But I only ever have my iPhone 4S in my hand or in my soft pocket with nothing else in my pocket and still scores of little scratches on the glass.

    But this aluminum back will make me go back to Invisishield even though I HATE that rubbery feeling..
    Just did not scratches. The micro scratches like ones on cars where they kinda look like swirls I've seen on my older electronics, none on anything new. Including my iPhone 4. The gorilla glass is built to deter micro scratches and protect against the big ones. It does great for micro, large ones not so much depending on pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •