+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reason why ATT knows your tethering.

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPhone News

forums, a part of the

iPhone News

section;
I'm sure this isn't brand new news to everyone but I just wanted to share some info with you guys/gals about the mywi/att tethering issue. Below there is a forward
    Thanks

I'm sure this isn't brand new news to everyone but I just wanted to share some info with you guys/gals about the mywi/att tethering issue. Below there is a forward from my buddy that works at att. I don't know exactly what he does but he asked one of his network guys how do they know we are tethering. Below is your answer, as far as a way around it not sure yet but I'm still waiting on a response from him concerning that.
    Reason why ATT knows your tethering.-imageuploadedbymodmyi1316219995.971396.jpgReason why ATT knows your tethering.-imageuploadedbymodmyi1316220007.530738.jpg

Ps. I dont know why the pics are soo blurry.

Thanks

The first pic is the one my buddy emailed, the second is from the network guru.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 856 Posts

It seems that jailbreak tethering simply unlocks functionality already in the phone. By comparing the data type with your plan (which would lack tethering support), they can tell you're tethering.

Interesting it's called "Cingular".

You should forward this to the people that make tethering apps on Cydia, see what they think about it.

Thanks

Good idea.

I shot them a message from their website because they only have twitter setup for their contact via Cydia. I couldn't put up the photos but hopefully they email me back so I can forward the messages to them.
    Last edited by mmaboi21; 09-16-2011 at 10:09 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaboi21 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (09-18-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    It seems that jailbreak tethering simply unlocks functionality already in the phone. By comparing the data type with your plan (which would lack tethering support), they can tell you're tethering.

Interesting it's called "Cingular".

You should forward this to the people that make tethering apps on Cydia, see what they think about it.
    I show the AT&T APN as "broadband" (for the iPad), I don't have an AT&T phone to look for...

Cingular makes all kinds of sense, they didn't change the APNs/rDNS/etc. from when they (AT&T) acquired Cingular (to see, run
    Code:
    $ dig -x 166.205.8.7 +trace
    on a NIX-flavored system). Incidentally, this helps to confirm a lot of suspicion that AT&T is only watching APNs so editing the APN should be sufficient to mask tethering.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (09-18-2011)

Thanks

Awesome so there is a way around it..
    I'll post as soon as intelliborm gets back to me. I'm sure they will have some sort of mask update.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I show the AT&T APN as "broadband" (for the iPad), I don't have an AT&T phone to look for...

Cingular makes all kinds of sense, they didn't change the APNs/rDNS/etc. from when they (AT&T) acquired Cingular (to see, run
    Code:
    $ dig -x 166.205.8.7 +trace
    on a NIX-flavored system). Incidentally, this helps to confirm a lot of suspicion that AT&T is only watching APNs so editing the APN should be sufficient to mask tethering.

Didn't cingular buy up ATT wireless? Then ATT bought Bellsouth which owned Cingular?

Thanks

My apple buddy told me today that the wap.Cingular is for older phones like the old cingular flip phones. I'm not sure if he's correct though... Any thoughts?

Thanks

Using the apn is a very, very inacurate method. Very easy to fake and unlikely they even bother with this.

IMHO - they could be that stupid...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

How is it inaccurate? If you see traffic coming on one based on tethering then that means you tether??? I'm confused but I do know that this email is authentic. So why would they say something that is not true.
    Last edited by mmaboi21; 09-19-2011 at 12:03 PM.