Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: “Personal Hotspot”

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default “Personal Hotspot”

The much talked about “Personal Hotspot” feature was introduced with the release of Verizon iPhone 4, running iOS 4.2.6. This feature allows up to five Wi-Fi devices to connect and share iPhone’s cellular data connection.

Beta versions of iOS 4.3 includes Personal Hotspot functionality for GSM iPhone 4, but it is subjected to carrier’s decision, and additional fees.

When asked about the release date, he said that Apple plans to release the final version of iOS 4.3 in March this year.

Also, he wasn’t exactly sure on whether “Personal Hotspot” feature will be supported on older models such as iPhone 3GS and 3G. He confirmed to us for iPhone 4 only.

“Personal Hotspot” feature was introduced yesterday with the announcement of Verizon iPhone 4, running the new iOS 4.2.5. This feature allows up to five Wi-Fi devices to connect and share iPhone’s cellular data connection.

&T has reportedly provisioned the new Personal Hotspot WiFi sharing feature of iOS 4.3 beta 3 for a developer, indicating it will follow Verizon's lead in offering the feature to its subscribers.

Apple added the Personal Hotspot feature in iOS 4.2.6, a build that only runs on the Verizon iPhone 4. It takes advantage of a feature Verizon has long offered that enables multiple WiFi clients to share a phone's mobile 3G connection.

AT&T hasn't committed to supporting the new feature yet, but is expected to in the face of the competitive threat issued by Verizon. Other carriers can choose whether they will support the OS feature.

The individual reporting AT&T's acquiescence in provisioning the feature on his phone running the developer build says the carrier agreed "after I mentioned Verizon a few times."

AT&T similarly balked for months before finally supporting the MMS and Bluetooth tethering features Apple added to iOS 3.0, but could hold up support for those features because it lacked any direct competition in the US. Personal Hotspot is Wi-Fi tethering.

Activating the feature is subject to additional fees. Verizon charges an extra $20 per month for WiFi tethering, and AT&T is expected to offer similar plans

Sources

RedMondPie
    &
    AppleInsider
    Last edited by Major Herbie; 02-19-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Uh, wtf? Old news buddy.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Uh, wtf? Old news buddy.

Seeing as it was only just posted. I was just trying to help.

Sorry, but even though redmon just posted it, it has been known for a while. Sorry if I sounded harsh.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

Major Herbie (02-19-2011)

Thanks

Sorry, but even though redmon just posted it, it has been known for a while. Sorry if I sounded harsh.
    That's cool man, don't stress.

Just trying to keep you from

AT&T is Getting Their Network Ready for iPhone 4 Personal Hotspot Feature apparently others think it's news too..... lol. Maybe I just see into the future.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 02-19-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Just trying to keep you from

AT&T is Getting Their Network Ready for iPhone 4 Personal Hotspot Feature apparently others think it's news too..... lol. Maybe I just see into the future.
    DAMIT, I missed that. I really thought no one had posted it yet.

I think he posted it after you.

yep, 4 mins after.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 02-19-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

Major Herbie (02-19-2011)

Thanks

I think he posted it after you.

yep, 4 mins after.
    Lol, i just commented on there.

Anyone has insight about if this Personal Hotspot creates ad-hoc or infrastructure network?
    I wish it is infrastructure so that I can connect my Blackberry onto it.

Anyone?