+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Artwork extractor for iOS 4 is finally here!

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPhone News

forums, a part of the

iPhone News

section;
I bugged a guy called Dave Peck who made one back in the 2.x firmware days, and it paid off! I don't know if any of you guys have seen
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Artwork extractor for iOS 4 is finally here!
    I bugged a guy called Dave Peck who made one back in the 2.x firmware days, and it paid off! I don't know if any of you guys have seen it yet, but if you haven't, here's a heads up!

iphone-artwork at master from davepeck's iphone-tidbits - GitHub

This only works on 4.1, for currently these .artwork files:
    Shared~iphone.artwork
    Shared~ipad.artwork
    Shared@2x~iphone.artwork
    Shared@2x~ipad.artwork

But this is still hugely exciting, as we finially can get a idea of exactly what we can theme!

So, get extracting, and get theming!

Thank you so much DavePeck!
    My Devart: http://bunniesandsheep.deviantart.com/
    Ipod touch 2g, 8gb, 3.0, with qTweeter, multifl0w, SBSettings, virtual RAM, Backgrounder and all the other useful jailbreak apps.
    If you need photoshop help, pm me =]

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bunniesandsheep For This Useful Post:

Borygo77 (10-06-2010), chrisrotolo (09-14-2010), Jahooba (01-25-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Great find!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,972 Times in 876 Posts

very nice find indeed -- these files were extracted a while back already and I pulled out quite a few more on top of that -- anybody needs to the files we've extracted so far, check out this thread:

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-ne...undles-ui.html

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had download the Python, PIL and iphone-artwork.py

After download and install, I could not get it work.
    Can you help to guide me what to do to get it work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I seriously have no clue how to use Python, could anyone make some sort of guide? Its nearly 3am, I've been trying since 12. Sorry for reviving a thread, if that bothers anyone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default How to use the iOS-artwork extractor script
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmoky View Post
    I seriously have no clue how to use Python, could anyone make some sort of guide? Its nearly 3am, I've been trying since 12. Sorry for reviving a thread, if that bothers anyone.

LOL. Was there as well. 4:30 am wondering what the hell I was doing wrong. Okay, so I'm assuming you're using windows (I hope). Here is what you need to do.

Step one
    :
    Install python 2.7 not 3 to the location the installer chooses. (Cpython27) Important notes; install the 32 bit version, because the PIL (Python Image Library) will not work with the 64 bit version and will not work with python 3 and up. (Going by the last time I checked). In addition the iOS-artwork extractor folder should be on you c drive as well or else you will not be able to access it via the command prompt.

Step two:
    Install the PIL (Python Image Library) to the location the installer chooses.

Step three:
    Restart.

Step four
    (Running the extractor script):

- Open the command prompt.
    - Change directory (chdir) to the location of the iOS-artwork.py script/file.

(So, now in the command prompt you should have:
    C..\iOSartwork>; as your location.)

- Next, type: python iOS-artwork.py export -a /path/to/artwork_file.artwork -d /path/to/export_directory/

- Hit enter to run the script.

It should then extract the PNGs from the artwork file.

Step five (Running the import script):
    - Same steps as above (Steps 1-3) except for step four.
    - Step four (for the import process) will be:

python iOS-artwork.py create -a /path/to /original_artwork_file.artwork -d /path/to/import_directory/ -c created_artwork_file.artwork

- Hit enter to run the script.

More notes:

This is a wonderful and powerful tool. However, you must point to the original .artwork file from the iOS to make sure all the necessary data is included in your modified .artwork file. This means that: 1. You have to have all the same number of PNGs and they must be the same size (In height and width, and in how many bytes) as the original PNGs that are located in the iOS .artwork files.

This causes a problem when, like myself, wanted to remove the battery from the status bar (Now using HideBattery with Winterboard, but I'm still pursuing removing the battery icons so I do not have to use Winterboard.) If you just delete the PNGs the script will return an error. If you replace the PNGs, let say like I did, with the PNGs being used in the HideBattery Theme, it will not work and return an error. This is due to the fact that the script references the original .artwork file for information.

I also tried creating transparent battery PNG images. It did work, however on certain apps (iFile and Cydia) I had a white square icon where the battery icon was and if the I was in an app that didn't produce the white square the battery percentage was still in the same place. So, I had a gap between the battery percentage and the end of the statusbar. Which, semi defeated the purpose, because I wanted that real-estate. This is when I tried to use the images that are in the HideBattery theme, but that too didn't work. Got an error, because my new PNGs didn't match exactly to the original PNGs that are being referenced.

I still love this script and I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the battery icon without Winterboard.I hope you can use my instructions to your success and maybe you'll figure something new out. Take care and hope this helps.

Question by Plasmoky vis PM
    "I'm having some trouble, as you may have expected. Also I'm not sure if I should post this in the thread or here. Anyway,
    my Shared@2x~iphone.artwork and iOS-artwork.py are in the same directory, CArt. I've been running this script, and it seems to have errors. I do intend on exporting the pngs to the same folder as the .artwork and .py. It is

python iOS-artwork.py export -a C:/Art/Shared@2x~iphone.artwork -d C:/Art/

and it returns the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "iOS-artwork.py", line 37, in <module>
    from artwork.artwork_file import ArtworkBinaryFile, WritableArtworkBinaryFil
    e
    ImportError: No module named artwork.artwork_file

Do you have any fix? Can you tell what I'm doing wrong?"

First, you do not need to specify the drive letter. Also, if I'm not mistaken the ':' with give you a syntax error when running the script. Also, remember that in windows they use backslashes not '/'. Just FYI.

So it should read \Art\Shared@2x~iphone.artwork

Second, going by what you have said I can only think that you are missing the artwork folder in Dave Pecks iOSartwork extractor program. In that artwork folder are the modules. Make sure you have the whole program and not just the iOS-artwork.py file. Once you have confirmed that you have the complete program... try again.

Third, and this is really just a personal preference, I would create a separate folder labeled iOS-Artwork Extracted (For example) and extract to that folder. This is just for keeping everything clean and not having 200 images were the main program lies.

So, try what I have said and we'll take it from there. Here is the link

https://github.com/davepeck/iphone-tidbits

just click download and you'll be sure to have the entire program. Good luck.
    Last edited by Lokenall; 01-08-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lokenall For This Useful Post:

Newbee123 (02-06-2012), Plasmoky (01-08-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Seeing the DONE EXPORTING text made me so happy, Thanks for everything! I managed to get the import script working as well, was much simpler, although I was mixed up when I found you don't edit the created_artwork_file.artwork name.

EDIT: Does anyone have some type of list for what each image represents? Everything looks the same, and I don't even have an idea for what they could be.
    Last edited by Plasmoky; 01-08-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

No problem. Glad I could help. Search around the forums for iOS Artwork. You should find a download that has labeled the PNG files.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have installed Python but i got the message in the command prompt: the command python could not be found.
    Last edited by nazuile; 01-09-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Make sure it is installed in the location the installer picks. If it is, uninstall python and reinstall.

It should be installed under Cpython27.

Also, make sure you're in the folder where the iOS-artwork.py file resides.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,074 Times in 798 Posts

can somebody post an extract of the iPads Shared~ipad.artwork

thanks

Edit: never mind I managed it
    Last edited by dsg; 03-13-2011 at 03:09 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi, can someone give me step by step on ow to kick off.

I had install python 2.7.1 and PIL 1.1.7
    I had the [email protected]k in the folder at desktop
    what should I do next?

Oh, I had found the way to use it.
    Thank anyway.

Does anyone had found the way to etract the MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork?

Please share it.
    Last edited by JeffMok; 02-08-2011 at 09:28 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone know why Keyboard-Emoji.artwork won't export ? what exactly is different about these files ? Also, anyone know of any progress in this area ?

Kal

dsg
    Thanks

Try this it can extract but not repack

It requires the iPhoneSDK and uses the iOS version that comes with the sdk so some names could be wrong

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi I tried this python method and it keep saying: "sorry, but the artwork file /path/to/Keyboard-Emoji.artwork is not currently supported by this software."

Please help since my iphone just see black square for Emoji icons, but the keyboard is still visible.

If you know what the cause can you please post resolution if possible.

Thanks heap for help

P.S: I am using iphone 4 global with v4.2.1. Blank square appear on the sms fields but still visible on the keyboard. So i think it might be something wrong in the artwork file.
    Last edited by thanhnhuv; 03-18-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Theme Creator-Animation Coder Coop2009's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,852 Times in 1,572 Posts

does any one know how to obtain the actual filenames for the extracted artwork files?

Thanks

could someone compile that thing that dsg linked to?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 766 Posts

Does any 1 no how i can open up the siri mic .artwork files nothing i try seems to be working here is the file

siri mic.zip

dsg
    Thanks

nvm
    Last edited by dsg; 01-24-2012 at 06:06 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone leetut's Avatar
    Thanks

using mac lion so guide is useless to me tried for 50+ hours but got totally nowhere!
    is there no way of getting in to these .artwork files without the terminal or python?
    my braincells cant handle terminal lol