+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tether inside app?

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPhone News

forums, a part of the

iPhone News

section;
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Tether inside app?
    "iTunes link for $.99 Flashlight app that has hidden internet tether *inside”

Tweeter by 9to5mac a little while ago. Anyone try it. I bought it but haven't tried it. I would give out link but I guess that's a no no

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yep works like a charm. Very incognito

Thanks

i set it up but doesnt go for me , rebooted my phone and all...lets try again...
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 16,731 Times in 4,446 Posts

damn...no longer available...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i tried it, and it does work on a mac.
    Only problem i noticed, is that im still on the crappy At&t network.

also, the app has since been taken down from the app store.

-burn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

If they took it off the Appstore I am just going to say this before it starts. Please do not ask for the app, it is/was a paid app.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

It was a paid app and it's gone. I managed to grab it like 5 minutes before it got pulled though I can't get it to work with W7.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

1) In Windows 7, go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center
    2) Select "Manage wireless networks"
    3) Click "Add" and select "Create an ad hoc network"
    4) Enter in a Network name (make up one), choose your "Security type" (No authentication (Open) if you don't want to bother with a password, or WEP if you want to specify a password)
    5) Connect the iPhone to the Ad Hoc network you created, assign it a static IP of 13.37.13.37 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    6) In Windows 7, go back to "Network and Sharing Center" and click on the active Ad Hoc connection to bring up the Wireless Network Connection Status window
    7) Click on "Properties", highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and then click "Properties"
    8) Select the "Alternate Configuration" tab and enter in an IP address of 13.37.13.38, Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and click OK. The address 13.37.13.37 should now be pingable from a command prompt.
    9) Open Firefox and goto "Tools" and then "Options"
    10) Select "Advanced" then "Network" and click on "Settings"
    11) Select "Manual proxy configuration" and enter in, SOCKS Host: 13.37.13.37, SOCKS Port: 1337, select SOCKS v4 and click OK
    12) In Firefox, type "about:config" in the address bar and click past the warning prompt
    13) IMPORTANT STEP!!! Scroll down to "network.proxy.socks_remote_dns" and change this value to TRUE
    14) Close Firefox
    15) Open HandyLight on your iPhone and do the BRY top right corner sequence
    16) Open Firefox again and you should now be able to browse

Why does this work ok in OS X without much effort and not in Windows 7 you ask? It seems that OS X will automatically forward DNS lookup queries through the SOCKS proxy. Windows doesn't work like this, at least not when using the proxy settings and you specify in IE. It seems someone else a couple posts before this got Safari to work under Windows 7, so I'm guessing Safari will automatically forward DNS lookups through the SOCKS proxy. Firefox has this capability to, but you need to mess with the about:config to turn it on. No clue how to enable this to work with IE, and Chrome is pretty much screwed as a result since it uses the proxy settings you specify in IE. I'm sure someone can figure it out to get all browsers to work.

----------------
    1.Set up an ad hoc Wi-Fi network on your computer (network name and password requirement are not important).

2.Connect to the Wi-Fi network you just created on your iPhone through the Settings/Wi-Fi menu.

3.Tap on the blue arrow to the right of the selected Wi-Fi network, click Static in the IP Address menu and enter the following IP address and chuckle at its geek quotient: 13.37.13.37

4.Next, enter 255.255.255.0 in the Subnet Mask field.

5.Back out of the Settings menu to ensure these settings are saved (though hitting the Home button right away shouldn’t change them).

6.Manually set the IP for your laptop's adapter to something in the 13.37.13.xx range (xx = any number 0-255 except 37) and set subnet mask to 255.0.0.0. To do this Go to control panel, Network and Internet, then the Network and Sharing Center. On the left side click on Change adapter settings. When the window pops up, find your wireless network adapter there. Right click it and choose properties. Find the line that says Internet Protocol version 4 and double click it. Change the settings here from Obtain auto to "Use the following IP address." Fill in IP address (13.37.13.38 for example) and subnet mask 255.0.0.0. Leave the rest blank and click ok.

7.Go back to your iPhone and open the Handy Light app and tap the flashlight colors at the bottom in the following sequence: blue, yellow, red. Then tap the top right corner of the screen and the color should change to purple. Your iPhone is now capable of sharing its internet connection with the computer you set up.

8.Leave the app open and go to your computer and start browsing. As the video describes, we found that it took a few seconds for the connection to kick in but then it worked like a charm. Though many variables affect network speed tests, a quick test using Speedtest.net yielded 3.92 Mb/s down and 0.38 Mb/s up while tethered to our iPhone 4 through Handy Light.
    Last edited by dallasnights; 07-20-2010 at 08:42 PM.
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dallasnights For This Useful Post:

chrisrotolo (07-21-2010), Dreammaker23 (07-20-2010), embw (08-24-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The app is gone from the app store, I got it in time and it does work just as advertised. Only thing more I would have asked for was it to run in the background, but that would have probably got it caught by the app reviewers.

Glad I got it, I had netshare but lost my ipa was bummed.

This makes you wonder though, many apps get lost or heavily delayed with little to no explanation (like Google Voice, ect) but things like this can get through. What about the potential for apps that actually do malicious stuff?

Thanks

Thanks for the windows ff tutorial.
    Very nice.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

got it working with Chrome and IE 8 (they share network settings anyway)...no problems. Just go into connections --> proxies --> advanced --> and only fill in SOCKS

Thanks

Got this working with some tube socks

Thanks

I can't figure out how to make the ad-hoc on XP for the life of me.

Thanks

how about some love for the op? :-)

anyone figure out how to get this working to get connectivity to outlook, and use for rdp sessions?