Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple drops Iphone2 2G support.

Default Apple drops Iphone2 2G support.
    In a unfortunate development for people that still use a 2G like me. Apple wont release 4.0 for iphone 2G ...

Apple will drop iphone 2g support - The Inquirer

I'm hoping that the community will enable this update as the iphone 3G is not superior hardware wise over the 2g ( other than GPS and 3G)

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

The firmware would have to be written for the phone, there is no way to enable a 3G FW to run on a 2G, because there are that different.

ya the baseband is different but the OS is almost identical , like I'm hoping that someone would combine 3.0 with 4.0 in a custom firmware that has most of 4.0 features , I'm certain that this is possible but I have no idea how hard that would be ..

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Actually, the FW is not that identical at all, and the hardware between the 2 phones is completely different. Your only looking at the blatently obvious (GPS, 3G).

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Actually, the FW is not that identical at all, and the hardware between the 2 phones is completely different. Your only looking at the blatently obvious (GPS, 3G).
    No they pretty share the same core OS as the same executables run on both phones without modification...

ya the hardware is different but its the same platform ..
    Last edited by Noor_ar; 04-12-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

I knew it... But damn c'mon, not even a watered down version just so I can UPDATE and BUY apps that, in the future, will only support 4.0 OS??

C'mon Apple. I'd even shell out the $10.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

Yeah, it's total BS! How many companies out there basically drop support for their products after just three years? You can bet that the 3G will suffer the same fate within a couple of years. Wow, I wonder if the iPad will suffer the same fate?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

wow that sucks

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

The 2G is indeed still capable .. they are killing it early to force us to upgrade ... I just hope that there will be an unofficial way to upgrade .

Yea that's bs. Good thing i have a iPod 3gs.

Quote Originally Posted by Noor_ar View Post
    The 2G is indeed still capable .. they are killing it early to force us to upgrade ... I just hope that there will be an unofficial way to upgrade .
    That would be amazing... but I bet highly unlikely.

the 3g has a 100mhz faster processor than the 2g. 100mhz can make a big difference. the 2g is outdated. the average phone life is two years anyway. just update to the 4g iphone when it comes out.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Another article whose "source" is some random guy who emailed jobs?

Me and Steve are having dinner later, definitely, cause I emailed him

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    Another article whose "source" is some random guy who emailed jobs?

Me and Steve are having dinner later, definitely, cause I emailed him
    Yeah, I hate seeing 'source' with everything.

None the less, looks like there won't be an update for us old device users.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1hihum View Post
    Yeah, it's total BS! How many companies out there basically drop support for their products after just three years? You can bet that the 3G will suffer the same fate within a couple of years. Wow, I wonder if the iPad will suffer the same fate?
    How many cell phones even get a firmware update? How many Android handsets even have 2.1, 3 months after it was released?

Name me a 3-year old handset that still gets regular updates? The original Iphone got massive updates from the 1.0 software, and everyone who has one should be grateful for that.

The original Iphone can hardly handle 3.0+ updates.

It's time to upgrade, kids.
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    It's time to upgrade, kids.
    Kids?

Excuse me, I'm a 21 year Medical student attending UW-Madison. What I see in a weeks worth of clinicals in the OR and trauma rooms at UW-Hospital would make you and a bunch of other egocentric people WISH they were young kids again; naive to the world.

I paid good money for my original Iphone, and I took DAMN good care of it.

I don't have tons of money to throw at a new Iphone every 2 damn years. On top of tuition, rent, and other daily expenses.. I'm lucky to have the phone I have.

And just for the record, my Iphone 2G (on 3.1.3) works flawlessly, and has worked GREAT with OS 3.0 and above.

Get off your high horse with the entire 'kids' remark to us PEOPLE who have taken good care of our older devices.

Oh and btw "kid", maybe it's time for YOU to update your 3G device, so you can be current with technology.
    Last edited by Sigz; 04-12-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks

Umm, it's "paid" not "payed" kiddo

and you act like this is a big surprise why?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Sucks
    Keithsta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast