+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia's Unexplained Crash Fixes

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPhone News

forums, a part of the

iPhone News

section;
Ever since Cydia came out many people have been having problems with it crashing, and many of them still are. Weather if it's crashing immediately after start-up are during reloading,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Post Cydia's Unexplained Crash Fixes
    Ever since Cydia came out many people have been having problems with it crashing, and many of them still are. Weather if it's crashing immediately after start-up are during reloading, it's frustrating. I making this post to give everyone information on fixes for the crashes. Even a fix for a reason I identified that I have came up with myself.

Here's the list of fixes, starting off with mine.
    (I named the fixes based on the apparent reason for the crash or fix for the crashing)

1)"No Backup Fix"
    Reason For Crash: A reason I identified that Cydia crashes is because of the contents of backups. When I restore my phone and jailbreak, Cydia would work perfectly, I could use it as many times as I want with no problem, until I load my back up. As soon as I load my backup Cydia will start crashing at start-up.

How To Identify: How you can tell if this is the same reason why your Cydia is crashing is after you restore and jailbreak, your Cydia works until your backup is loaded to your phone.

How To Fix: Just simply restore and setup as a new device and jailbreak. IMPORTANT: Remember to back up notes, dates on your calendar, contacts and ETC.

2)"Bad Repo Fix"
    Reason For Crash: Apparently the problem is caused by some corrupted repositories that make Cydia crash within the first few seconds of loading it.

How to Identify: N/A

How To Fix: There is a quick and dirty fix for that and it requires to either SSH into your iPhone or use iPhoneBrowser and delete a few files.

To fix this, simply navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists and delete all the files in this folder except for the folder called “partial”.

Then reboot your iPhone and launch Cydia. It should load without crashing.

3)"ReJailBreak Fix"
    Reason For Crash: N/A

How To Fix: Just Re-Jailbreak you device. IMPORTANT: This is only for RedSnow/QuickPWN users who are having crash issues with Cydia while you have been using it, this is not for users who have just Jailbroken for the first time, although one could us this method for newly Jailbroken devices, but not for users using something besides RedSnow or QuickPWN.

4)"Delete Em' Fix"

How To Fix:There's two ways of doing it:

SSH into the device and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter, or find it as you normaly would

Open MobileTerminal on the phone and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Use the apps iFile or Discover from Cydia to browse to /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ and swipe the files then select delete, or in iFile select edit, check all the files, then tap the trash can at the bottom.

5)"Cydia RULES Fix"
    Reason For Crash: Both Cydia and Icy installed.

How to Identify: If you have Icy installed.

How To Fix: Two Ways:
    1) Restore and Jailbreak and only install Cydia.
    2) If you have installed CyDelete before Cydia started crashing delete Icy as in the same manner as you would when deleting Apps from the AppStore.
    3) SSH/or us some other type of program to access your files and delete Icy MANUALLY

6)"Cache Clear Fix"

How To Fix:
    For Windows Users:
    1. Download Clear Cydia List Cache tool (.Net Framework required)
    2. Unzip files from above downloaded zip file
    3. Run ClearCydiaListCache.exe from above unzipped folder and connect your device
    4. Click on button “connect your device and click here” on ClearCydiaListCache.exe
    5. Now wait for successful message

7)"Ultimate Fix"

How To Fix:REBOOT YOUR DEVICE. WARNING:THIS AMAZING AND SIMPLE FIX MAY, CAN, AND WILL BLOW YOUR MIND AWAY!

(PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST WITH YOUR OWN METHODS YOU DISCOVERED OR METHODS YOU CAME ACROSS ON THE INTERNET)
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-04-2009 at 01:07 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SaeMii3N For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (03-10-2011), mitcho_76 (04-06-2010), pluto459 (10-04-2009), powa (04-09-2010), shai.m (04-19-2011), southfrisco (10-17-2009), tattoojack (10-31-2009), vegasj (03-14-2010)

Thanks

Another good fix for Cydia is antibiotics.
    They cure pneumonia apparently.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Thanks, #4 worked for me.

ISSUE: While in Cydia I attempted to delete a package. When the package was in the process of deleting Cydia crashed back to the springboard. After this happened every time I opened Cydia it would crash back to the springboard after about 2-3 seconds of attempting to load.

Now it loads up fine.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Fix Cydia instant closing by re-enabling EMOJI!!!!!
    I know it sounds crazy but I have done this on my 3GS OS 3.1.2 and my friends 3GS!! After Cydia crashing on startup!! I've tried everything, mobile terminal, SSH, re-install Cydia with .deb file! Nothing worked except "RESTORE"!! You can identify if you have the "Emoji Flu" by looking at your "International Keyboards" if your sliders are abbreviated instead of full words(example: "jp" instead of "Japanese") you've caught the "Emoji Flu"! So here's the quick fix!! If you don't have an "Emoji" app already installed to get Emoji this trick doesn't pertain to you! Sorry!

1. Turn autocaps "ON"

2. Start your "Emoji" app and "re-enable" emoji!!!

3. Exit your "Emoji" app and "Reboot" your iPhone!

4. Go to keyboard setting and activate "Emoji" in "Japanese" keyboard!

5. Start up Cydia!!

Crazy I know but It worked for me and my friend after trying everything!!!!!! I found this myself and not on the net!!! Hope this works for you! Hit the "Thanks" if it works!
    Last edited by Krak4211; 03-09-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Found out "Emoji Flu" trick works with other emoji apps!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krak4211 For This Useful Post:

400milliliters (03-12-2010), plasmakirby (03-18-2010), Rsstrachan (03-09-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This should be a sticky!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ltjbigshot's Avatar
    Thanks

Sticky!!
    Sent from my iPad

Green Apple
    Thanks

Krak, i think your on crack but it worked haha!

i dunno if it was a combination of deleting sources or what but it worked.

i had resprung after deleting sources but never rebooted. After following your instructions i finally rebooted and wala it worked

thank you

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandon250r View Post
    Krak, i think your on crack but it worked haha!

i dunno if it was a combination of deleting sources or what but it worked.

i had resprung after deleting sources but never rebooted. After following your instructions i finally rebooted and wala it worked

thank you
    I know its friggin crazy but I've fixed Cydia 3 more times with this method since my last post! I think apple may have fixed this with their BS 3.1.3 update! The changelog says something about fixing Japanese keyboards killing applications! I don't know I'm still on 3.1.2! I do know that I have tried 5 different emoji apps and they do this to Cydia!App store apps and Cydia apps both! That leads me to believe it's something buggy with Japanese keyboards! Glad to see it worked for you!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This actually worked!!! Today 8 March 2010

I'd been screwing around with themes and screwed up my jailbreak so I used PwnageTool to do a fresh jailbreak to 3.1.2 (3GS) and all I preloaded was Cydia. Once I had everything reloaded (music, apps, ect), I proceeded to get the rest of my jailbreak going. Cydia wouldn't even get to the opening screen. I couldn't try any of the other solutions since I didn't have Icy or Rock.

This works and should be added to the list of things to try.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rsstrachan View Post
    This actually worked!!! Today 8 March 2010

I'd been screwing around with themes and screwed up my jailbreak so I used PwnageTool to do a fresh jailbreak to 3.1.2 (3GS) and all I preloaded was Cydia. Once I had everything reloaded (music, apps, ect), I proceeded to get the rest of my jailbreak going. Cydia wouldn't even get to the opening screen. I couldn't try any of the other solutions since I didn't have Icy or Rock.

This works and should be added to the list of things to try.
    What "Emoji" app did you have?
    Last edited by Krak4211; 03-09-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes, STICKY!

same issue, launch Cydia and bam, back to my Winterboard theme.

#1 didn't apply, tried #2, didn't work...

#3 didn't apply

#4 worked!

many thanks.
    Last edited by vegasj; 03-14-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: wrong #

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Spell Number is what I used.

I don't think it matters. The thing is, if you had Emoji enabled before Cydia crashed, then enable it again. If you didn't have it enabled, then enabling it wouldn't help.

OTOH, it wouldn't hurt to try.

iPhone? More like MyPhone plasmakirby's Avatar
    Thanks

none worked...but krak's emoji solution did yay for emoji! and tyvm krak

also, ipod touch users using MobileMusicPlayer flip have to disable it in winterboard for the international keyboard setting to show up in settings. i dont know why, but you have to do it. click thanks if that second part helped? X3

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vegasj View Post
    Yes, STICKY!

same issue, launch Cydia and bam, back to my Winterboard theme.

#1 didn't apply, tried #2, didn't work...

#3 didn't apply

#4 worked!

many thanks.
    Same here, #4 worked!! Thanks SaeMii3N for compiling this list!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Emoji did the trick for me too. After trying almost everything else, this was so simple it was silly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

None of this worked for me, errr, except, I didnt do a restore, thats crazyness

I did remember that cydia had crashed before in the middle of an installation, so I SSH'ed and searched around and found this directory:

/private/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/*

Indeed, here were the partial files from the previous crash.. so I deleted everything in that folder. Didnt even have to reboot, Cydia started working immediately. I guess Cydia couldnt handle one of the fragmented files correctly.

Hmmm...maybe Cydia could come with a second (analysis)icon, that wouldnt actually open Cydia, but would do a quick scan for fragmented files, emoji issues, cache issues, etc...then give you the (button) option to clear/fix either one or all of the discovered potential problem areas.
    This could even be rolled into a Cydia "preventative maintenance" program to keep peeps iphones running smoothly.

...just a thought

Thanks

the bad repo thing didnt work
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    well i just came to this thread to spread some joy, i see that you have added the rebbot option, but also the respring works too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can anyone help me, I accidently delete some files on cydia and my ipod touch froze but when I turn it back everything is going ok and the power goes off on the mac apple logo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cydia went south after adding iaccess 4. What a disaster! One by one my Cydia apps were crashing including iFile and terminal mobile! It took 4 hours to figure out what to do. I did all the stuff above (SSH'd and removed the list items, etc, nothing worked). Luckily I was able to go into iKey in settings and remove the English United Kingdom keyboard (it just puts a green + next to it). Then Cydia worked!!!! Glory to Jesus! All I wanted was a black keyboard!! Is that too much to ask!! Now all I want is some sleep!!