Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3.0's 'broken' push messaging caused by unlockers, dirty keys

Default iPhone 3.0's 'broken' push messaging caused by unlockers, dirty keys
    News on Engadget...

I know I have been having this problem getting random push messages or texts... not really sure what they are. However I have not unlocked, all i did was jailbroke (most recently with redsnow .8). What is the deal with this, has the devteam admitted to this problem and if so what is the plan to deal with this if there is one?

What interesting is that I do not see more posts on this, I noticed the same rogue texts from different people mostly late at night and in hebrew. The push fix was supposedly from the devteam on iphoneil repo, but I say that fix is buggy, must be because they used one person's push settings to replicate.

Either way, I uninstalled the push fix and had to resort to backgrounder, which isnt as good. I suppose Apple won the push round.

StealthBravo or any of the mods any thoughts on this? I wish this were in main news to hear how many others are experiencing the rogue txt issues.
    Last edited by PCeasar; 07-25-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: grammar

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

To secure push notifications apple uses SSL certificates to securely authenticate your iPhone with the push notification service. The iPhone automatically generates itself a private and public key pair, and uses these to register itself with Apple's PNS servers and secure all of its subsequent transactions.

When redsn0w hacktivates your phone, it results in the system having no legitimate certificates to use in performing push notifications.

The Devteam tried to make it work by adding an existing certificate to "fix" the problem. The "fix" simply identifies the new jailbroken phone to Apple as another phone that already exists, enabling messages to be sent to the wrong device. So yes, if you hacktivated your phone then your Instant Messages could be going somewhere else

This is why geohot's methods require you to activate with a legitimate carrier first. Currently there is no fix.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

pacmac (07-24-2009)

Thanks

^Interesting; I didn't know that.
    Respect your elders.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    ^Interesting; I didn't know that.
    same here..wooosh im glad im not with t-mobile anymore unlocked..edge slow 3G fast
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

Oh well, glad my 2G phone is going legit in the form of a 3Gs conversion so all the fam will have legit push certs. I kinda figured thats what happened to fix the issue, that blows. Dern you apple, you won that one!

Thanks

I used Purplera1n which like StealthBravo said requires you to activate first with a valid sim card and for a good reason I might add. It wasn't a big deal because I am on AT&T as well as T-Mobile so I had the card handy. Anyways my push notifications are coming in BANG ON and I haven't had one single problem with it yet so I would recommend trying to gain access to a valid sim and do a full DFU restore followed by Purplera1n and then just watch your problems "wash" away.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Just restore and use a att sim to activate and use purplera1n. I have 3gs and it works perfect.

Thanks

^ +1

does this not matter if i have 3gs on at&t and i used redsnow or is purplera1n the better option right now?

Unfortunately I'm a bit biased.....so I always suggest purplera1n, the dev team's tools have worked for me in the past though. Geohotz fan boy.

Thanks

^ lmao, me too