+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G dropped in water and still works

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPhone News

forums, a part of the

iPhone News

section;
I managed to drop my iPhone 3G into a bucket of iced water and it was in there for about 5 seconds and I pulled it out and tried to
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G dropped in water and still works
    I managed to drop my iPhone 3G into a bucket of iced water and it was in there for about 5 seconds and I pulled it out and tried to power off but the power slider would not slide over to the right so I held both power and home buttons to try to get it to shut down manually and it worked.

I later on found it with a white screen and then managed to shut it down again. I then tried to wipe the wet from the creases and there was a little water in the home button which wiped out quite easily.

The next morning I plugged into the computer and nothing so I thought it was shot but I tried putting into recovery mode and iTunes came back with a message saying iTunes could not connect to iPhone because an unknown error was returned so I then tried holding down the power and home buttons for a very long time and eventually got the connect to iTunes logo and plugged into the computer and started iTunes and got the iPhone recovery mode message so then I rebooted the iPhone by holding home and power for 7 seconds then releasing power and continuing to hold the home button for 5 seconds then it rebooted without any problems.

This was really good because I thought that it was completely shot and I could not return it to the store because I didn't get it insured so for anyone who drops their iPhone 3G into water then you know what to do.
    Last edited by mwr_allen; 06-24-2009 at 06:15 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

you're very lucky lol

Thanks

I spoke too soon, I was using the phone absolutely fine this morning after keeping it in a sealed container with rice to draw out the moisture for 2 days and after putting it in my pocket for about an hour I tried to use it again and it was completely dead with not even any response from trying any of what I did 3 days ago after I dropped it in the water.

Now I have to wait until December before I can upgrade

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

I have bought a 3G ($150.00) that a friend of mine had dropped in water and he let i dry for about 4-5 days and it all works except for the camera and has been running for about 4 months with no problems.
    Last edited by JAG2621; 06-26-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

Thanks

I was just chatting online to a customer service person from O2 and as I started typing I thought I would try again to hold the power and home buttons to see if it would work after leaving it for a while and to my amazement it works again
    This thing is like a villain in a bad horror movie, it just keeps on coming back to life.

Thanks

If your phone gets wet you should turn the phone off and remove the battery if possible (but it isn't on the iPhone) and put the phone in a warm, dry place for at least 3 days. Under no circumstances should you atempt to turn the phone on.
    Turning your phone on before it is 100% dry will almost certainly blow something so even if it works for a bit 99% of the time it will fail later. Not a good idea.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GrabYourWeapons's Avatar
    Thanks

Dropped my iPhone in my dogs water bowl a few months ago. The ear piece speaker went out. Put it in a bag of rice for about 8 hours and it worked. It has been working for about 3 months since then, and I sold it to a guy locally to help pay for my 3GS. The screen was cracked too, lets hope my 3GS doesn't end up like that....
    16GB iPhone 3G S⃣ White
    8GB iPhone 3G Black
    30GB iPod Classic

Thanks

Rice is a good way of drawing the water out. I would have given it longer than 8 hours but I guess it worked for you!
    Enjoy your 3GS
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Just thought I would update this thread.

My iPhone 3G has been working absolutely fine now for quite a long time and is a great testament to how waterproof the iPhone 3G is.

Thanks

great to know
    thanks

Thanks

This is an interesting story. Almost as interesting as the guy that dropped his iPhone in a pool while it was recording video lol. I'm glad you're iPhone pulled through for you.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4