+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Network Use Not The Only Reason To Hate 3G iPhone SlingPlayer

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPhone News

forums, a part of the

iPhone News

section;
People thought that AT&T's crappy network was the reason why ATT hated SlingPlayer.... We all know that AT&T's network is about ready to burst with all of the 3G use
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Network Use Not The Only Reason To Hate 3G iPhone SlingPlayer

People thought that AT&T's crappy network was the reason why ATT hated SlingPlayer.... We all know that AT&T's network is about ready to burst with all of the 3G use age. The 3G pipes would burst if tons of people were watching Sling on their iPhones. But this is only half of it all.... low and behold AT&T has their own little secrets..

Get this! AT&T has been working on their own application named i-Verse which will perform similar to SlingPlayer.

The i-Verse will work with their U-Verse TV solution. What does this mean? Well it will be able to load DVR'ed shows from your u-Verse recorder into your iPhone at home, or stream shows across the net over 3G.

Poor AT&T doesn't want to lose man hours into the development into the app (and its their network) BUT! its pretty bad when they are using their position to shut-down another app just so their app doesn't have competition.

AT&T lets play fair here...... sounds like someone's going to get a lawsuit on their hands if this rumour is true?

http://gizmodo.com/5253135/network-u...ne-slingplayer

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Slingplayer over 3G is already prohibited by O2's T&C in the UK which prohibit any streaming.

Streaming does eat up bandwidth, the only network that I am aware of that has sensible data pricing is T-Mobile here in the UK, if you want streaming you can have it, but you pay a bit more for you data, if you want VOIP you can have that too but you have to pay quite a bit more for that.

Networks have to provide the best service for the most people at a reasonable price - and make a profit.

Streaming blocks channels that could be shared among many voice callers, the 3G network handles it a lot better than the GSM network. On GPRS/Edge you will be blocking 8 channels, each of which could be shared by people to make voice calls.

Would you rather your network spent millions upgrading their networks just so a few people can stream? Or spent those same millions upgrading the network to improve coverage and ensure that more people have access to voice and fast data for what the network was designed for.

I really don't think people realise just why networks don't like people streaming over 3G.

As for AT&T's own solution, would I be right in thinking that it will be a paid for solution? So those using the excessive data will be paying extra for it?

Despite what most people seem to think, the networks usually do have valid reasons and it's not always just to grab your money.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I rather have them spent those same millions upgrading the network to improve coverage and ensure that more people have access to voice and fast data for what the network was designed for.

But if they won't allow SlingPlayer then they should not be making an app similar to it... i-Verse.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    But if they won't allow SlingPlayer then they should not be making an app similar to it... i-Verse.....
    But presumably they will charge for i-Verse and so be able to cover the cost of it's usage.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Yes! I am sure they will charge for i-Verse that is for sure..... and they will probably get it also....