Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor/leak: Hulu app coming to iPhone. Said to be "badass."

Default Rumor/leak: Hulu app coming to iPhone. Said to be "badass."
    Alley Insider is reporting that an industry executive revealed to them the development of a Hulu app for iPhone and iPod touch and quotes him as saying that it is "badass." Their reporting indicated that it should be as functional as the website, which hopefully means you can access your playlist/queue, ratings, comments, etc. They stress that it is NOT WiFi-only and should support streaming over Edge and 3G, though I'm sure the quality is lowered on cellphone networks just like YouTube videos.

Obviously, bandwidth use is a concern for network providers, but the reporting suggest that the potential for new subscribers could outweigh the drawbacks and even spur an ad revenue sharing deal, though I can't imagine how they would go about requesting that without prior provisions in the developer agreement. Oh wait, they allready did that. If so, I'm sure that devs of the rejected Sling player will be pretty upset about this.
    Last edited by CZroe; 04-20-2009 at 03:12 PM.

hulu app sounds cool

btw... leak is not the same as rumor

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    hulu app sounds cool

btw... leak is not the same as rumor
    Of course, but until we verify that it's a news leak from an industry insider as they claim, then it remains a rumor as far as we are concerned. I'm reporting their "plugged-in industry executive" (AKA "leak") from our perspective as a "rumor" while still reporting that they consider it a leak from a reliable source.
    Last edited by CZroe; 04-20-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I would love to have hulu on my phone!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

The new updated terms of services were removed by AT&T almost as quick as they were posted....JSYK.

I use HULU on my laptop and would love to see this on my phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I also use the crap out of hulu on my mac mini connected to the big screen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

so we can have Hulu but not Slingplayer? if this is true.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

Slingplayer will probably be approved.

Hulu is only available in the USA by the looks of it, which is probably good as streaming media is specifically prohibited by O2's T&C here in the UK (but not by my plan on T-Mobile)
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Slingplayer will probably be approved.

Hulu is only available in the USA by the looks of it, which is probably good as streaming media is specifically prohibited by O2's T&C here in the UK (but not by my plan on T-Mobile)
    OK, so, O2 can keep you guys from using Pandora or other streaming Internet radio apps by having them blocked from that region's App Store, but how can they block Apple from including the native YouTube app? If there is talk of revenue sharing, I have a feeling that it'll be treated more like a native app, though it will likely remain US-only (content partners and distribution rights).

Streaming is blocked in their T&C - if you break the T&C and they find out they can cancel your contract and make you pay.
    They *probably* wouldn't find out but most people stick to the T&C. If you don't and they do find out then you have no cause for complaint!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Streaming is blocked in their T&C - if you break the T&C and they find out they can cancel your contract and make you pay.
    They *probably* wouldn't find out but most people stick to the T&C. If you don't and they do find out then you have no cause for complaint!
    But that doesn't explain the seeming conflict with the YouTube app. Do "most people" avoid using it when they are off WiFi even though it specifically streams a lower-bitrate version from cellular networks?

Streaming over O2 is prohibited with O2. I hope people stick to their T&C - it's up to them, but if O2 find out then the consequences could be dire.

Luckily I'm with T-Mobile and I pay for a plan that does allow streaming

Streaming over O2 is prohibited with O2. I hope people stick to their T&C - it's up to them, but if O2 find out then the consequences could be dire.

Luckily I'm with T-Mobile and I pay for a plan that does allow streaming
    But... the native App is included on the iPhone. SO: Do they consider the YouTube App as being against their T&C or don't they? It *IS* "streaming" in the sense that it starts playing before it finishes downloading and it only downloads it to memory (a buffer). If it is included on their phones at all (I see it on their website), is it against their T&C to use it, or is it gimped (refuses to work when off WiFi)?

Perhaps the T&C was referring to out-bound streaming, which wouldn't apply to YouTube or Hulu apps.
    Last edited by CZroe; 04-24-2009 at 11:40 AM.