+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cyntact: First Impressions

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPhone News

forums, a part of the

iPhone News

section;
I just purchased Cyntact, the first (and currently only) app available in the new Cydia Store. I wanted to show my support for Jay (Saurik) Freeman and all he has
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Cyntact: First Impressions
    I just purchased Cyntact, the first (and currently only) app available in the new Cydia Store.

I wanted to show my support for Jay (Saurik) Freeman and all he has done for the community... even more than I wanted the app.

Cyntact is a cool mod for the built-in Contacts app though. It "shows profile pictures in contact lists!"

(Note: The purpose of this thread is to get impressions on Cyntact. There are other reviews of the Cydia Store itself and purchasing in it, so there's no need to focus on that part)

When I first installed Cyntact, it required me to restart the Springboard which means it must be a MobileSubstrate extensionas opposed to modifying the Contacts app itself.

It's also apparently not compatible with IntelliScreen (see the note on the app details), which isn't a problem for me because I use Lock Calendar instead.

It's really nice to have contact pictures showing up on the left side of each contact, but there is now a noticeable delay when starting up Contacts. Because of this, I can't give it full marks for usefulness. For those people who want fast access to their contacts, having pictures will obviously slow things down when loading.
    I compared my iPod Touch 2G with my wife's (whose Touch is not jailbroken) for speed of launching. It took more than twice as long to load.

I decided to uninstall it because of this delay. I don't regret the purchase though. Once I add in all my contact photos (using Google Contacts... I'm not willing to do it on my device), I will re-evaluate it. Hopefully, the delay doesn't increase terribly when there are more pictures to load.

Anyone else who bought it, please add your thoughts and impressions.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Mine is ok but I don't have many contacts that I have put pics for yet...I'll sit down and add them and then check again....I don't really care about the app just trying to help the cause a little myself...

iPhone? More like MyPhone makesmoves's Avatar
    Thanks

showing my support for the hacking community, bought it and hey guess what? I got it working with intelliscreen. Turn the cyntact performance booster ON inside intelliscreen, hit apply. Now turn intelliscreen off and then back on again.
    None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by makesmoves View Post
    showing my support for the hacking community, bought it and hey guess what? I got it working with intelliscreen. Turn the cyntact performance booster ON inside intelliscreen, hit apply. Now turn intelliscreen off and then back on again.
    I actually followed all the same steps but it seems like mine is screwed now. Cyntact is working fine and so is IntelliScreen however whenever I try to open Cydia the the program looks like its going to open but then after 3 second pause it closes and goes back to SpringBoard.

Now here is where I'm really screwed at. I figured I could shut off IntelliScreen and fix Cydia... but I have IntelliScreen in a "folder" that I made using "Categories" and when I click on any of the folders they do the same thing as Cydia. So I can't get into Cydia or any of my settings programs.

Anyone here anything about this or have any ideas on how to fix it? WinSCP still works which is good... any have any ideas?

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D3vils View Post
    I actually followed all the same steps but it seems like mine is screwed now. Cyntact is working fine and so is IntelliScreen however whenever I try to open Cydia the the program looks like its going to open but then after 3 second pause it closes and goes back to SpringBoard.

Now here is where I'm really screwed at. I figured I could shut off IntelliScreen and fix Cydia... but I have IntelliScreen in a "folder" that I made using "Categories" and when I click on any of the folders they do the same thing as Cydia. So I can't get into Cydia or any of my settings programs.

Anyone here anything about this or have any ideas on how to fix it? WinSCP still works which is good... any have any ideas?

Hopefully you have "Poof" already, or better yet SBSettings. And most of all hopefully you can access either. If you have SBSettings installed, swipe your finger accross your status bar to reveal it, tap "more" and a SBSettings menu will open, in that menu there is an icon for "poof" tap that. That will open a list of ALL apps on you phone. Find Intelliscreen in that list, and toggle it to "on" this willmake intelliscreen's icon appear on your springboard after a respring.
    Hope this helps!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

ok, back to thoughts on this app...???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D3vils View Post

any other ideas... same thing happened to me... can't get to cydia, can't get to intelliscreen settings, can't get o sbsettings poof app

iPhone? More like MyPhone makesmoves's Avatar
    Thanks

yea i just twittered saurik about it a half hr ago. I can't open cydia either with both intelliscreen and cyntact working. In your case I would suggest getting inside via diskaid or winscp and just deleting intelliscreen or COPYING the actual cyntact files which are located here /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries they are the two files with the cyntact name. Now after copying them to your desktop; delete them out the iphone and reboot with cyntact deleted. After this i would suggest going back to choosing between intelliscreen and cydia closing because we have both working whats the point without cydia? In my case i have to turn intelliscreen off any time i wanna update or get into cydia. It's a hinderance but not a complete setback like your case with categories. My respring doesnt work either by the way, i can only respring by sbsettings and selecting safe mode. Hopefully these issues will be addressed in a update.
    None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I fixed the problem last night before passing out. I went in through WinSCP and deleted the IntelliScreen folder from my phone /private/var/mobile/Library/Intelliborn (I backed it up to my HD first just in case). After that I restarted my phone and IntelliScreen didnt start. Next I went into Cydia and uninstalled IntelliScreen.

I liked IntelliScreen, but I see myself enjoying Cyntact more. After I got rid of IntelliScreen everything has been working perfectly. So far I like it. Def worth the dollar.

Hope that helps someone.

Thanks

What are you guys/gals using to manage the pictures. I heard you can't manually add pictures to a contact using the phone itself.

Thanks

FeX on app store for 99 cents, syncs your contacts with your friends facebook profiles!!!

nice app for 1$, would be nice if it could somehow add pics to the favorites list

Thanks

first of all the update fixed the lag issue

Second god only knows how many times Saurik tells us that intelliscreen is an unstable product and is bound to cause issues

third you can manually put pictures into your contacts. i dont even know what that question is asking. when you open up contacts just go to edit and then click on the profile picture. there you will have options to do whatever it is you want to do with the picture

This app is a really nice add on and i like it alot. i was more than happy to purchase this as it is solely supporting Saurik. i look forward to future apps in the cydia store
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    first of all the update fixed the lag issue

Second god only knows how many times Saurik tells us that intelliscreen is an unstable product and is bound to cause issues

third you can manually put pictures into your contacts. i dont even know what that question is asking. when you open up contacts just go to edit and then click on the profile picture. there you will have options to do whatever it is you want to do with the picture

This app is a really nice add on and i like it alot. i was more than happy to purchase this as it is solely supporting Saurik. i look forward to future apps in the cydia store
    An attitude like that really doesn't help others out.
    Anyway, a buddy of mine purchased the app and was saying it appears you could only manage to get pictures into the cyntact only if your friend had a facebook account and you synced through that. He told me he wasn't manually able to add a picture...but whatever, I don't understand how you can't understand a simple question like that.

Maybe I should just buy it and see. We are also aware of the intelliscreen issue, but it seems you have a problem when people are trying to post a fix or a way around the problem!!

Quote Originally Posted by KStryker View Post
    An attitude like that really doesn't help others out.
    Anyway, a buddy of mine purchased the app and was saying it appears you could only manage to get pictures into the cyntact only if your friend had a facebook account and you synced through that. He told me he wasn't manually able to add a picture...but whatever, I don't understand how you can't understand a simple question like that.

Maybe I should just buy it and see. We are also aware of the intelliscreen issue, but it seems you have a problem when people are trying to post a fix or a way around the problem!!
    Just installed Cyntact, it's a great app, and have no clue what my buddy was telling me about the contact having to have facebook in order to add a photo. Very easy to use, and gives the phone a unique look. I have a few friends with the iPhone, and when they saw my contacts, they were like, wow....how did you add photos
    Last edited by KStryker; 03-11-2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    YEAH! I hate how Saurik is always complaining about IS's terrible coding. What does HE know about iPhone apps anyway, right?

Last edited by jwcrash; 03-11-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks

i would like to see the pictures show up in the recent calls, favorites and texts.. now THIS would be sweet.
    unfortunatly i now have to go find pics for all these people.. bad thing is, i cant have them text them to me. lol..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
    i would like to see the pictures show up in the recent calls, favorites and texts.. now THIS would be sweet.
    unfortunatly i now have to go find pics for all these people.. bad thing is, i cant have them text them to me. lol..
    LOL, the dreaded no mms issue I feel your pain.

Thanks

hahah.. well buddy i dont think we are the only ones here.. hahah..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
    hahah.. well buddy i dont think we are the only ones here.. hahah..
    Have all your friends email the pictures to you...save it to a folder, and then use something like photobucket or imagecave to save em there...then navigate to that site, and save em all from there. MMS will come soon. March 17 at 10am, apple will be releasing the info on the 3.0 SDK update

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Cynacts
    I like this program; I too got it to show support. Has anyone heard anything back on how it can load faster?
    It has a delay but nothing too drastic. I like it a lot!
    Question: so, it only copies photos from contacts that have a facebook account? (as well as manualy adding them from your camera roll) is this correct?
    thanks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

all my contact display pix on mine are the ones that i had put into the contact info when i first put the name/number into my phone (i just delete the pictures from the picture roll after i've added them to the contact info)...i still haven't tried the facebook option...

overall i dig it... it loads pretty quickly, but i also have under 100 contacts