+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Undoumented feature in 2.1? Webapps behave like native apps....

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPhone News

forums, a part of the

iPhone News

section;
Pardons if this was mentioned. Couldn't find in search. OneRing2Rule From AppleInsider | Latest iPhone Software supports full-screen Web apps Latest iPhone Software supports full-screen Web apps By Sam Oliver
    iPhone? More like MyPhone OneRing2Rule's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Undoumented feature in 2.1? Webapps behave like native apps....
    Pardons if this was mentioned. Couldn't find in search.
    OneRing2Rule

From
    AppleInsider | Latest iPhone Software supports full-screen Web apps

Latest iPhone Software supports full-screen Web apps

By Sam Oliver
    Published: 12:00 PM EST

One unpublicized feature introduced by Apple's latest iPhone software updates is the ability to save Web apps to the home screen and have them launch in full-screen mode without the Safari wrapper, essentially mimicking the experience of a native app.

Clancy, an AppleInsider reader who brought the matter to our attention, believes the undocumented feature arrived as part of the most recent iPhone Software 2.1 update. He notes that the capability is only present in Web applications specifically authored to include the full-screen code.

To illustrate the feature, he's created a demo application for iPhone users to try out. In order to trigger the full-screen mode, follow these steps:

* Load the demo app in Safari on your iPhone
    * Hit the "+" button at the base of the Safari app
    * Select "Add to Home Screen"
    * Save the App to the Home Screen
    * Tap the icon that was just saved to your Home Screen
    * The demo App should load in full screen without the Safari wrapper.

Once the app is loaded in full-screen, it behaves just like a native app acquired from the App Store, though it may perform slightly slower as all the resources and interface elements are being downloaded in real-time over the Internet.

You can even pull the interface down like a native app without the Safari interface coming into play.
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Ooh first...

Sounds like apple is trying to take the integration of web based apps that are listed on their website better to possible dissuade the pursuit of "underground" alternatives
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone mgmm1's Avatar
    Thanks

Unfortunately, these "webapps" save to the homescreen still cannot be used with the Categories software. I tried and although they appear in the Category folder I create they also show on the home screen as well. The few I tried to open within the Catergories folder did not work...they wouldn't open. If they did work and Poof could hide the "webapps" on the home screen then this would be nice to have.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    there is a whole list in mexico's page of undocumented all in spanish though. Things like the headphone mic if you click it 3 times when in ipod it goes to the previous track.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

so its a webapp without the safari wrapper? Big deal... lol
    Nice find though. I don;t really use webapps so I hadn;t noticed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings