+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bee Jive for iphone

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPhone News

forums, a part of the

iPhone News

section;
    Thanks

Smile Bee Jive for iphone
    Saw this on the website blog.....sounds nice...

Beejive native iPhone app v1.0 complete, submitted to Apple

We are very happy to announce that version 1.0 of BeejiveIM for the iPhone & iPod Touch is complete and has been submitted to Apple for approval. We’re guessing it should be available in the iTunes App store within the next 2 weeks.

Below is the product description & features. We’d like to thank the small group of beta testers for helping us make this the most reliable IM app available for the iPhone!

—————————

Stay connected to all your instant messaging buddies anywhere you go! BeejiveIM keeps you in touch with your friends on AIM®/MobileMe®, MSN®/Windows Live®, Yahoo!®, GoogleTalk®, MySpace, ICQ® and Jabber… all at the same time, all on your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Beejive’s reliable and efficient networking has been tested and proven on multiple platforms. Now it is available for the iPhone. Move from 3G, Edge, and wifi connections seamlessly. Stay connected after you close the application and be notified when you get a new message through MobileMe push. After being out of coverage BeejiveIM automatically reconnects and picks up where you left off.

BeejiveIM uses your phone’s existing data plan or wifi connection, so you can save money by reducing your text messages.

BeejiveIM Key Features:

* BeejiveIM uses your existing data plan: no per-message charges.
    * Reliable and efficient networking: be connected 24/7, and it’s gentle on your battery.
    * Be connected even after you close the application. Get notified instantly when you get a new message (requires with MobileMe or Exchange/ActiveSync push email).
    * Works with multiple IM networks, multiple accounts per network: AIM®/iChat, MSN®, Yahoo!®, GoogleTalk®, ICQ®, Jabber, and MySpace IM.
    * Desktop-like instant messaging with all of your IM buddies from a single intuitive user interface.

Chatting Features:

* Real-time chats: quick switch between multiple simultaneous chats.
    * Full Unicode support, chat in any language supported by your iPhone.
    * Landscape option, type with a larger keyboard.
    * Chat history: Email chat logs to save chat history.
    * SMS out, chat with your SMS buddies through AIM or Yahoo SMS out. Fully integrated with your iPhone/iPod Touch address book.

Account & Buddy Features:

* Manage your buddy-list, including add/remove, nicknames, groups, block, approve/deny requests.
    * Sort/group/search your buddy list.
    * Control your own availability, set auto-away and custom status messages, be invisible, change privacy controls.
    * Configurable alerts, customizable sound, vibrate settings.
    * Buddy icon support, view your friends’ icons, set your own.

Coming soon, group chats, emoticons, and full hyperlink support!

Filed under: BeejiveIM for iPhone - Native Application Tags: by Jim Date 22 September, 2008

Thanks

interesting

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice, I loved the webapp before 2.0 came out (using Palringo now). But until Apple gets their act together and release push notifications, this app will be gimped

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Smile Beejive for iphone is out!!!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BLACKSTEEL1 For This Useful Post:

sammyj0r (09-29-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

WOW $15.99 ........ I might just stay with Palringo lol

Thanks

bleh. I just hope they don't take off their free web version.

Thanks

and its worth every penny....this is the best im app since agile

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am assuming there is no running in the background? If this is the case it is exactly $15.99 overpriced. What's the point? May as well use a webapp or one of the free apps off of cydia!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Haven't gotten it (yet) but from what I can tell the app is capable of push notifications, but since Apple hasn't released a firmware with push yet, we don't see it on the app (or any other app for that matter). Scouring for info, it seems the servers it logs you from keep you alive for a certain amount of time (not sure if you can say how long) and then whenever you open the app again it'll send you any unread messages.

EDIT: basically, at this point, it's unfair to blame apps for not having push since Apple hasn't provided that functionality yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Haven't gotten it (yet) but from what I can tell the app is capable of push notifications, but since Apple hasn't released a firmware with push yet, we don't see it on the app (or any other app for that matter). Scouring for info, it seems the servers it logs you from keep you alive for a certain amount of time (not sure if you can say how long) and then whenever you open the app again it'll send you any unread messages.

EDIT: basically, at this point, it's unfair to blame apps for not having push since Apple hasn't provided that functionality yet.
    Hey, thanks for this info. If this is the case (beejive working with push that is), it will totally be worth the 16 bucks (after Apple makes push available). Login time shouldn't be a huge issue. I would assume it would at least be several hours, maybe 5-ish? Maybe more? I think for me 5 would be around minimum but 10-12 would probably cover most people completely

EDIT: A quick note, while not having push IS Apple's fault it doesn;t detract from the fact that the App doesn't CURRENTLY allow messages to be received without the App being open, hance still keeping my feelings valid. Whoever's fault it is, 16 bucks still currently feels overpriced.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-28-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

from what i notice when you close beejive it still keeps you logged in though you don't get a push notification once you re open beejive all the messages show up so regardless of apple you still get what you want since it keeps you logged in

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I bought beejive and I love it! It's the best instant messenger app right now. It keeps me login and doesn't disconnect when I put it to sleep. Finally I get all of my messages. The only thing that I'm mad about is that you can't connect it with the t-zones 5.99 plan. I really don't want to spend 19.99 on the data plan. Does anyone got any ideas to fix this?

O yeah if you go to settings for beejive you can set it up to 24 hours session out. I think that means it will keep you on without getting kicked out? I'm pretty sure it goes more than 5 hours.
    Last edited by sammyj0r; 09-29-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammyj0r View Post
    I bought beejive and I love it! It's the best instant messenger app right now. It keeps me login and doesn't disconnect when I put it to sleep. Finally I get all of my messages. The only thing that I'm mad about is that you can't connect it with the t-zones 5.99 plan. I really don't want to spend 19.99 on the data plan. Does anyone got any ideas to fix this?

O yeah if you go to settings for beejive you can set it up to 24 hours session out. I think that means it will keep you on without getting kicked out? I'm pretty sure it goes more than 5 hours.
    wait... so this DOES run in the background?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Indeed it does run in the background. You have to play around with the settings first. I set mine to 24 hour session out. While I don't think it will notify(meaning vibrate or play a sound when you get an IM) you from incoming IMs after a while, but everyone still sees you that you are online. If you click on the app again when returning from putting it to sleep, you still get all the messages that your friends IMed you. I'm testing it on wifi though not sure how it would run on edge. I WANT IT TO WORK ON EDGE TZONES 5.99 plan! Help please!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammyj0r View Post
    Indeed it does run in the background. You have to play around with the settings first. I set mine to 24 hour session out. While I don't think it will notify(meaning vibrate or play a sound when you get an IM) you from incoming IMs after a while, but everyone still sees you that you are online. If you click on the app again when returning from putting it to sleep, you still get all the messages that your friends IMed you. I'm testing it on wifi though not sure how it would run on edge. I WANT IT TO WORK ON EDGE TZONES 5.99 plan! Help please!
    Two things:

1 - The app doesn't run in the background, the Beejive servers you log in keep you alive for X amount of time (you choose on the app settings)
    2 - App just sends data like any other app, so your T-Zone plan should work if it sends/receives data to your phone for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    No official app will ever run in the background. Ever.

What this app does (and what most apps will be doing in the future) is keep you alive in their servers regardless of whether you have the app open or closed. So to everyone else, you appear "online" all the time. If you're sent a message and the app is closed, the server will keep it until you open it again, at which point you receive any unread messages.

The app also has support for push notifications already, but those don't work yet since Apple hasn't released the push functionality yet.

In summary: you don't get notifications yet but it won't log you off if you close it.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 09-29-2008 at 01:43 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

sammyj0r (10-03-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It DOES work in the background in a sense....if you have a Microsoft Exchange account. In the settings, put your Exchange email address in. Also, keep sessions at 24 hours. When you leave Beejive, and you receive a message, your Exchange account gets an email with a link that opens Beejive. Exchange is PUSH so you get your messages almost right away. It may be a bit of a workaround but for many of us who rely on our IM, it is the best solution so far in the absence of true multitasking or background running apps.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Brooose For This Useful Post:

sammyj0r (10-03-2008)

Thanks

If anyone cares, Backgrounder was just released on Cydia and it allows you to run any app in the background, including Beejive.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

sammyj0r (10-03-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how does backgrounder work? Just install it and it automatically works?

Thanks

Installed it on release day. I like it way more than any other IM client that is out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Use a Microsoft Exchange email account to send you Beejive alerts and it is almost as good as it running in the background. The Exchange messages get pushed to your iphone so you can receive your IMs even when you are not on Beejive. Get a free exchange account at mail2web.com - Pick Up Your Email. I am not affilliated with mail2web at all. I use their email and have pretty good luck with it.