Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g out of the box works with PayAsYouGo AT&T SIM CARDS CONFIRMED

Default iPhone 3g out of the box works with PayAsYouGo AT&T SIM CARDS CONFIRMED
    Erica Sadun has just reported this:

FROM [ TUAW ]

"Today, I finally got my hands on a 3G iPhone. It's not mine. I'm borrowing it for a contract for a very short time. But it was my first time to truly confirm that the rumors were true: a completely virgin iPhone 3G works out of the box with AT&T Pay As You Go SIMs.
    After unwrapping all the plastic stuff, I popped the 3G SIM holder (it's a lot smaller and more fragile than the sturdy 1st Gen version) and plopped in a fresh PAYG SIM. The SIM had a 30 day/"Unlimited" data (i.e. up to 5GB) feature plan attached to it, which I put on there a few days ago, and otherwise has about 4 dollars and change of credit. (See my previous TUAW discussion about Prepaid Data Packages and the iPhone.)

After about two minutes, the iPhone acknowledged the SIM and threw up an AT&T logo. I made an outgoing phone call without any problems.

Getting the 3G signal proved harder. I had to walk outside until I found a 3G hot spot (and yes, I do live in a major metropolitan area). Once I got my bars and the 3G logo, I found the connection worked great. Nice and fast. This is the same SIM I had in a 1st Generation iPhone yesterday with EDGE.

I did not pwn the iPhone. I did not unlock the iPhone. It. Just. Worked.

If you're looking to use your phone data-only, you can sweeten the deal by taking advantage of one of AT&T's refurb packages. This Nokia deal comes with a $100 refill card for just $80 shipped. That's 5 months of 3G data for $80 and the credit lasts for an entire year. Not bad. You can donate the leftover phone to protect victims of domestic violence.

Make sure you add your next data feature packs before your 30 days expire. Buying before the end of the month extends the current feature pack for 30 days.

Should your feature pack expire, you'll be charged at a very high per-kilobyte rate. Call 611. Say "Buy Features". Which store? Say "Media Net". Listen to the three choices. Say "Unlimited" and then "Buy It". Quit with "I'm done here." You can "Check my feature packages" by calling 611."

We'll see what AT&T thinks about this. I'm from Mexico and I'll be trying payasyougo sim with the carrier here, hope it works.
    Last edited by ♻①☛; 09-14-2008 at 05:39 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ♻①☛ For This Useful Post:

kimvichi (09-30-2008), LEVMAN (09-15-2008)

Thats flippin nuts. I just finally got an iPhone, I have been loyal to the Touch. I couldn't afford the deposit so I settled for a used 2G and hooked up pay as you go with unlimited data. They ( ATT ) told me the 3G doesn't work on pre-paid. I guess I was misinformed. So you are saying I could cop a 3G and put this sim in and enjoy the fruits of the new phone?????????
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

Thanks

don't mean to sound negative, but why is erica declaring this on september 13th?

i mean, erica has done allot for the iphone community etc, but i remember reading an article from here prior to the 3g release saying how she wasn't going to get it because of X, Y and Z.

now, if she would have reached into her pocket and got 1, and released this news at launch ( which is when PAYG sim cards where working in the 3g iphone ) then this news would be relevant.

this is not a new 2.1 feature.

with the release of a PAYG iphone this week this news is completely mistimed and irrelevant to the real world. may i dare say: useless.

welcome to the iphone 3g erica.

advice for UK buyers: get the 3g on PAYG and get a Simplicity tariff contract. It's the same as the 35 a month iphone contract, but only 20 a month

i can personally confirm that pwning your iphone with a PAYG sim card in it, and doing just about any other feature possible is exactly the same as with a contract.

now, a 3g unlock is a completely different story and one that is worth reading about.....
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker