+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve touched by how iPad helps girl with sight problems

is a discussion within the

Member Written iPad News

forums, a part of the

iPad News

section;
Being Melbourne born and breed, thought I would share this with the MMi community. A MELBOURNE schoolgirl with a sight disorder has become a poster child for Apple's iPad. Holly
    Thanks

Default Steve touched by how iPad helps girl with sight problems
    Being Melbourne born and breed, thought I would share this with the MMi community.

A MELBOURNE schoolgirl with a sight disorder has become a poster child for Apple's iPad.

Holly Bligh, 9, has albinism, a genetic condition that affects not only the pigment in her skin, hair and eyes, but also her vision.

But the sight problems that once made school a struggle for Holly are now largely a thing of the past - and her parents thank her touch-screen tablet.

The iPad has replaced a weighty magnifying glass as Holly's classroom companion, and a simple swipe of her finger now zooms in on text that once had to be enlarged by teachers on the photocopier.

Holly's attention span has increased and her mother, Fiona, estimates "visual fatigue" now takes twice as long to set in.

"Holly's enthusiasm to read has grown so much, and it's definitely increased her independence," Ms Bligh said.

So impressed was Ms Bligh with her daughter's transformation that she sent a message to the very top at Apple.

Within hours of directly emailing multi-billionaire chief executive Steve Jobs, she was thrilled to receive a response.

"Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Do you mind if I read your email to a group of our top 100 leaders at Apple?" he wrote.

Mr Jobs signed off with "Thanks, Steve", and asked for a high-resolution photo of Holly with her iPad.

"I never thought we would hear back," Ms Bligh said.

"I know a lot of people think it's just a great gadget, but it's completely changed Holly's life."

Ms Bligh and her husband, James, were unaware they carried the recessive gene for albinism - and therefore a one-in-four chance of having an albino baby - until Holly, their third child, arrived.

Their family followed the textbook, with Holly the only one of four Bligh children inheriting albinism and nystagmus, a condition characterised by the involuntary flicker of the eyes.

Ms Bligh said the condition meant Holly would always have some limitations, such as being unable to drive. But it won't hold her back.

"Holly's very adaptable and she's got a fantastic attitude," Ms Bligh said.

And now she is cool with her schoolmates.

"All the other kids think it's awesome that she gets an iPad!" Ms Bligh wrote to the Apple boss. "Sometimes in the past Holly has found her extra equipment embarrassing ... But the iPad has a coolness factor!"

Source: iPad becomes the Apple of Holly's eye | Herald Sun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steve touched by how iPad helps girl with sight problems-739187-ipad.jpg  
    iPhone 4 | iMac 24" | MacBook Pro 15" | ATV | iPod Classic | Time Capsule | iPad 16 Gb |

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

That's a very cool story! Reading is awesome.

What's Jailbreak? Matthew_Madlock's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow this displays how Apple Is changing the world for the better!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That is wonderful!! My son was shaken as an infant and is considered legally blind. We've used different computers and very expensive software programs that enlarge text and read what cant be enlarged, trying to find what works best for him. He will be 13 years old next month and is wanting an iPod touch to listen to music and play games like his cousins do. We are getting him an ipad2 for his birthday/Christmas. Having the option to enlarge whatever he wants without the expensive software, and can play the games, is like heaven for all of us. I can't wait to see how this will work for him.