+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want to get my first apple laptop-where to start?

is a discussion within the

Macbook

forums, a part of the

Laptops

section;
Ive been using pc desktop and laptops for years, always wanted an apple laptop. I wonder now, where should i start? Is it hard to go from pc to apple
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Want to get my first apple laptop-where to start?
    Ive been using pc desktop and laptops for years, always wanted an apple laptop. I wonder now, where should i start? Is it hard to go from pc to apple for laptop? do they run the same stuff? will i be able to basically do the same things? Which should i get to start with. I currently have a 17" laptop with the i5 processor and 8gb of ram with hdmi. I would like some like it, but hopefully not cost an arm and a leg. can anyone help?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,626 Times in 5,901 Posts

Yes you will be able to "run the same stuff". You can even install a program/app called Bootcamp that will partition your machine and allow installation of Windows and Windows software. But there are tons of apps just like if not better then Windows app AFIAK.

Buying new;
    An 11" MacBook Air starts at around $1000.00
    13" around @1200.00
    Then you can cutomise it to your specs and add more money.
    MacBook Pro 13" starts around $1200.00 and can climb to over $2000.00 moving up in size and options.
    I would not be afraid to perhaps buy a used Mac on eBay or somewhere that is under 2 years old to start. You can find some great deals if you spend the time searching.
    Here is a link that should help you.
    Apple - Why You

How cool, your from the Vally too, howdy neighbor.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 09-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

disneyfun1 (09-19-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

thanks for the info!! and hi to you to neighbor!

Thanks

No worries, hope you find a good one. Once you go Mac, you never go back. I converted about 4 years ago and being a Apple fangurl, I now own all things Apple (they haz all my monies).
    At my business we still run Windows machines, so I am reminded daily why I love Mac OS so much more.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I agree with blkcadi. Definitely go with either a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air. I've never been a fan of the white models. For the price, I don't think they're worth it.

As for if it's hard to convert from Windows to OS X, well that depends on how tech savvy you are. My dad is a moderately technological guy but he was resistant to when I forced him to buy an iMac. He always broke is PC's by contracting viruses and not properly uninstalling programs, etc. The OS X has a little bit of a learning curve. He was frustrated at first and essentially told me just to take the iMac or put Windows on it for him. I put Windows on it for him of course...over the course of 3 weeks he just stopped using Windows on it and told me to get it off so it would stop taking up space on his iMac.

It might take time for you to get used to it (it did for me...) but once you do get used to it, I think you'll really enjoy it. Have fun.

Oh yeah, if you don't mind buying previous models (not the latest models) you can get MacBooks refurbished by Apple. I have a MacBook Pro bought refurbed, it was a 2010 model I bought in 2011 and I paid $920 plus tax for it. You'll save a couple hundred dollars if you buy an Apple refurbed from Apple's site. They do not come with a nice MacBook box like the new ones do, but if you're looking to save money buy it from Apple's refurbed site for sure. They come in perfect condition, they include a 1 year warranty with Apple, and they should work just like new.

Thanks

^Agree 100%, there is a definite learning curve if you never used a Mac, you tube, our site and friends were abused daily by me for a couple weeks or so.
    But once you figure you'll see how much easier and smoother it is to manage your machine you'll fall in love with it, it happens to us all.

Thanks
    Hey guys !
    I just bought my new mac book air !!
    I thought it would be a great fun package like IOS, as it offers a huge market app !!
    But i'm disappointed after spend a huge money and getting this small app market for mac !!
    Can someone plz plz plz suggest some ways to mac cool !! Fun and heavy app as it is a big specs machine !!
    Plz advise !!