Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HDD to Replace SuperDrive?

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Default HDD to Replace SuperDrive?
    I know it's possible ( How to Install a Solid-State Drive in Your MacBook) to install a 2.5" SSD or HDD in place of the SuperDrive (with the help of a braket) but I was wondering if anyone knew whether a 3.5" SATA HDD would fit into the empty SuperDrive area, with no brakets or anything? Would the SATA connecters line up? I would like to know before I void my warranty to do this Thanks in advance!

Anyone?

I found out that the connectors for the SuperDrive are proprietary. As soon as my Torx screwdriver comes in the mail, I'll try my idea anyways, and post the results here.

If it doesn't work, then I found a knockoff of the OptiBay on Amazon for $17, along with a DVD drive enclosure that works with the SuperDrive for under $20, and 500GB 2.5 inch HDD for around $60. Not a bad deal considering the original OptiBay and SuperDrive enclosure are $99!
    Last edited by staterunner180; 02-07-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

3.5" SATA drives will not fit in a laptop