Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Macbookforums, a part of the
I need some help making a decision. I've decided to buy a Mac, because my 5 year old Windows box is on its last leg. It constantly crashed with blue...
11-04-2010, 06:33 PM #1
MacBook vs. Mac Mini, when to buy?
I need some help making a decision. I've decided to buy a Mac, because my 5 year old Windows box is on its last leg. It constantly crashed with blue screens, and it's not just one error over and over. It's serveral.
But that's beside the point. I either am planning on buying a Mac Mini - the 2.4 GhZ model - and probably upgrading the RAM to 4 GB from Crucial since they are cheaper. I would also buy a wireless keyboard, since I already have a Magic Mouse, bringing the total to about $700. I would also need the DisplayPort to DVI adaptor, which would run be about $30.
Or I was thinking about buying the 2.4 GhZ MacBook, and also upgrading the memory to 4 GB, therefore maxing it out. With this I would also need the DisplayPort to DVI, but wouldn't need the keyboard.
I mainly use my computer for surfing the web, managing my extensive music library, and watching movies. I'm also a student though, so I would be spending time typing papers, but just being in high school I don't absoloutly need the protability of the MacBook.
At this point, I'm sort of leaning toward the Mac Mini more, because of the extra 100 GB that comes standard on the hard drive. But I would probably end up upgrading either hard drive, so I could dual boot with Windows.
No matter which one I end up deciding on, would it be a good choice to buy a refurb'd one from the Apple store and save around $100? Or is it better just to buy new?
Any and all help is greatly appriciated!
Oh and also, if I do decide on the MacBook, I understand it's nearing the end of its renewal cycle. As in, its hardware is soon to be updated by Apple. Is it likely that Apple will update the MacBook at their next event, whenever it is? Should I wait until they do?
Last edited by staterunner180; 11-04-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
11-04-2010, 07:30 PM #2
11-04-2010, 07:35 PM #3
From a power standpoint, as in processing power, which one is better? Is one more snappy or faster then the other?
11-04-2010, 07:36 PM #4
11-04-2010, 07:40 PM #5
11-04-2010, 07:43 PM #6
Haha, well I would love to have the cash to spend on that, but I mean between the base model MacBook and base model Mac mini.
11-04-2010, 07:50 PM #7
11-04-2010, 07:51 PM #8
go with MB
The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:
11-04-2010, 07:54 PM #9
Okay thanks for all the feedback! Since I could double my MacBook as a desktop in clamshell mode I'm leaning more toward it. But we will see what the total comes to when I get to the store
11-04-2010, 07:58 PM #10
MacBook I prefer.
Want to save money? Go with the Mac MiniAsking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!
11-04-2010, 07:59 PM #11
11-04-2010, 08:11 PM #12
Go for the MacBook, it'll be worth it. Instead of being tied down to a desk to use your computer, you'll be able to roam freely. External hard drives are cheaply available if you are in desperate need of free space later on.
MacBooks also have better resale value, should you choose to upgrade in the future.
Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
11-05-2010, 06:00 AM #13
So ill definitely be going with the MacBook So now the question is whether I should buy now or not.
Accroding to MacBook Buyer's Guide - Mac Guides, it's nearing the end of its cycle. Is it really likely that that MacBook will be updated or refreshed in about 24 days? Or anywhere around that, really. I would hate to spend that kind of money just for it to be outdated in a month.
11-05-2010, 06:06 AM #14
They could be updated soon, no one knows for sure (except Apple). If that article is right it does look like a refresh may be coming soon, although I doubt it will be before the end of the year IMO.
11-05-2010, 02:12 PM #15
I would go with the server edition so you could probably access anywhere and use that profile
11-05-2010, 03:00 PM #16
Okay so it wouldn't be a mistake to buy now? If I'm going to have to wait until early next year then I'll just buy one now. My other computer is to the point where it's unuseable. At this point, I think the only thing I can do is salvage the better parts out of it, outfit it with basic componets, and give it to my little brother
11-05-2010, 03:40 PM #17
11-05-2010, 06:05 PM #18
Any idea when the next apple event will be?
11-05-2010, 06:07 PM #19
11-05-2010, 06:21 PM #20
Okay. In your opinion, do you think that the update will be big enough to make me regret buying a MacBook now? I'm not really all about having the newest, most cutting edge product. But if they update the case, or the HD I might prefer to wait.