+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should I convert to Mac from Windows?

is a discussion within the

Macbook

forums, a part of the

Laptops

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Should I convert to Mac from Windows?
    Hey guys! Well basically I need to get a new machine. I currently have a Dell desktop (Dimension E521) running Windows XP. I've had the computer for a number of years now, and I think it's just about time to upgrade. I am going to be needing a laptop for college, and also I'll be going to university (hopefully!) next year. I have always thought MacBooks were cool, but I've never really saw the reason for the price difference to a good laptop. For almost half the price, you can get a good Dell laptop with the same specs, if not better specs, than a MacBook. But I realise that technical specs aren't everything, it comes down to the user experience too. A few of my friends have MacBooks, and they say it's the best thing ever lol. And I'm a huge fan of iPhones, currently loving my iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4 was very expensive - I bought mine outright, kept my same contract (cost me 490) and I'm more than happy with it. So I was thinking that even though the MacBook is very expensive, I'll probably love it too

The reason why I'm asking for advise is because I know the OS is very different from Windows, and I was wondering will I still be able to get most of my favourite programs on the Mac? For example, I use a lot of Photoshop in college, among other software such as Dreamweaver, Blender, and other web/graphic design software. Also, are less important programs such as MSN still available on a Mac?

I hope some of you guys can tell me if it's worth dishing out the extra cash. Please try not to be biased to either machine, I know a lot of you will love Apple and defend it to the death, but I need to know genuinely if it's worth spending all that money!

Thanks for reading

Edit: If anyone can link me to a good video comparing MacBook vs a laptop running Windows 7, that would be much appreciated! I've been looking all over the net, and YouTube just has old videos that are over a year old, I can't find a single vid that compares these that's up to date! I'd love to watch a video comparing MacBook with a Dell laptop, since I would probably be going for a Dell if I don't get a mac
    Last edited by Funked; 10-29-2010 at 06:53 AM.

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

Thanks

Based on what you said, a lot of graphic design, I'd say go for it. Get a Mac. All the designers that I know all use Macs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

Funked (10-29-2010)

Thanks

Yeh, my tutor said that Mac is industry standard in the line of work I'm interested in. I'll be doing a lot of web design, graphic design, 3D animation and stuff like that. But I also need to know if the MacBook will still be good for normal use like web browsing. Also, is it worth spending the extra and getting a MacBook Pro? Or is a regular MacBook still really good? Thanks for your reply

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm a business major so I don't know how much my input matters, but I have found a lot of mac users in my classes get put in a bind because certain software we use isn't mac compatible or must be run with vmware. I've always liked the MacBook designs, and went that direction, but just have windows running on it. A couple people i know have both os running on the macs so it may be the way to go if you can afford it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to phatcamaro For This Useful Post:

Funked (10-29-2010)

Thanks

I only found out that you can boot your Mac to run Windows, that's awesome! I also saw that you can have both operating systems running at the same time, that's even more awesome! I think it seems a MacBook is the way to go, since now I know that I'll be able to run it on Windows if I really need to. I know the software for this is probably quite pricey, but if it's to help me get a good education, and a good job down the line, then I'm willing to save my pennies and fork out for the software

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I agree Mac is better for animations and web designs. All the computer graphics classes at my college use macs. But personally, I don't think it's a big enough reason to get a Mac because graphic designed is probably not the only thing you'll be doing on it..I would stick with windows but again, it's up to you.

Also, I know that Dell has new line of notebooks that are designed with media in mind. You should check those out, I forgot the model name but I'll post here when I remember

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    A lot of people dont realize what you get with a mac when you buy one. If you look at the hardware and find a compareable computer yes its a few hundred dollars cheaper, but when you ad the programs like ilife that come with a mac you see the difference. go in a apple store and play with the computers and see all the programs on one. i think its like comparing bmw to ford... no matter how cheap of a bmw 3 series you get it still has a toon of features a ford fusion isnt gonna have.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would recommend a fast, power house . . . how about this, don't dual boot, instead, get a program called VMware. Allows you to virtually access the OS . . .

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

If you're interested in higher specs then just a Core 2 Duo processorand 4 GB of memory, then I would go with a Pro. You might need the extra power too, if you're going to be running memory intensive programs like Photoshop and 3D graphics.

I actually just made the jump from a Windows XP desktop to a MacBook, and I can tell you it's definitely worth every penny OS X does literally everything Windows can, and more. Even if there is a program that only runs on Windows, you can easily find an alternative that runs on Mac, and is probably better. Plus, if you simply cannot do with anything but that program that's only Windows compatible, then you can just run in under VMware, Parallels, or Boot Camp, which all allow you to run different OS's.

Plus the customer service is great. If you ever have any problem with your Mac, you can just take it to your local Apple Store. I'm pretty sure that even if you're not under warranty they would at least tell you what the problem is, and how you could fix it.

All in all, Mac just has a better user experience than Windows, so its definitely worth the price difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Go mac for sure

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I converted over a few years ago and I am not sorry that I did. I do us Vmware also. However as time has went on I have been getting away from using it. I like it but have found other programs using my Macs to do the same thing. I would go with a Mac.

Remember you have a 15 or 30 day trial and if you don't like it you can return it. I love my Apple products!

"Always remember your special and unique!"