Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about macbook specs

Default Question about macbook specs
    I currently have a macbook unibody that's the 2.0ghz model

My questions is that would it make a big difference if i were to upgrade to the 2.4ghz macbook model.

My other question is, what is the difference between the graphics card on the macbook 13' unibody and the macbook pro 13' unibody

this isnt exactly a macbook forum, but yeah i would assume 2.4 would be better, dont know about the grafics cards
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

The graphics cards are the same. The MacBook Pro offers FireWire 800 and an SD card slot. You can get faster hard drives on the MacBook Pro as well (7,200 RPM as-opposed-to 5,400 RPM). Not that you can't upgrade your existing drive at the moment. The difference between 2.0 GHz and 2.4 GHz is not going to be huge. You'll notice some difference, but I don't think it's really worth upgrading just for that. Rather look at a 15".
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickswagger View Post
    this isnt exactly a macbook forum, but yeah i would assume 2.4 would be better, dont know about the grafics cards
    Actually, yes it is. Look at the forum description above the URL box. It says apple forum & iPhone forums. We talk about everything apple on this forum. Plus not to mention where he posted this thread... Under MacBook. Now to your question, there is a slight difference, if you got to Apple click on mac. And you can compare the specs.

so my main concern now i guess is the processor.

Will the 2.4ghz vs the 2.0ghz make a big difference?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zhu_dawg For This Useful Post:

LSZ33 (07-04-2009)

Thanks

Btw, do you have a aluminum MacBook? The white plastics MacBook's graphics card is different for the aluminum MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro. Are you looking at getting a used 2.4 GHz MacBook? The processor speed upgrade isn't huge form 2.0 GHz to 2.4 GHz. There could be a difference in bus and RAM speed. What models exactly are you looking at and what do you have now?

I ask this question because there is someone on craigslist that I am looking to trade macbooks with. His is the 2.4ghz, 250gb hd, and backlit keyboard warranty ending october 14th, where as mine is the 2.0ghz model 160gb hd, warranty ending december 18th. I am looking to give him some cash to upgrade, how much do you guys think i should pay?

yes, this is the aluminum macbook

Thanks

Can you post the Craigslist link?

Mint condition 13 inch 2.4Ghz Macbook unibody - Apple Care

there is the link, how much money should i add if we were to trade computers all together, or if we were to just trade macbooks and keep our repective hard drives?

Thanks

I take it you're in the Lower Mainland? I'd say yours is worth about CND $600-$700. There is a HUGE difference between yours and his. It's definitely worth the upgrade.

- faster processor speed and chip architecture
    - 1066 MHz system bus speed compared to 800 MHz
    - 256 MB (dedicated) NVidia GeForce 9400M compared to 144 MB (shared) Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100
    - SATA II (3 GBs) compared to SATA I (1.5 GBs)

Trading hard drives is easy. You can upgrade to a bigger, faster hard drive for cheap. I would also say that you should upgrade the RAM form 2 GB to at least 4 GB.

Is the guy willing to exchange?

He's willing to exchange, but I have to add some cash.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have the aluminium macbook 2.0 ghz, and his is the aluminium macbook 2.4ghz
    Last edited by zhu_dawg; 07-04-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Sweet. Go for it! See if he'll take $500-600.

Attached is the full spec list of the two MacBooks from Mactracker.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Oh, the difference is only the processor speed. It's a not gonna be a huge difference. Rather use that money and upgrade your RAM and hard drive.

I have the unibody macbook, but it's just 2.0ghz, so the only differences between our macbooks is the processor, hard drive and backlit keyboard.

Thanks

Yep. For about $200, you could add a 320 GB, 7,200 RPM hard drive and 4 GB of RAM. If you really want the backlit keyboard and faster processor, go for it then. You could always use a USB goose neck light!

Seeing the you have a different model to what I thought, and compared to what he's asking, I'd say that you could offer $200-$400. Yours is worth maybe $900-$1000 depending on the condition.

It looks better and better...

Now that you mention it. How much of a difference does the 4GB of memory and a 7200rpm hard drive make?

Thanks

I have 4 GB of RAM and it's not enough! If you use Photoshop, Parallels Desktop, or any other heavy memory hungry application, it will make a big difference. A faster hard drive allows fast read/write speeds, meaning saving and opening files is faster as well as your system runs faster. Btw, I live in the Lower MAinland if you need help migrating your data or installing extra RAM or a new hard drive.

Cool, do you know a good place where i get get some ram and a new hard drive?

Thanks

Thanks for that. I have one more question to ask. What are the hardware and performance differences between the new unibody 13" macbook and the macbook unibody 13" last 2008?

Do you have one of this pdf files that goes over the specs of the macbook pro 13"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast