+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backlit Keyboard Mod?

is a discussion within the

Macbook

forums, a part of the

Laptops

section;
    Thanks
    Default Backlit Keyboard Mod?
    Ok so i have bought a new MacBook 2Ghz, and i didn't realise that it didn't come with a backlit keyboard, by the time i had been using it and had gotten used to it. (used to use the old macbook new one is so much better)

I can't return it (out of the 28 days return) is there a way to upgrade the keyboard so i can have it backlit without selling this on and buying a new one for 200 more !! .....

Could i take it to an apple fix it shop and see if they will upgrade or can i... do it my self??

cheers guys

Thanks

You can always see what Apple will do for you in terms of an upgrade, but it would be quite resource intensive to mod it. Apple most definitely would not help you there.
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 12-07-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    Respect your elders.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Try a couple Apple stores -- sometimes you get lucky.

As far as upgrading the keyboard to have a backlight I don't think there is any type of easy procedure around. The entire casing and mounting points etc etc etc has changed so you would have to practically buy the entire computer in components to make it happen

Thanks
    ahhh right cheers guys !! I thought about going to apple because i haven't had it long, well its over 28 days now obviously !! hmm ok

Thanks

Still worth a try. And isn't the return period only 14 days without AppleCare?
    Respect your elders.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i wouldn't mind having a backlit keyboard either.. There has to be a way to mod this, wasn't there a way to do it on the old macbooks??

Thanks

It would be so sweet to be able to to it on a WhiteBook!
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The backlit keys are really the main reason I got my 2.4 (well that and the peppier processor)

Would be neat seeing a mod but as Cash said, it would probably cost more in parts to do this mod (and a possible voiding of any warranties) than to just sell the one you have and BUY the upper model. That and you get a 20% increase in processor speed, so it wouldn't be just money spent on the keyboard
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I will be getting a white macbook but I enjoy my 17 powerbook and its backlit keyboard so i guess i have the best of both worlds

Thanks

it is impossible to type on a macbook black in the dark

i would love a backlit keyboard

Thanks

I saw a guy on youtube do this mod and it was by using a macbook air assembly but he cautioned almost destroying his macbook in the process. I say just resell and upgrade to a backlit one unless your gifted in the tech department.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

While I definitely agree that upgrading a 2.0GHz Al MacBook with a backlit keyboard is usually not cost efficient, I find myself in a position to do so regardless.

My laptop has suffered a liquid spill, resulting in the click function on the trackpad not working and leaving the keys sticky. The computer itself runs fine, and I've been using a USB mouse in the meantime.

I'm about to order a new top case to get things back to normal and was wondering if the backlit model will work. I know the logic board has the plug for it (have already disassembled everything), but I was wondering about the software side of things. Anyone know if the OS picks this thing up automatically and allows for the dimming and ambient light functions?

I'm already going to be spending money on a case, and the unit is out of warranty (and in pieces on my desk) so in this case it really wouldn't be out of the question to try this in terms of cost. I would kind of hate to spend the extra for the backlight only to have the OS not allow it to function, though.

Any thoughts?

-Ant.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

damn $300. any cost effective solutions?

Banned
    Thanks

Still worth a try