+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: would this work?

is a discussion within the

Macbook Pro

forums, a part of the

Laptops

section;
I want to go back to snow leopard currently on mountain lion, I felt after upgrading its just slowed and my boot time has increased. Basically not performing how it
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default would this work?
    I want to go back to snow leopard currently on mountain lion, I felt after upgrading its just slowed and my boot time has increased. Basically not performing how it first did. I cleaned what needed to be cleaned I even reinstalled mountain lion whipping my HD just not satisfied. I don't have a external hardrive to transfer stuff but I have enough space to partition my hard rive and make another partition on it for snow leopard and to transfer over my main files, music,pictures, comics and movies at about 150 gb in total. Im thinking of partitioning and installing snow on the second one and once I have everything transferred delete my mountain lion partition and take over the space it was taking up.
    "I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code"

"With Great Power , Comes Great responsibility" That is something we all need to remember

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

What model do you have and what are the specs?

Get yourself an external hard drive and backup your data. You're skating on thin ice without a backup. Partitioning your drive is going to be a very slow way to go.

I'd stay with Mountain Lion. Far better than Snow Leopard. You will handicap yourself by reverting when it comes to software. Anything requiring Java, for example.

Maybe upgrading your RAM or even better, installing an SSD, will go a long way to improving performance.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

Prox (04-04-2013)

Thanks

MBP 13-inch, Early 2011
    Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
    500 GB HD.
    Thinking once I get my check going to upgrade up to 8GB ram and a 1TB HD.
    Would change the graphics card but its not possible =/

The reason with snow leopard I just felt it was much faster and as soon I updated to lion I felt a performance decrease and mountain lion is about the same. So lets say a client game as runescape, I would suffer while being on snow leopard since it uses java or would it be more technical and developer with java where I would suffer?

"With Great Power , Comes Great responsibility" That is something we all need to remember

Thanks

You have a 5,400 RPM hard drive. Slow... I have an OCZ Vertex III: OCZ Vertex 3 - Max IOPS SATA 3 2.5" 6Gb/s SSD

Apple lists the max RAM as 8 GB, but you should be able to go to 16 GB. Works in mine. Memory Search | Kingston

I don't know what the performance difference for Runescape would be like. I just mentioned Java as Oracle's version requires 10.7.

You will find 10.6 reaching end of life fairly quickly. Apple pretty much no longer supports 10.5 Leopard. Updates for 10.6 will probably end soon too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

Prox (04-04-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scoops98 View Post
    You have a 5,400 RPM hard drive. Slow... I have an OCZ Vertex III: OCZ Vertex 3 - Max IOPS SATA 3 2.5" 6Gb/s SSD

Apple lists the max RAM as 8 GB, but you should be able to go to 16 GB. Works in mine. Memory Search | Kingston

I don't know what the performance difference for Runescape would be like. I just mentioned Java as Oracle's version requires 10.7.

You will find 10.6 reaching end of life fairly quickly. Apple pretty much no longer supports 10.5 Leopard. Updates for 10.6 will probably end soon too.
    Thats my only dislike is the low memory they have 250 Gb i'll eat up with my music, comics, pictures and movies. For a HD I was told http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tag=tekcert-20
    isn't bad.

So i've heard the max can be up to 16 GB kind of pricey I believe it was, was really paying attention to 8. Acutally just looked at it, the 16gb ram is just $30 more which isn't bad at all.

I mean, I can go to snow and see what happens upgrading is no problem since I don't have to fresh install it.

and heres a ssd I saw on amazon.
    Amazon.com: Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST750LX003: Computers & Accessories
    Last edited by Prox; 04-04-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks

I removed my SuperDrive and installed my 7,200 RPM HDD using an adapter. I put a 120 GB SSD in the main bay. I put my SuperDrive into an external enclosure. I'm not a huge fan of the hybrid drives. My MacBook Pro boots in about 15 seconds on my SSD.

Don't forget that you lose 384 MB of RAM to your video card.

Crucial: 16GB - $125.99
    16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) Laptop/Notebook, CT3373717 from Crucial.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

Prox (04-04-2013)

Thanks

What would be the difference between the rpm? Faster loading, booting, fetching files etc..?

Thanks

The higher your RPM, the faster your I/O speeds are. This relates to startup, application loading, etc.

SSDs are a different ball game. Makes a massive difference.

Try running Geekbench: Geekbench - Cross-Platform Processor Benchmark

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

Prox (04-04-2013)

Thanks

Thanks

That’s about the average score. Scores go has high as 9383: MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011) - Geekbench Browser

What's your memory and CPU usage like in Activity Monitor?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

Prox (04-04-2013)

Thanks

3k more then mine D;
    Im gonna run snow, if anything happens well it happens. When my next check comes in, I'm going to upgrade the HD and ram. The only thing missing after that is the graphics card.

Thanks

Get a backup drive too!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

Prox (04-04-2013)

Thanks

external you mean? Well lets say when I get my new HD could I use this current one as a back up?

Thanks

External, yes. You could use your current drive as a backup. Time Machine does a good job.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

Prox (04-04-2013)

Thanks

Then thats what I'll end up doing, thanks a ton you've helped alot.

Thanks

My pleasure!

Thanks

Acutally I have another question, I have snow leopard disk given to me from a friend. I made a partition already and whenever I try to boot from the CD nothing happens, and when I hold the option key it doesn't show up. But once I get on my mountain lion and check the Cd everything is there it starts up just cant install it while running mountain lion due to me having a newer software already, inside theres a snow leopard.app and some other files.
    Is there a way around it? Can I turn the cd into a .dmg and then throw that into my partition or erase whats on it and put that there?

Thanks

Well this stinks. I was having trouble yesterday trying to retrieve my DVD it took me a hour. The DVD was physically stuck until finally a tiny bit came out and I pulled it out. It would try to eject it I could hear it but it wouldn't. Now my DVDs wont go in the drive. Something is blocking them from so, I'm going to assume something got moved. Going to open it up later and check it out myself, plus no warranty xD
    Last edited by Prox; 04-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks

Sorry about not getting back you you sooner.

Sounds like you will need fix your DVD drive first :P

You can use Disk Utility to restore a DVD to an HHD. You could partition a drive for it. Best an external, if possible. I have an external HHD with 10.5 - 10.8 on it.

Thanks

So much frustration just to revert. >.<
    I had a copy of sl from a friend, that wouldn't work. I would boot off it and my mac would just make a beeping noise, did it via usb since my dvd drive isn't working atm. Then I read around you need to use the original disk that came with your mac and now Im using that. But my disk drive doesn't work so Im turning the disk into a dmg on my dads windows laptop, until I saw the .dmg is 7.89 gb and my usb is 8gb but only has 7.26 for use -_-
    Actually while typing this I just thought about compressing the .dmg and splitting it into to files and transfer it over to my mac and then just use DU to restore the HD with the .dmg, and if that fails well then I'll just wait till tomorrow when I open it up with my father.