+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buying Macbook Pro 13 inch now or Later???

is a discussion within the

Macbook Pro

forums, a part of the

Laptops

section;
So I am currently able to buy a macbook this weekend and was definitely thinking about the 13 inch (i think 15 inch is too big for me). I use
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Buying Macbook Pro 13 inch now or Later???
    So I am currently able to buy a macbook this weekend and was definitely thinking about the 13 inch (i think 15 inch is too big for me). I use my computer for school, documents, and occasional gaming (Heroes of Newerth, CS, DOTA2 etc). I have an old Dell Studio 14 i7 8 gigs ram now and am looking to get rid of it/upgrade.

I am looking at the $1399 model
    2.9 ghz 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000

There's a $90 128 ssd upgrade which i think is definitely NOT ENOUGH space for anyone or anything and the 256 upgrade is another $300 bucks which is definitely out of my budget. So i'm keeping the 750 gig hard drive.

The ONLY thing worrying me is the Intel HD graphics 4000. I KNOW it's weak, but how weak? Will it run the games i play smoothly (even on low settings?). Please let me know or give me advice if you have this computer w/ these specs and play these games. Im assuming if it handles these games, it will definitely handle all my documents and school work.

Another thing i could do, which is tempting, is wait for the 13 inch retina displays to release. I just don't know when that will be or how much they will cost. I plan on spending max of $1500 ish and that's it. I feel like i Don't utilize a computer enough to spend over $1500 on it and I don't know if i will wait 2-3 more months for a new laptop to release because it PROBABLY won't even be in my price range.

Please let me know, all the reviews i've read are the "lower" end of the macbook 13 inch with the 1.5 ghz and 4 gigs ram. Any suggestion is appreciated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rivryan View Post
    So I am currently able to buy a macbook this weekend and was definitely thinking about the 13 inch (i think 15 inch is too big for me). I use my computer for school, documents, and occasional gaming (Heroes of Newerth, CS, DOTA2 etc). I have an old Dell Studio 14 i7 8 gigs ram now and am looking to get rid of it/upgrade.

I am looking at the $1399 model
    2.9 ghz 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000

There's a $90 128 ssd upgrade which i think is definitely NOT ENOUGH space for anyone or anything and the 256 upgrade is another $300 bucks which is definitely out of my budget. So i'm keeping the 750 gig hard drive.

The ONLY thing worrying me is the Intel HD graphics 4000. I KNOW it's weak, but how weak? Will it run the games i play smoothly (even on low settings?). Please let me know or give me advice if you have this computer w/ these specs and play these games. Im assuming if it handles these games, it will definitely handle all my documents and school work.

Another thing i could do, which is tempting, is wait for the 13 inch retina displays to release. I just don't know when that will be or how much they will cost. I plan on spending max of $1500 ish and that's it. I feel like i Don't utilize a computer enough to spend over $1500 on it and I don't know if i will wait 2-3 more months for a new laptop to release because it PROBABLY won't even be in my price range.

Please let me know, all the reviews i've read are the "lower" end of the macbook 13 inch with the 1.5 ghz and 4 gigs ram. Any suggestion is appreciated!
    the SSD would probably make some things a bit faster, but it may not be enough that you'd notice. 750GB HDD sounds like a wise choice.

If your Studio had an Intel GPU, you should find the HD 4000 a considerable improvement. If your old machine had the ATI GPU, the new Intel video might be a little faster. It shouldn't be any slower.

DOTA2 is supposedly playable on the Intel HD 3000 at low/mid settings.
    On the HD 4000, should be OK at mid.

Definitely less beefy than a good desktop GPU though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thanks a lot! Definitely not a "gamer" by any means but i do like to play occasionally. The big question is, ill end up paying $1500 ish (with tax) if i het one from apple this weekend. Thats a hefty amount in my mind, especially for a computer. Should i wait till possibly the release of 13 inch retina display? Does it make a bug difference? Think it will be NEAR my $1500 budget? Im thinking they will start around $2000. With that said, definitely don't wanna dish out that kind ofoney for a computer!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

The SSD will make a huge improvement in application launching, startup/shutdown times, and anything requiring high disk I/O. As for what drive to pick, I removed my DVD drive and put in a bracket so I could mount an extra HDD. I have a solid state and my stock 7,200 RPM drive. Keep in mind that not only do you get a slower HHD in the 13'' (5,400 RPM) and lower end graphics card, but you are limited to a max of 8 GB RAM.

Honestly, laptops can't be upgraded after-the-fact (cheaply at least), so rather spend more on a better model to start. You can always install larger, faster drives and more RAM after the fact.

The 13" retina (if actually released) will have a higher res screen and potentially have higher end processors that the non-retina. I'd expect the cost differences to be similar to the 15" MacBook Pros.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scoops98 View Post
    The SSD will make a huge improvement in application launching, startup/shutdown times, and anything requiring high disk I/O.
    That would be my hunch, (and consistent with what I've seen with desktop SSD systems) but most of the people I've known who dropped SSDs into their MacBooks have found performance less than expected.

It could have been some bottleneck that modernish hardware no longer has to contend with.
    Thanks for the reality check [assuming you've actually seen this yourself]

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

Not all of the MacBook Pros have SATA III. You definitely won't see the big improvements on SATA II. Plus, Apple only allows TRIM on OEM SSDs. There are third party tools to enable, but I have no idea if it's effective or not.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I bought the 13" you are considering. I also purchased 16GB of RAM and an SSD.

I moved the HDD into the optical drive bay, and installed the new SSD into the old HDD spot. This machine flies. The sata connection to the original HDD location is indeed SATA3 and I am able to Write at 275 MB/s and Read at 500 MB/s on the SSD.

I opted for this setup instead of the rMBP because of the upgradability, and couldn't be happier. If you got any questions let me know.