+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Macbook Pro

is a discussion within the

Macbook Pro

forums, a part of the

Laptops

section;
I've been looking around and I plan on buying a non-retina display MBP soon for school and I was wondering if the RAM in the non-retina version could be upgraded?
    Thanks

Question New Macbook Pro
    I've been looking around and I plan on buying a non-retina display MBP soon for school and I was wondering if the RAM in the non-retina version could be upgraded?

I know in the retina version that the RAM is soldered onto the logic board and cannot be upgraded by hand. I was wondering if the same applies for the non-retina display.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

It's only the retina display model that has hard-wired RAM.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

Zach B. (06-18-2012)

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

^false
    The non-retina MacBook pro and air were both updated with ivy bridge processors. Look at apple.com

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPod View Post
    ^false
    The non-retina MacBook pro and air were both updated with ivy bridge processors. Look at apple.com
    True they are all upgrade to the ivy bridge, not the non-retina display MacBook Pros DO have non-hard-wired RAM.

From the retina display MacBook Pro
    Memory
    More memory (RAM) increases overall performance and enables your computer to run more applications at the same time.
    The more memory your computer has, the more programs you can run simultaneously, and the better performance you get from your computer. Increasing the amount of memory in your MacBook Pro is an easy way to improve performance.
    How much memory is right for you?
    Choose the standard memory to support day-to-day tasks such as email, word processing, and web browsing as well as more complex tasks such as editing photos, creating illustrations, and building complex presentations.
    Max out the memory in your MacBook Pro with the 16GB option to enjoy the greatest possible performance for all your computing tasks.
    MacBook Pro with Retina display uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today — 1600MHz, Double Data Rate (DDR3L), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM) — ensuring that the Intel Core i7 processor is constantly fed with data without wasting clock cycles.
    Every MacBook Pro with Retina Display comes with 8GB of memory built into the system. If you feel you may need 16GB in the future, it is important to upgrade at the time of purchase, as RAM is not upgradeable in this model.

From the MacBook Pro with 4 GB of RAM (non-retina display)
    Memory
    More memory (RAM) increases overall performance and enables your computer to run more applications at the same time.
    The more memory your computer has, the more programs you can run simultaneously, and the better performance you'll get from your computer. Increasing the amount of memory in your MacBook Pro is an easy way to improve performance.
    How much memory is right for you?
    Choose the standard memory to support day-to-day tasks, such as email, word processing and web browsing, as well as more complex tasks, such as editing photos, creating illustrations and building complex presentations.
    Max out the memory in your MacBook Pro with the 8GB option to enjoy the greatest possible performance for all your computing tasks.
    MacBook Pro uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today — 1600MHz, Double Data Rate (DDR3), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM) — ensuring that the Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors are constantly fed with data without wasting clock cycles.

OWC sells PC3-12800 upgrade kits for the new models.
    Upgrade Memory for Apple MacBook Pro to 8GB, or 16GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM + SSD and Drive options up to 1.0TB - for all 13

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah ok I see what you meant, sorry about that

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Alright thanks and I plan on upgrading the RAM myself, would anyone be able to point me in the correct direction for decently priced RAM that is compatible with the new MBP?

Also what is the maximum RAM the MBP can support because I believe 8GB would be enough for my needs.

Thanks

Thanks

Btw, forgot to mention the non-retina display MacBook Pros can only take a max of 8 GB.

Thanks

Crucial.com is cheaper? It looks like OWC is a little cheaper to me and I would only need 8GB of RAM so I'll probably go for the 4GB x 2 kit.

Thanks!

Thanks