+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Macbook Pro Processor Speed/Can You Swap It Yourself?

is a discussion within the

Macbook Pro

forums, a part of the

Laptops

section;
I've saved up a decent amount of money to buy a MBP, but I'm going to wait for the refresh obviously. One of my main concerns on the current MBP's
    Thanks

Question Macbook Pro Processor Speed/Can You Swap It Yourself?
    I've saved up a decent amount of money to buy a MBP, but I'm going to wait for the refresh obviously. One of my main concerns on the current MBP's is the processor speed. I was looking at the 13" models which the $1200 one has 2.4Ghz dual core (i5) and the $1500 one which has 2.8Ghz dual core (i7). Is it really worth $300 for such an upgrade, is it even noticeable?

I know I can build my own hackintosh (tower) for half the price, but I'd rather not go through all the trouble of Apple always updating things and having certain components not work.

Also is it possible to change the processor yourself since it's a laptop processor or would it be too risky? (Plus voiding the warranty)

(Sorry if I sound like a little noob.)
    Thanks!

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

My wife got me a MBP last year for Christmas and its the 13" 2.4 and I gotta say i love it man. Won't ever go back to a pc. As far as changing anything im sure ya can but not sure about the warranty.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

Max out what you can when you buy. Can't just swap chips after the fact. I have the 2.5 GHz Quad. You get a larger cache and more brute processing power.

Building a Hackintosh is something to do if you want to fix your computer the whole and struggle with drivers, compatibility and bugs.

I would definitely stay away from modding the CPU after the fact unless you are really good. If you screw up, new logic boards (motherboard, CPU, GPU) from Apple are over $1000.

Wait for the hardware refresh and get a new one, or maybe a deal on the current models.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!