Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New MacBook pro and SSD

Default New MacBook pro and SSD
    So in August I'm going of to college and I'm buying a new MacBook Pro for my self and and I want to get a SSD from crucial instead of the Hdd that comes with the computer And apple's SSD is way to over priced. So my question is, is there anyway I can transfer over the operating system programs and everything else the new MacBook comes with to the new SSD??

If you are getting the SSD at the same time you should be able to simply install it in the MBP and use the install disks that come with the MBP to do a factory install.

On the other hand, if you are installing the SSD after you've been using the MBP I think you can clone the HD and transfer files and settings to the SSD. I think the Apple support website shows how to do this.

carbon copy cloner...

Carbon Copy Cloner - Home

just click download for free... its a really simple app to use just plug the new hard drive in (you might need a sata-usb cable, ebay <5) select everything on your old HDD and hit copy to new SSD

or you could use an "owc data doubler" or something along those lines to install both hard rives internally? best of both worlds! run the system and everything off the SSD and use the HDD for storage (movies pics mp3's etc)

hope this helps!!