+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Macbook Pro 13'' Inch Ram Install

is a discussion within the

Macbook Pro

forums, a part of the

Laptops

section;
Whatsup ModMyi fam! I got a few questions for you guys. So I recently purchased the 13'' MBP with the 2.7 i7 and I was wondering would this ram (
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Macbook Pro 13'' Inch Ram Install
    Whatsup ModMyi fam!

I got a few questions for you guys. So I recently purchased the 13'' MBP with the 2.7 i7 and I was wondering would this ram (Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 HyperX Plug n Play Laptop Memory Model KHX1600C9S3P1K2/8G) work on my machine. I've read people's stories on the web about the 1600mhz ram being compatible on 15's and 17's but i was just wondering if it would be on mine. And another thing would this work on the this years i5 13'' as well?

Thanks in advance guys!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

It'll work fine. I don't know if you will notice an increase in performance other than having more memory.

From Kensington's website: Kingston Technology Company - Memory Search - Modelsinfo

The Core i5 has the same bus as the Core i7 so the RAM will also work in a Core i5 model.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

whoRichard? (08-13-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks man. Will I see significant increase speed changes from 4GB to 8GB? I was reading around and people were saying the speed change from 1333 to 1600 is unnoticeable. True or false?

Thanks

You'll only see a benefit to more RAM if you are already using your full RAM capacity. i.e. Photoshop and Parallels Desktop both can use huge amounts of RAM. As for the RAM bring 1600 MHz opposed to 1333 MHz, I can't see you noticing a difference. A benchmarking tool like Geekbench might show an improvement, but real world usage, I don't think so.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

whoRichard? (08-13-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well right now I'll be doing some work, while playing some music, whilst browsing the web, and then all of a sudden the computer becomes unresponsive. I then go to check how much free ram I have left and its like 200MB/4GB. I'm assuming the memory upgrade should help me then. Thanks a lot man! Your advice/help has been of great help to me.

Thanks

For sure the upgrade will make a difference. I wish I could add more than my 4 GB! The upgrade also helps the fact that you lose 384 MB to your graphics card…

Glad I could help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Safari is memory hog
    Quote Originally Posted by whoRichard? View Post
    Well right now I'll be doing some work, while playing some music, whilst browsing the web, and then all of a sudden the computer becomes unresponsive. I then go to check how much free ram I have left and its like 200MB/4GB. I'm assuming the memory upgrade should help me then. Thanks a lot man! Your advice/help has been of great help to me.
    Your problem may be Safari (I hate to say) I am not sure if this is universal or not, but I sure have this problem. (current Safari v 5.0.5)

It seems Safari does not like to release memory when it is done and so keeps expanding forever and ever. This does not happen with Firefox nor with Camino, even tho I run a lot of Flash in Firefox. Unfortunately I like Safari the best, but I need to quit/restart the browser frequently

If you run the built in app "Utility Monitor" and select the "System Memory" tab, then sort by "Real Mem" you can watch Safari grow and grow.

Thanks

Safari can use a lot or RAM! With Safari 5.1, "webprocess" can overtake. Regardless of how Safari uses RAM, Inactivity Memory is more the issue. Inactivity Memory is RAM reserved for an application that previously used it so that you can quickly relaunch that application. OS X is supposed to release Inactivity Memory when other applications require it, but often is slow in doing so. Quitting and relaunching Safari will release the RAM and improve performance. There are third party apps that will free Inactivty Memory without having to restart.

Regardless, more installed RAM is always better!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scoops98 View Post
    There are third party apps that will free Inactivty Memory without having to restart.

Regardless, more installed RAM is always better!
    Actually not - RAM cost money and I should not have to pay more money because some programmers are to *^$*#@! lazy to clean up properly. This is particularly shameful for Apple itself!

What do you mean "Webprocess can overtake"???

Can you recommend a utility to free up Inactive Mem?

PS - Now that an 8GB kit is available for $57, I can afford to upgrade. And I do use a lot of power apps, so FOR ME the upgrade makes sense (Lightroom, Photoshop, 3 browsers, Word, Evernote, iTunes - this is my typical set up in 6 spaces with dual monitors, although I do not use Photoshop that often anymore with Lightroom doing 98% of the editing)

Still, most users should not need to upgrade just because Safari is a hog.
    Last edited by jmmx; 08-15-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks

Unfortunately, the nature of computer technology advancement requires one to upgrade. Software requires more resources to preform, yet one's hardware does change, often for years.

Webproccess (Safari Web Content) uses more RAM than Safari 5.1 itself. Not saying that Safari is the issue. Many apps use their fair share of memory. Restarting is still the best thing to free memory.

I don't know of any free applications for freeing RAM.
    iMemoryCleaner is $0.99 (iMemoryCleaner on the Mac App Store)
    I've used iFreeMem: Activata
    Last edited by Scoops98; 08-15-2011 at 04:15 PM.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Today I got my 8GB RAM upgrade from Crucial. I highly recommend the upgrade. Mac OS and its programs can easily bottleneck 4GB of RAM if you open a couple of programs up. I feel like my computer boots up slightly faster and I can start opening programs as soon as my desktop loads up. On top of things, I can run more RAM in my virtual machine which is helpful because now it's almost as fast as if I had booted up from BootCamp. I do recommend the upgrade, you will also gain more gaming memory which will provide you with some extra frames per second. Graphical multitouch gestures in Lion will move more fluently, and Dashboard widgets will load faster too.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-27-2011 at 09:57 PM.