+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HD questions with Mid2010 MBP

is a discussion within the

Macbook Pro

forums, a part of the

Laptops

section;
Hello everyone, I just bought a MBP last week. I love this machine, however I will be needing more HD space sooner than I thought. This is my first Mac,
    My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Default HD questions with Mid2010 MBP
    Hello everyone,

I just bought a MBP last week. I love this machine, however I will be needing more HD space sooner than I thought. This is my first Mac, so I am still a certifiable noob. I do learn quick though, LOL.

I was browsing around the web doing some research earlier, and now I have a few questions. I have the standard 13 inch 2.4 250 HD MBP@5400. Is it possible to upgrade to a 500gb HD @7200, or is that not recomended?

My main goal is to achieve as much HD space on the machine as possible. If I can increase speed and functionality of the machine then great, but if not I am not to terribly concerned.

FYI, I am using a 1T external for time machine, but am more interested in space on the actual machine as I am a national sales manager, and I attend college full time. Between my job, school, and the traveling I do, I would prefer to have the space on the machine vs traveling with the external.

I should of upgraded the machine at time of purchase, but I figured I could make the changes on my own, for a much more economical price. At least that is what I am hoping.

Thanks for any help guys,
    Tom

Thanks

Yes, you can upgrade to a 500 GB drive, but you will need to purchase it elsewhere.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

newegg would be the best options they usally have some really good deals there get the momentous xt drive i think thats what is is it has 4 gig ssd as a cache i think and 500 gig's 7200rpm i think its supposed to be 1 of the fastest drives you can get

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I upgraded my pro 15" 2010 with a 1tb western digital hd. Fitted myself restored via time machine and works like a treat! Was only about 100 bucks for the hd too!

Thanks

I actually just installed the Seagate momentus XT. Boot time is about 25 secs now and everything seems to be working great. It is a little louder than the manufacturer supplied HD but not that bad at all. I do have a little vibration now, but nothing that is bothersome at all either. I think it may have to do with the bolts that hold the HD in place. When I get the time I am going to move them out a little more and I suspect that will resolve the vibration issue. However, if that doesn't fix it, like I said, it inst bad at all so no worries.

From what I have read, the people who had had probs with this HDD didn't have their issues until about a month of usage. Until then I guess I will keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frankydan100 View Post
    I upgraded my pro 15" 2010 with a 1tb western digital hd. Fitted myself restored via time machine and works like a treat! Was only about 100 bucks for the hd too!
    thats what I am running

Thanks

Im now considering a ram upgrade but I am unsure it is worth it. Have any of you dont this upgrade and was it worth it?

Thanks

I upgraded to 8 GBs of ram and it did make a little difference. Not sure if it was worth the expense tho.

Thanks

I didn't think it would. I may just stay where I am at for now then. Thanks for the reply!!!

Thanks

Yea I wouldn't begin justifying that purchase