+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should I Buy a Macbook Air

is a discussion within the

Macbook Air

forums, a part of the

Laptops

section;
Hello all! I have been looking at the new Macbook Air that is coming out and have been looking foward to buying it in a month or so. I have
    What's Jailbreak? corrupt_pixel's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Should I Buy a Macbook Air
    Hello all! I have been looking at the new Macbook Air that is coming out and have been looking foward to buying it in a month or so. I have been hearing though that some people believe that the Macbook Pro has better performance than the Air. What do you fellas (and fellers) out there think? Is the Macbook Air better than the other Macbooks or does the Macbook Pro or just the Macbook beat the Air?

Thanks

It really depends on your use for the laptop. Obviously the specs of a Macbook or Macbook Pro are much better than a Macbook Air (Processor, RAM, Hard drive space), but obviously the Air is more portable because of its tiny size and weight...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm on my new 11" Air right now and think it's amazing!! I use my laptop for internet... Microsoft Office... HD Video playback and all my iPhone jailbreaking stuff. I would strongly reccomend ordering ir with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD which brings the price to $1199 minus the $50 education discount if you go through the education Apple Store (they don't verify student status).

If you will be doing any video encoding or editing then you'll need a better processor. I used a 2.53Ghz Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM for 18 months and this thing keeps up with the MBP for regular task no problem!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

pro>air

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    pro>air
    You can't make that kind of general statement since it's not true in all cases. I would say for my personal uses the Air > Pro. Better battery life than my pro... faster boot times... 30 day standby time... instant on.. don't have to worry about shutting down all the time.. can tote it around in my zip up work folder instead of an additional bag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    You can't make that kind of general statement since it's not true in all cases. I would say for my personal uses the Air > Pro. Better battery life than my pro... faster boot times... 30 day standby time... instant on.. don't have to worry about shutting down all the time.. can tote it around in my zip up work folder instead of an additional bag.
    I know

I'm just assuming for this guy that a baseline 13.3in MBP will be better. It has a 10 hour battery life (better than the air), it's basically instant on (from wake up) and it really only takes 20 seconds to boot it. For you air>pro, for him pro is probably > air.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (11-02-2010)

Thanks

My 2009 MBP took about 60 seconds to boot compared to 20 seconds on this Air. Battery life after 18 moths was down to 3-4 hours... less with heavy HD use so this one actually exceeds that model. The new ones I think have 7 hours... 10 for the 15/17 inch models. The MBP takes about 5-7 seconds to spin up the HD from sleep compared to 1-2 seconds on the Air. The biggest thing is the standby time. My MBP would be DEAD after 2-3 days on standby.... so I had to do a complete shut down every evening whereas now I only lose about 5% battery when I leave it on overnight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

the 2010 MBP is quite a bit better with battery. the 13 in has 10 hours, 8-9 for the 15/17in. Boot time for me is 20-30 seconds. There are things like the dashboard widget called deepsleep that will allow you to put it in hibernate. Smartsleep in a pref pan that lets you customize how it sleeps.

For people on the go, the air is an obvious choice. But for those that need a bit more power, go with the baseline pro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (11-02-2010)

Thanks

I prefer the Air if you are going to use it for Internet and Email on the go.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

thanks for the imput guys. ive read them all and it seems to me that the big difference between the air and pro are the ram (correct me if im wrong). i already have a windows 7 computer (tower) so that would be for big projects like major downloading and other ram consuming tasks. i would use the air or pro for portable purposes.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Another big difference is HD .vs. SSD.

Thanks

If you are looking for a little computer to take around with you, go for the air, but put 4gb ram in it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Take it from someone who was a PC all his life (Well since win 3.11)
    I just got the MBA 13in 128 ssd 2gb ram.
    This thing is slicker than cat sh*t on a linoleum floor. As far as the storage goes, it wasn't so much of an issue as I have a NAS box with 2tb and can reach that anywhere I have a internet connection. The screen resolution is very good and the portability is perfect. I may miss an optical drive at some point, but a USB add on cdrom isn't a deal breaker. You will be happy trust me. Although I didn't see the need for the 4gb ram for what I do with it, it is a better add on now. I see this keeping me happy for a few years to come, then who knows maybe a 17" MBP.

BTW, I walked into the Apple store with my sons "Degree Audit" and since we have the same first and last name (diff middle name which wasn't on it) I was able to get the edu discount. Lol a 43 yr old man taking Electrical Engineering with 20 yr olds.

Smitty

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yes! I'm about to get one as soon as I sell my Macbook Pro. I'm getting the 11.6 1.4/2GB/64GB. The base 11.6 one.

Thanks

is the extra $100 for a 13.3" screen worth it or is the 11.6" just as good?

iPhone? More like MyPhone taxbax's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course it matters what youre doing, thats why they make different models. I have top of the line MBP and a top of the line 11" MBA. I love them both for different reasons and am lucky to have both. If you can only buy one, get an air, unless you will be working with video, then youd need an MBP. But even Graphic editing runs great on on my air with 4gb ram and the ssd. Just dont get 2gb ram, youll thank yourself because its not user upgradeable. the ssd is though.