+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Do You Clean Or Free Up Hard Drive Space?

is a discussion within the

Mac Tips, Tricks & Mods

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How Do You Clean Or Free Up Hard Drive Space?
    I always like to make sure my Mac's are tidy as I feel if I don't keep control then my performance will not be as nice.... like with Windows... the more you had on it and moved things around the slower it got... and also the cash within the browser after awhile I could not bookmark sites because of this...

Well with my Mac's this is what I do to keep it tidy...

1. The first program I bought was AddZapper... and it does a good job! Even though it was posted in the software section I like to let people see what the program does in detail... so use AddZapper go through your application folder and remove anything you don't need anymore or don't use. If you just move the program to your trash and delete it... it doesn't remove the hidden files associated with the program. AddZapper gets them all... When you Zap them it makes a cool outer space gun sound when its done...

AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot.

2. The second thing I do is delete photos I no longer need in iPhoto. Once I delete them in iPhoto I make sure to delete them from iPhotos trash.

3. I open up iTunes and delete any music I don't listen to or don't like anymore and podcasts.

4. The Second program I use is Monolingual and what it does is remove unnecessary language resources from Mac OS X to reclaim several hundred megabytes of disk space...

Monolingual

5. I also spend some time going through my Documents, Movies and Picture folder and delete what I don't use anymore or need.

6. In Mail, I delete old mail messages that I don't need anymore.

7. I also go to ~Library/Cashes/ and delete anything I see from applications I no longer have installed.

8. I also go to /Library/Preferences and do the same thing as in step 7

9. I also go to ~/Library/Safari and delete the Icons folder. This stores all of the favicons on websites, which appear next to the URL. This can also speed up web browsing speed in Safari.

10. Also I have removed all demo songs within GarageBand.. go to ~/Music/GarageBand and remove the demo songs if you don't want them.

11. You also can remove all iChat icons as well. If you want to remove them go to ~Pictures/iChat Icons/.

12. I also like to use the program WhatSize. It lets me see the size in bytes of my folder and subfolders within it.

The Main Screen

Lets me see the Volumes

And also a piechart

id-design, inc. | WhatSize

13. I also use MacJanitor (Freeware). This program I use because I don't keep my computer one and awake 24 hours a day. The Unix subsystems on Mac OS X were originally written for machines that were typically never shut off. Mac OS X inherits this assumption in version 1.x, and has many system maintenance tasks that are scheduled to run between 3 am and 5 am. In addition, there are scripts designed to run weekly on weekends, and once a month in the middle of the night.

If these maintenance tasks are never run (such as on a laptop that is always shut off at night), many log files and system database will grow extremely large or fail to get backed up.

MacJanitor provides a way to run these system tasks at the click of a button. Laptop users could click the 'daily' button every morning (or every few days), or office workers could click the 'weekly' button on Mondays.

If you've been leaving your machine off at night without allowing the maintenance tasks to run for several weeks or more, the first time you run them using MacJanitor may take several minutes. Also, if your log files have grown extremely large and you are low on disk space, the tasks may have problems moving the files around and compressing them. After that, it typically takes less than a minute for each task.

The output of the task is displayed in the scrolling view in the bottom part of the window. If for some reason you feel the need, you may print the output of the system maintenance tasks (but why?...).

You can't really hurt anything by running the tasks more frequently than is intended, and they don't need to be run on a strict schedule. Just run them periodically when you get a free minute every few days or weeks.

Mac OS X Software

14. Another program one can use is OnyX and what it does is it allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure some hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, Dashboard, Exposť, Safari, Login window and of some of Apple's own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.

Automatically check update, verify the status of startup disk and the structure of system files at launch, parameter with precision the actions, modify the appearance of OnyX, increase the window transparency, chooose its icon and the toolbar icons among those proposed in the Preferences...

Titanium Software

14. I also use Macaroni. What this does is clean old junk from your Mac that you don't want or need...

Macaroni is a tool which handles regular maintenance for Mac OS X, including the Mac OS X repair privileges process as well as Unix-style maintenance. You could do this yourself, but don't you have more interesting things to do with your time?
    Macaroni remembers for you!
    Macaroni runs these maintenance tasks on a regular schedule, regardless of when your Mac is on. If a scheduled maintenance task is not run when it's normally scheduled, Macaroni automatically ensures that it's run at the next opportunity, whenever the Mac is on.

Cleans and Maintains
    Macaroni helps you by:
    Running improved versions of Mac OS X Unix maintenance, to clean out temporary and junk files that don't get removed otherwise.
    Repairing permissions.
    Removing language-specific files you don't need (save GB of disk space).
    Running your own custom maintenance jobs.

Macaroni | atomicbird

And the last thing I use is iDefrag. Even the guys over at Macrumors.com suggest using it. Here is my other post for the info about iDefrag.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/mac-sof...-your-mac.html

All and all this seems like a hole lot of work but it is not... I don't like my Mac's to be all clustered with crap that I don't use, need or want anymore... It makes me feel better that I know I have control of them.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

bhz1 (11-22-2008), C00per (06-13-2009), Cody Overcash (09-16-2008), mrblader (09-14-2008), whereisgraeme (02-01-2009)

Thanks

Great Post man... Thanks for the info and time put into this thread. Much appreciated

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrblader For This Useful Post:

hova47x (09-23-2009)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrblader View Post
    Great Post man... Thanks for the info and time put into this thread. Much appreciated
    Your welcome!

iPhone? More like MyPhone popmanbx's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you use just one of these programs, or a combination to get everything done? whaich would you recommend for a laptop that is left on all the time? I have a MacBook.
    I *hEaRt* my IpHoNe

http://twitter.com/#!/Loudmouth0

wanna be cool? Follow me

Thanks

Best app ever: http://www.derlien.com/
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

addzapper.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (10-16-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    addzapper.
    damn, you beat me to it.

and they used "add" zapper like 4 times!!!

Thanks

exactly what i was thinking!! lol
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

"theetoothfairy" - Great thread bud!

I am going to force my wife to read this for her 1st gen MacBook Pro! haha She is always stealing my externals and loading her extra stuff on them b/c she's out of room on her computer..: )

Thanks

Great post. Very helpful for a new-to-mac person like myself.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

iPhone? More like MyPhone popmanbx's Avatar
    Thanks

I just used that monolingual program and I got back soo much memory. More than I expected. Thanks for the tips
    I *hEaRt* my IpHoNe

http://twitter.com/#!/Loudmouth0

wanna be cool? Follow me

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have a simple buy contriverial way to clean your harddrive pay 29$ this September IF and only IF you have an intel mac and gain back 6GB of space with snow leopard if your on PowerPC use one of those binary cleaners and remove the intel parts of your binaries