Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Urgent!! Problem with Mac Mini

Default Urgent!! Problem with Mac Mini
    Hello, I have a somewhat new Mac Mini, it is only about 4-5 months old (bought it new at Apple the day after iLife 11 came out).

All of a sudden I was casually browsing the net, ironically, on Newegg looking for a harddrive enclosure because my Toshiba laptop crashed hours before this...

Anyway, the entire screen locks up, I can move the mouse, but it's stuck with the spinning beachball. Nothing else is responding. Cannot force quit, etc. So I manually reboot, all of a sudden I'm stuck at a blank white screen. A quick Google search dubs this as "White Screen of Death," no Apple logo, no anything. Nothing but a clicking noise from something that sounds like the HDD.

Things I have tried...
    -Zapping the PRAM
    -nothing
    -resetting the SMC/power
    -nothing
    -safe mode
    -still wouldn't get past WSOD
    -Tried all these other button combos on boot
    -nothing gets passed WSOD
    -Held ALT at boot in hopes of some kind of boot manager
    -nothing

Im not entirely convinced its the HDD yet because during searching, I found it could possibly be the RAM, Logic Board or GPU. But that clicking noise still worries me.

There are important files on this system such as homework, court files, etc that I have not had a chance to backup yet. Which would be something I really need come tomorrow.

I do have the Snow Leopard disc that came with it, which is about a 40 minute drive from here. Which is in the same town as the closest Apple Store. It's still technically under warranty, but Apple isn't responsible for data backup, and knowing them they'll bring me out a new Mac Mini to replace this one.

I thought I'd ask here if there is anything else I can do before taking the drive (Upstate NY doesn't have the best weather right now).

Thank you!
    Last edited by xhedgehogx; 02-06-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Typos