Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Linux on macbook pro

Question Linux on macbook pro
    Hi guys,

For my school we need to have linux on the laptops? Now i'm running mac os x and windows via bootcamp. But can I install linux somehow?

I've heard it is only possible in a virtual box , but that's not usefull I think.

Thanks in advantage,

Kind regards.

Thanks

So far, the only way to install Linux on a Mac is by Virtual Box, Parallels, and VMware. Well, I'm not sure about Parallels and VMware...
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Acutally it is possible, you could wipe your drive and install only linux on your Mac if you wanted, I have my macbook/iMac triplebooting, although it will require you to wipe your drive and install everything from scratch. But linux does pretty well in VMWare Fusion.

Yeah, will it not be slow in VMware fusion?

Thanks

It shouldn't be. I don't know how old or what the specs are on your macbook pro, but it should run fine. I had it running on my 2006 iMac 3GB of ram, 2.16ghz core 2 duo and it ran fine. What distro of linux did you want/need to use?

Oo ok, well I've got 2 mac's:

imac:

2.8 Ghz quad, 4 gig ram ddr3

macbook pro ( that is the one I'm going to need for my school because I can't take my imac with me , wish it was possible )

Is 2.8 Ghz dual, 4 gig ram
    Last edited by click66; 09-16-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks

I think you'll be able to run it with no problem on your MBP. As far as not being able to bring your imac.... iMac Carrying Case ilugger.com

loool thanks but it looks a little bit weird don't you think? If I take that to university

I run Ubuntu on my MBP in parallels. 32bit runs great! Once you figure out how to get parallels tools installed (through various terminal commands), it feels like it's running on it's own.

Twitter: @tshoults

Do I need to do terminal commands on mac to install parallels? I thought it was just a program?

no. parallels tools is a tool within parallels to help integrate it better. for example, with out them you would have to manually release the mouse from Linux to osx. with tools installed it automatically changes depending of what window you're over.

aa ok, can you give me a tutorial on how to do it right? Thanks btw for your help.

have you bought parallels yet? if so, what version?

Don't know any program, could you suggest me one?

Buy Parallels 6. It just came out and it's 40% faster than 5. it's $80 though. you should be able to get a student discount from somewhere though.

Just visited the website looks nice :-) Thanks for your help btw. What linux do you recommend? I'm going to get, assembly, java, C, php, ... this first year, the second year don't know yet

well, since you're running them as virtual machines, you can have as many as you want! I would start with Ubuntu 10.04, then see if that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    well, since you're running them as virtual machines, you can have as many as you want! I would start with Ubuntu 10.04, then see if that works for you.
    I've installed ubuntu on my macbook with parallels. Can you help me with the configuration that you said with that command line?

yeah man. I'll get on latter and try to see if I can remember it. just wanted to let you know I'm not blowing you off.

scroll down on the page and follow the instructions you see on the image. Installing Tools in Ubuntu 10.4 Guest - Parallels Forums

but start the process with the command: sudo -s to get super user privileges.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 09-27-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Linux on MacBook Pro
    You can run Linux on the MacBook Pro (in addition to Mac OS).
    Google it or join the forum openSUSE Forums
    I am running the latest openSUSE Linux on my MacBook Pro and it is not under VirtualBox or Parallels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast