Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: white macbook -> macbook air?

Default white macbook -> macbook air?
    Hey, does anyone have any idea how i can potentially turn an extra white macbook into a macbook air....or just a small light macbook without the optical drive? i'm willing to buy new parts such as cases, lcd, etc. but i want to keep the board, hdd, memory, and battery all the same. Basically, i'm trying to reorganize the entire things internals so if anyone has any ideas i'm willing to listen and i have experience taking apart all my macbooks, i have the 1.83 white, 2.0 white, 2.0 black, and 2.16 black models. thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by amar_85; 07-23-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks

Other than selling the extra ones and buying an Air, not sure I can help much lol..

Thanks

I own a macbook air and I have owned the white 1.83 and I will honestly say I sold a 17 powerbook and the 1.83 to buy my macbook air I gurantee you will not want those other computers ever again. Air Rules! Make sure you get the configuration that fits your needs.

Wink lol
    yea i know but i'm just trying to find some kind of project to undergo. i like personalizing my stuff and i was thinking of molding my own case out of carbon fiber to make it an ULTIMATE macbook air, lemme know if you guys have any ideas/advice

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ whoa. Please take photos during this process

shall do as soon as my camera comes back from repair...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Maybe you could make one out of wood like that dude did with his ipod?

damn, someone has basically done it already (MacBook Air Hacking - Carbon Fiber) and it looks wayyyy too complicated and time consuming for what i wanna do, props to him but maybe i'll try something different and a little bit more cost-effective...=)

Thanks

My best advice is to get a broken Air and change out the internals with fast processor and fit within the 0.76 thick shell. I have seen others attempt to make the white macbook have a lighted keyboard using a broken Air as donor.

have they successfully attempted the light up keyboard or u just saw the attempt?

Thanks

Success, for the lighted keyboard on a white macbook using an Air donor but he said he had to be very careful almost destroying both in the process..He took pics of each step but it was a success. I am not sure if it was on Youtube or even on this site in the mods section.. I only have a Air and I will tell you that I turned off the lighted keyboard and noticed a huge difference in battery levels. I think once you do the conversion the keyboard never dims it always stay on so some things to consider with battery levels.

i may try to put in my own led's underneath the keyboard so the letters dont light up but the entire keyboard emits light from underneath....or at least i'll see if its possible....and how much did it affect the battery, assuming they would get 4.5 hrs on a full charge w/o the lit up keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    I own a macbook air and I have owned the white 1.83 and I will honestly say I sold a 17 powerbook and the 1.83 to buy my macbook air I gurantee you will not want those other computers ever again. Air Rules! Make sure you get the configuration that fits your needs.
    yea i know, except the one i need would require a better processor and more memory, which is most likely why i will attempt to build one before i buy one.....not about the money its about the project at this point lol
    Last edited by amar_85; 08-03-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost