Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mountain Lion back to Lion

Default Mountain Lion back to Lion
    Is it possible by using time machine?
    If it is possible and I had files saved are they gone once I restore?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 7,007 Posts

Using time machine, no. Even if it worked it would probably put things back that shouldn't be there which would mess with stuff (happened to me while back when I attempted it from lion to snow leopard, had big issues with java in particular).

You would have to manually save anything you want to save and format and restore lion on your Mac. Then manually put everything back.

Drat there goes my idea of skirting Mountain Lion if I didn't like it.
    There's no real way to do that is there?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 7,007 Posts

Virtual machine is probably the easiest way to try it out to see if you like it.

It is possible to pick through the time machine drive for the files you want to copy back over. I have done it before when I wanted a clean install of OSX. I would clean install then manually copy over the pref files I wanted back and other data. Sometimes you hit a permissions issue but it is not hard to fix, mainly copy and paste not drag and drop seemed to cause me issues.

Well, for such trasfers I strongly recommend to go for some cloning tools like Stellar drive clone or CCC.
    Get all your queries satisfied at Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4: Transferring data with Setup Assistant / Migration Assistant FAQ